Mark's Mock 2.0

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
Okay, so I feel like we complete this Rodgers trade before the draft but no idea on picks so this a very simple no trades/no extra picks mock.

The early rounds could play out a lot of different ways but here is current think without anyone else moving up/down:

Round 1. Quentin Johnston, WR, TCU

I think he drops because of luck and others lusting for QB, Huge get for GB, He’s a precise route runner, creating separation when used on quick outs and stop patterns in college. Johnston has good stop-start ability and lateral agility,excellent downfield, accelerating to top speed quickly and stacking on top of cornerbacks. He has excellent body control, contorting to make difficult catches and working well on back-shoulder throws. Could well have the best combination of speed, acceleration, and size of any wideout in the class. Instant starter opposite last years #2 pick.

Round 2. Jartavius 'Quan' Martin*, S/CB, Illinois
Packers are thrilled he's on the board, Martin can play safety, nickel corner, or outside corner. Martin is a smooth athlete with solid instincts. Can track the ball downfield and gets his head around when playing in a trail position, and Martin shows excellent ball skills when breaking on a route. He’s a plus tackler in run support as well. Really a late riser but he's so versatile GB can't afford to leave him on the board.

Round 3. Tucker Kraft, TE, South Dakota State
Raw talent but still a much-needed injection of said talent in GB, Excellent as both a run and pass blocker. Is a mauler in the run game and maintains a powerful wide base while in limited action as a pass blocker. Has developed into a good athlete. Looked impressive at the combine where most of his measurables were in top 75th percentile, Super versatile player - can line up inline, outside, and in the slot. Does need coaching but fits the need in this offensive system.

Round 4. Jaren Hall, Quarterback, BYU

GB needs more arms and seems to like Hall, wouldn't be surprised if they sign a UDFA as well.

Round 5 A. Matthew Bergeron, OT, Syracuse
Shouldn't be round 5 but GB jumps at the chance.... a solid OL prospect.

Round 5 B. Jalen Wayne, Wide Receiver, South Alabama
We need more than 1 WR in this draft, great find late by GB.

Round 7 A: Dorian Williams, OLB, Tulane

A nice depth player for the LB corp

Round 7 B: Evan Hull, RB, Northwestern

Depth RB here

Round 7 C: Jake Moody, K, Michigan

Round 7D: Riley Moss, CB, Iowa

I watched a couple of games with Quentin Johnston at TCU, on TV. Also, some highlight films after the combine. He reminded me of Greg Jennings in a lot of ways. Long strides, quick for his size, long arms, big hands, good routes, excellent hip rotation when changing directions, so he doesn't slow down.

A couple of things that need work. He needs to catch the ball with his hands out further. He has a tendency to want to get the ball into his body, and in the NFL, it will be stripped away. Also, he needs to learn to get his body between the defender and the ball coming at him. He likes to reach, often a little too short armed.

Then there's the question of him blocking, and running routes that are decoys. He doesn't always follow through on them. His blocking needs a lot of work. He needs to learn how to square up his blocks to make them effective, and stay on it, not releasing after impact.

He could end up a solid pick, if taken.

Johnston had terrible numbers in his agility drills, teams will need to evaluate whether or not that shows up in his play. DK Metcalf also had terrible agility numbers but he also ran 4.3 and jumped out of the building - and even then he still fell tot he 2nd round. Johnston isn't nearly as fast (4.5 flat) or athletic, I can see him falling as well.

Johnston had terrible numbers in his agility drills, teams will need to evaluate whether or not that shows up in his play. DK Metcalf also had terrible agility numbers but he also ran 4.3 and jumped out of the building - and even then he still fell tot he 2nd round. Johnston isn't nearly as fast (4.5 flat) or athletic, I can see him falling as well.
If GB trades back 5-10 spots Johnson being a guy you take 20-25 would not be so bad.

If GB trades back 5-10 spots Johnson being a guy you take 20-25 would not be so bad.
I'm only speculating but he could be off their board or way down it, like Metcalf was. Supposedly they really like Hyatt (I assume in that pick 20 or under range)

I'm only speculating but he could be off their board or way down it, like Metcalf was. Supposedly they really like Hyatt (I assume in that pick 20 or under range)
I would take Hyatt if he's there for GB in 2nd round but not sure I would move up into 1st to get him.

Back