Kizer vs Boyle - Winner take all

TW

Reaction score
This is Kizer's 3rd year, and Boyle's 2nd. Against the Ravens, neither played that well, yet, Boyle's stats in this game, and the previous, show a fairly remarkable 112.2 passer rating, whereas Kizer's is 94.8, which in itself, is not bad at all.

But, as much as I was able to view the way both handled themselves, there was one key difference that I saw. Kizer was constantly high on his throws, often setting up his receivers for some serious hits, and in many cases, he'd throw high at the sidelines, more intent on avoiding an INT than making a completion. He showed very little trust in his receivers.

On the other hand, most of Boyle's mistakes were throwing the ball short of his receivers, and even into the ground. As I looked back at those pitches, I questioned one thing. The routes. Were they really supposed to be run into the defenders, or under them? His pitches into the dirt were to receivers who failed to run under defenders, and were running pretty much into the teeth of the coverage. The throws may have been as much intentionally short, or even as an attempt to put the ball where it was supposed to be, if the receiver ran his route properly. Then, counted among his incompletions were four dropped passes, including one by Kumerow, who has obviously emerged as one of our better receivers over the course of the preseason, and if he's cut, it would tell me these coaches are morons. He's going to be one of those guys who Rodgers trusts to throw the ball to, and that's a huge part of the success of any passing game.

As far as the premise that the Packers are going to be a running team, that may work for a short period of time, but as soon as dings and minor injuries start to slow our runners, which could come quickly, we're going to be relying on Rodgers' arm once again.

So, when will the Packers begin to feature their running game? It will happen as soon as they end up with a pedestrian QB who can only be a game manager, not a game changer. It's the nature of the NFL.

So, when will the Packers begin to feature their running game? It will happen as soon as they end up with a pedestrian QB who can only be a game manager, not a game changer.

then they better find a durable running back who can carry that kind of load before that happens.

back on topic. i don't think either one of them is particularly good, but i think you've done a decent job of analysis. i'd throw in one more subjective measure. kizer is not a winner. what are the odds of a professional qb starting their career 0-15? i've seen all i need to see to know he can't get the job done.

the fact that he was thrown in with the starters (due to rodgers' back) was actually a pretty good test to see how far he's progressed since last season. the answer is "not much". we still have not seen how boyle would do if he was working with the starters - or at least the second string. and yet he still has better stats than kizer, which says a lot i think.

You have to hope Gute is watching them play and know if anything would happen to 12 that neither of these guys could fill in for even a short time and is watching guys who might be cut or be able to trade a late round pick for at end of camp.

I can’t see any team in the league giving trading or cutting a serviceable backup QB. And if one is discussed in trade the price tag is going to more than a late round pick, supply and demand.

The problem with Kizer is the inability to read progressions and make decisions. His instinct is one read or run and that’s not going to cut it vs defenses that are for the most part base with no disguise in preseason. I get Boyle was underwhelming vs Baltimore but his pocket presence is decent, arm. Is above average and seems to read the field better but again vs vary vanilla sets on D.

The inability to draft an adequate backup has been an issue for a few years and it’s coming back to haunt them. Would he have been better than what we got who knows but you would have more to work with

SBNation broke down the NFL back ups around the league. I don't totally agree with their decision as to how they evaluated them, but I think it's great that we have a fairly accurate picture of where most teams stand as far as who their back up QB will be in 2019. Of course as much as 25%, maybe more, will change, so don't use this as an argument point in what we're discussing.

What I'm pointing out with their listing (you can read the entire article on this link NFL Back-up QBs 2019) is that there's really not a lot of back-up QBs out there that can lead a team to a run in the playoffs. The league has changed enough that it's difficult hanging onto a solid back-up. I obviously think Kizer is a total waste for the Packers, and believe Boyle would have a better chance of keeping us in games.

How does Boyle stack up against all of them out there, as back-ups? He lacks experience, but could, in a year, fit somewhere in the middle of the list of teams back-ups. Just not now, and at 16 or 17, that would never be good enough to lead the Packers into the playoffs unless the running game excelled, and our defense became stingy when it comes to points on the board.

Tier I: Guys who could acceptably start in worse situations

Jacoby Brissett, Colts
Tyrod Taylor, Chargers
Teddy Bridgewater, Saints
Nick Mullens, 49ers
Ryan Tannehill, Titans
Case Keenum, Washington

Tier II: Our bridge to the future. Maybe

Drew Lock, Broncos
Daniel Jones, Giants
Josh Rosen, Dolphins

Tier III: Career backups

Brett Hundley, Cardinals
Matt Barkley, Bills
Chase Daniel, Bears
Drew Stanton, Browns
AJ McCarron, Texans
Chad Henne, Chiefs
Brian Hoyer, Patriots
Trevor Siemian, Jets
Tom Savage, Lions

Tier IV: Veteran mentors

Matt Schaub, Falcons
Robert Griffin III, Ravens

Tier V: Former starters who no longer (or never did) have it

Blake Bortles, Rams
Mike Glennon, Raiders
Blaine Gabbert, Buccaneers
Tier VI: Possibly in our long-term plans, but possibly not ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Will Grier, Panthers
Gardner Minshew, Jaguars
Nate Sudfeld, Eagles
Joshua Dobbs, Steelers

Tier VII: Young guys who look in no way ready

Jeff Driskel, Bengals
Cooper Rush, Cowboys
DeShone Kizer, Packers
Sean Mannion, Vikings
Paxton Lynch, Seahawks

So what about trading for CJ Bethard from the 49ers? He nearly beat GB in GB last year and was passed on depth chart when Mullins replaced him because of a injury and just played really well and took over that backup spot making Bethard moveable.

Trades are going to be difficult if not impossible. The ask will not be late round picks, the demand exceeds the supply. And then does he fit the system? Can he learn and pick up the system fast?

Back