High school football participation drops to lowest point since 1999

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net

This will become a problem if not addressed...the great equalizer the spread O didn't do what so many said. Thoughts ?

Packinatl

This will become a problem if not addressed...the great equalizer the spread O didn't do what so many said. Thoughts ?
Kids have more options, elite guys may only concentrate on one sport (hoops or FB) and in some areas soccer and dont laugh even gaming is an option, and CTE scare factors in. Not sure how you address it, so many studies out there that youth and millennials are not into the sport especially NFL

TW

Parents are directing their kids away from football. I love the sport, don't get me wrong. I played it myself, and coached. I also have a son who played at a fairly high level. But, I don't want my grandkids playing to be honest. The risk/reward based on concussions has pointed out things we never understood.

I think the numbers will continue to drop to be honest.

Packinatl

what's interesting is the state / regional breakout. 4 states in the B1G recruiting territory lost kids...Texas and Bama showed an increase

TW

Texas still calls football king. That will probably never change. We see people going into sports bars to watch games with a gun strapped on their hip. To me, that's a bar I don't care to ever visit.

GBP4EVER

Look at Milwaukee huge population but their teams are never good at football for most part as the kids rather focus on basketballl then be football players.

Packinatl

Look at Milwaukee huge population but their teams are never good at football for most part as the kids rather focus on basketballl then be football players.
Most of the population in the Milwaukee metro is not in Milwaukee county. Suburban schools do just fine. Best 2 hoops players are not city school kids

57packer

Draft Guru
2018 Draft Guru
The problem in the city of Milwaukee is partly about the focus on basketball but also partly on the lack of an organized way to get kids involved at the youth level. The facilities are poor and there are no youth feeder programs compared to the suburbs. Schools and coaches are trying but football is tougher than other sports. You need a large field and equipment - both are scarce and/or costly.

For basketball, you can find a hoop practically anywhere and essentially all you need are sneakers and a ball and you are good to go. I once watched a youth football team practicing on a rocky piece of grass adjacent to a factory parking lot. Nothing close to a regulation field.