Interesting off season diagnosis of Packers

The modern NFL era makes it impossible to have a powerhouse that will make deep playoff runs and contend for SBs every year. The era of the Pack, Steelers, Cowboys, etc... winning multiple SBs in a short period of time is pretty much gone. The exception was NE however they have an easy division, and even their roster was drastically different from year to year. NEs greatest advantages were solid OL/DL and a QB who's wife made more than him so he could agree to very very team-friendly contracts to allow spending on FA year after year.

The modern NFL under Goodell has made sure that even the suckiest, worst, most pathetic teams in the NFL will make dumploads of money. So there is less and less incentive for greedy owners to take monetary risks to put together winning teams. Sure, there are a few owners who still try but not many who really put forth much effort or risk. We are in the era of football as a business, not football as sport-focused.

Which leads to the current system. An NFL team really has 3 choices right now, A) be a team like the Packers who has a great QB who will keep them relevant in the regular season and give them at least some chance in the playoffs. This is the team who has a figurehead of the franchise, like Arod, Brees, Brady (up till last year), Rothlisberger... and B) the team who strikes gold with a QB in the draft and happens to be able to assemble a team around them for a SB run before they have to pay that QB like SEA, KC, PHI... and C) be content with sucking balls because the NFL makes sure you are still rich despite how much your fans hate you (ahem CLE I'm looking at you).
Ted's theory of "We have Aaron Rodgers, we're gonna outscore teams," can legitimately be called into question at this point.

On the one hand, with that QB, your eggs are all in that one basket. On the other hand, it's harder to have multiple defensive players on rookie contracts than just one QB.

Either way, you gotta eventially pay the QB.

On the one hand, with that QB, your eggs are all in that one basket. On the other hand, it's harder to have multiple defensive players on rookie contracts than just one QB.
Disagree. Grady Jarrett and Dee Ford combined is what Rodgers gets as AAV as an example. So 2 all pros on defense

You're absolutely right. You can't stay at that level for extended periods of time. The cap situation kills you. That's why I don't think the Packers are going to invest one nickel into extending Rodgers' contract. They'll make a two year offer with more incentives than base, then walk him out after the first year, letting Love have the job, good or bad. The Smiths will be going, we'll probably lose the only WR we have (Adams), and the three guys we have on the offensive line who are mainstays will also be gone.

Then we hear about the "youth movement," as it's making the team more competitive. Any guesses as to how many times I've heard that?

This is usually followed by several years of complacency and reduction of long term contracts, and eventually, a new set of leaders who vow that this will not happen under their watch. Then they work for a championship. But, that probably won't even begin until around 2025 or 26.

I stopped in to get cheered up but this right here has me down in the dumps again!! Nice going TW. Spot on as usual but depressing none the less!

I stopped in to get cheered up but this right here has me down in the dumps again!! Nice going TW. Spot on as usual but depressing none the less!

Sorry. Didn't mean to do that.

Sorry. Didn't mean to do that.

No worries. You spoke the truth. It could be very much like you stated it. I still have that late 70s early 80s wariness. I would hate to go down that road again

No worries. You spoke the truth. It could be very much like you stated it. I still have that late 70s early 80s wariness. I would hate to go down that road again

You're young. The wariness crept in in the late 60s

Thankful I am, then, that i am a student of history. Otherwise, even though I was alive to see it, I can't remember a time before Brett Favre and the team being good all the time.

Thankful I am, then, that i am a student of history. Otherwise, even though I was alive to see it, I can't remember a time before Brett Favre and the team being good all the time.
Lynn Dickey used to sling it to Coffman, JJ and Lofton. Was good for a bit

Back