McCarthy: Quartet of injured starters will go through pre-practice evaluation

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Green Bay — The following is a summary of Packers' coach Mike McCarthy's pre-practice press conference Wednesday:

- (On this week's mood) It's definitely a different week in that we're playing a different opponent, an uncommon opponent. There's a lot of people in our locker room who never played against the Chargers. ... We're focused on the Chargers. They're somewhat like we are, going through some injuries and things like that.
- (On an uncommon opponent) You look at the way their first five games have gone, they've had a lot of people in and out. Getting (Antonio) Gates back Monday night against Pittsburgh helped them.
- (On examining Monday night's game) Rivers is an outstanding quarterback, and really his command at the line of scrimmage — you talk about Aaron and Brady and Manning and Philip Rivers. ... He does a good job getting the ball to his key people. Very impressed with the receiver corps. ... This is a big challenge. There's a reason why their numbers on offense are No. 3 in the league.
- (On Melvin Gordon) I think he's doing a good job. Just coming out of the defensive meetings, he has good tape. ... He's one of three backs that they use, but I think he's making a nice adjustment.
- (On health related with the bye week) I know I've used the term "high side of caution" but that's more of a medical philosophy. My philosophy is if the guys are healthy, they should play. If they're not healthy, they shouldn't play. ... No one is 100 percent and won't be for some time.
- (On Davante Adams, Morgan Burnett, T.J. Lang, B.J. Raji) I know they're all going to try to do some things in the pre-practice and then we'll go from there. Nick Perry is the farthest one away.
- (On running struggles last week) We answered those questions Monday. Very good front. It's a different game plan, different defense (this week) as far as the design.
- (On Randall Cobb) He's definitely someone that could have played in the 1960s or the 1990s. He's a different type that way. Again, I'm not going to get into the definition of health. I think it's a real credit to Randall the man in what he's done so far.
- (On Gates' performance Monday) It looked like he didn't lose a step, that's for sure. He looked good. ... He looks as good as the last time we played them, and that's been quite some time.
- (On Rodgers after turnovers) You win a game by 14 points in this league, that's a decisive victory. But then you break it down in all three phases and so forth. Monday was a little rough in that room. ... I had a chance to talk with him yesterday. He's looking forward to adjusting and moving forward against (the Chargers).
- (On the Packers' defense this season) It's important for us to be a well-balanced football team. For as great as 2011 was, winning 15 regular season games, it was a big piece of humble pie. You get into that playoff race and things are different, the competition is different. ... It's about playing to a standard of football. ... That's why this challenge against San Diego is so tough to me. They have a high-powered offense and a defense that gets off the field on third down.
- (On defensive success) I think you have to give the players and the defensive staff a lot of credit for the fast start. ... We're a year older, most of the guys are back from last year. They have a better understanding of the system.
- (On pass rush success) I thought '07 was a good group. We were a different defense with a four-man line, basically. But I think we can be that type. I think we definitely have a chance to be the best in 10 years.

Continue reading...

I like that it was rough in the tape room on Monday. AR is ticked off at his performance and the offenses.

Good thing for us this week, IMO.

Back