Head shots

dannobanano

Reaction score
This week the ugly highlight hit was the Earl Thomas/Mason Rudolph shot.
Watching that play was difficult, and you could visibly see how shaken the Steelers players were.

What’s it going to take before the NFL puts some real teeth into punishments for hits like this one and the Barnett/Williams hit, among others.

I would not be shocked if NFL would consider a targeting rule like college were you go after the head you would be ejected for half a game.

The play was reviewed to see if an ejection was warranted and it was not. #1 I am not fan or the NCAA targeting rule, while I agree you need to protect the player look no further than the 2 ejections on UW 2 weeks ago. I totally agree that the 2nd call was right and warranted but the first one what is a player supposed to do? QB was beginning an awkward slide and S had no chance to change direction. No matter how you structure the rule it comes down to interpretation

The play was reviewed to see if an ejection was warranted and it was not. #1 I am not fan or the NCAA targeting rule, while I agree you need to protect the player look no further than the 2 ejections on UW 2 weeks ago. I totally agree that the 2nd call was right and warranted but the first one what is a player supposed to do? QB was beginning an awkward slide and S had no chance to change direction. No matter how you structure the rule it comes down to interpretation

The last thing the NFL needs is more interpretation by the refs. They're going to require a PhD in Reffing and a back-up Masters in Philosophy by the time it's said and done.

I'm all for the rule. I realize it will take time to iron itself out, and I guess we're going to have to live with it. I don't agree on some of the hits, but the rule is what it is, and eventually we won't be seeing it being misconstrued as much as it is now, in the early going. Anyway, let's hope that's the direction it's going.

Back