Looking at Rodgers Stats

TW

Reaction score
I decided to look at a complete breakdown of Rodgers stats. The best source is the NFL's situational stats site on individual players. Aaron Rodgers Situational Stats

A few things I wanted to see. Rodgers is in the top 4 in the league when it comes to 4th quarter QB rating. 105.6.
1st quarter: 96.9
2nd quarter: 98.8
3rd quarter: 82.6
4th quarter: 105.6
When we're within 7 points, in the 4th quarter, it drops to 82.2. It's when he's at his worst.

Those 3rd quarters and when we're behind by less than 7 that's killing us. I would like to say differently, but I still believe it's because McCarthy becomes conservative at the worst time, coming out of the tunnel at halftime. Rodgers TD passes by quarter are 6, 10, 1, 8. It shows the lack of a passing game in the 3rd quarter, despite the fact that it's that quarter that has his highest completion percentage of 66.7.

I think his numbers are great late because opposing teams have been up big and go into prevent mode. We've scored a lot of garbage points in recent weeks. 3rd quarter, as you say, has been awful. Other teams adjust at half time, MM doesn't. I'd have to look at play by play to confirm but I think MM tries to re-establish the run game in the second half and it of course goes nowhere. Defense melts in the 3rd, we go down by a few more scores, then we need to go pass crazy hence the uptick in 4th Q rating.

One number that is not shown here is time of possession by half and number of possessions by half. Lets face it defense has been awful the past few weeks especially in the second half I agree McCarthy tries to reestablish the run but how much of that is to keep the defense off the field

I'm sure he's trying to protect his D and keep them off the field, but he's really just in a bad spot. What do you do better with what you have? Run the ball to move the chains, or throw to move the chains? It's obvious to me but this is McCarthy, he's stubborn, puts his foot in the ground and tells each player you all have to win your match-ups all at the same time, and if we just do that we'll succeed. But he doesn't have the horses to do that so we get the sh*! show.

Not to hijack this thread, but with McCarthy I know it's not just him but I just don't see how this the vet players on this team ever really buy into his message again.

Quick stats search.

Last 3 games Time of Possession GB
1st Half 52%. 2nd Half 48%

Washington game
1st Half 60% 2nd Half 41%

When you break that down by minutes it's significant and points to the lack of offense in the second half

I'm not saying McCarthy is immune from criticism here but there are multiple factors in play here.

In addition the AR article and numbers from pro football focus also tell another story.

Well done here and very interesting read! thumbsup

Back