How other results in Wisconsin men's hockey's idle week impacted national rankings

So it looks like Bucky cannot fall below 10 in Pairwise Rankings which guarantees them a spot in the tournament. I think 10 Pairwise is a precarious position, but what the hell do I know.

From what I've read, Bucky will probably be a 4 seed going in. Then it's just what mountain do they have to climb?

• Haha
Reactions: TW
I would bet Wisconsin is safely in.

Six conferences get an auto bid.

Two of them (Atlantic Hockey and the CCHA) are only going to get their tourney champ into the field.

Quinnipiac should get in from the ECAC regardless of how their season finishes. They start their conference tourney this week. Cornell is also in that league and is sitting on the Pairwise Bubble in a tie for 14th, and is likely out unless they win their tournament. If neither of those two teams wins, then the ECAC will get two bids, Quinnipiac and the tourney champ. If Quinnipiac wins, then I'd guess only they would go on.

Hockey East is sending at least three teams: BC (as the #1 overall seed), BU, and Maine regardless of who wins HE. That tournament also starts this week. The only thing that might throw a wrench into the works is if someone else wins the tourney. Providence is on the outside looking in as far as the Pairwise goes, and UMass is another bubble team that really needs to beat at least two of the leaders to have any kind of chance, even if they don't win the tourney.

The other added wrinkle is that if UMass does qualify for the tournament, they'll possibly throw off the seeding. As the "hosts" for a regional, they are guaranteed that regional should they make it to the field. (Same for Omaha, too)

But no more than four teams are coming out of Hockey East

The NCHC is going to send North Dakota and Denver, plus maybe a bubble team in Omaha/W.Mich/Col.College/St. Cloud. All four of those teams are solidly behind Wisconsin in the Pairwise, and currently only Omaha has a chance to make the NCAAs without winning the conference.

And that leaves the B1G. MSU and Michigan decide the tourney championship on Saturday. The winner gets the Auto Bid. Wisconsin would rather have MSU win, as that will keep Michigan behind us in the Pairwise, and may even see us swap places with Minnesota (who is only ahead of us by 0.0007 in RPI and has a worse winning %). Either way, one of the two Michigan teams will auto qualify.

By my count, there are currently 15 teams to fill 16 slots and it's those group of four teams from the NCHC or UMass who are the ones who are in truly precarious positions.

My guess is that Wisconsin gets the 3-seed in the Missouri regional (Minnesota will go to Sioux Falls, SD as a 3 if not a 2; if MSU wins they'll go to Providence as a 1-seed, if UM wins then both teams will head east to Providence and Springfield as 2-seeds)

You're probably right, but 6 auto bids leaves 10 spots. Bucky SHOULD be in, but...

You're probably right, but 6 auto bids leaves 10 spots. Bucky SHOULD be in, but...

I should hope so. The 15 teams that I ID'd includes potential upsets in ECAC, HE, and NCHC.

And by upsets, i mean true outsiders crashing the party. HE should go to one of the three that is going to the dance anyway. NCHC should go to one of the two going to the dance anyway. The only true tossup is ECAC where Cornell is very likely getting excluded unless they win. The committee might see a finals loss for those guys differently and we'd have an extremely unlikely scenario where ECAC sends 3 teams, but then that still just gets us to 16.

My 15 looks like this:

ECAC champion + Quinnipiac
Hockey East champ + BC, BU, and Maine
NCHC champ + NoDak and Denver
B1G champ + Minn, UW, MSU/UM (one of them is champ)
Atlantic Hockey champion
CCHA champion

The only real threats to that setup are Omaha, Cornell, and UMass and none of these teams is in a position to move Wisconsin out of the way. UMass would have a heck of an argument if they beat BC on Friday and lose to Maine/BU on Saturday, but then Maine/BU goes as HE champ and UMass takes their place in my 15.

I should have checked, but NCHC tournament has already started and W. Mich and Col. College are already out. Omaha has NoDak on Friday and Denver gets St. Cloud St.
St. Cloud needs to win the tourney to get in, I am very sure about that. Omaha may get there if they beat NoDak but lose to Denver. They won't get there if they beat NoDak and lose to St. Cloud.

Really it's only Cornell that could be a bugger in this thing, but even then, they are the 16th team if they don't win the ECAC but still make it.

Wisconsin had a rather embarrassing conclusion to B1G play, but not, I believe, a season ending one.

I should hope so. The 15 teams that I ID'd includes potential upsets in ECAC, HE, and NCHC.

And by upsets, i mean true outsiders crashing the party. HE should go to one of the three that is going to the dance anyway. NCHC should go to one of the two going to the dance anyway. The only true tossup is ECAC where Cornell is very likely getting excluded unless they win. The committee might see a finals loss for those guys differently and we'd have an extremely unlikely scenario where ECAC sends 3 teams, but then that still just gets us to 16.

My 15 looks like this:

ECAC champion + Quinnipiac
Hockey East champ + BC, BU, and Maine
NCHC champ + NoDak and Denver
B1G champ + Minn, UW, MSU/UM (one of them is champ)
Atlantic Hockey champion
CCHA champion

The only real threats to that setup are Omaha, Cornell, and UMass and none of these teams is in a position to move Wisconsin out of the way. UMass would have a heck of an argument if they beat BC on Friday and lose to Maine/BU on Saturday, but then Maine/BU goes as HE champ and UMass takes their place in my 15.

I should have checked, but NCHC tournament has already started and W. Mich and Col. College are already out. Omaha has NoDak on Friday and Denver gets St. Cloud St.
St. Cloud needs to win the tourney to get in, I am very sure about that. Omaha may get there if they beat NoDak but lose to Denver. They won't get there if they beat NoDak and lose to St. Cloud.

Really it's only Cornell that could be a bugger in this thing, but even then, they are the 16th team if they don't win the ECAC but still make it.

Wisconsin had a rather embarrassing conclusion to B1G play, but not, I believe, a season ending one.
I so want to rest easy and believe you.

I don't see any way the Badgers can be left out of this tournament field. They have the body of work that makes them a lock in my opinion. In fact, I think they're going to slide in somewhere in the middle of the pack.

Back