Murphy's Enigma Wrapped in a Paradox

Cheesedog

Reaction score
Mostly cause i'm bored waiting for the family to decide what to do today.

So you're Mark Murphy or the BOD... What do you do? Here are the options as I see it:

-Get rid of MM. Seems simple enough and what most agree needs to happen.. HOWEVER, this looks like you sided with your QB over your HC, and therefore given your QB an ego boost and power in the organization. He just won a power struggle after all.

-Keep MM and make them work out their differences.. Both are too stubborn to change. So you invite more dysfunction within the org. and try to make it seem like the damage is being repaired. And everything sinks even lower.

-Trade your QB. I know, I know, he just signed a huge contract and isn't trade-able right now.... Or is he? This is the only option Murphy has to not make it seem like your QB won a power struggle with your HC and will put to rest questions that your QB can get your HC fired for not doing what he wants.

-BOD fires the lot of em (including your GM which is really just a highly paid scout at this point). Which still makes it seem like your grumpy QB wins the power struggle, but at least gives them the chance to rebuild and start over. Except it probably takes the rest of your star Qbs career to get back to serious SB contention and then you're looking for a new QB.

This all goes back to GB keeping TT for 2-3 years longer than they should have. TT kept MM for 3-4 years longer than he should have. It's a mess and the BOD on down deserves blame for not being able to see the current trainwreck coming. I don't see how Murphy can work himself out of this.

GB right now is Sears. Kept it's head in the sand for too long while the industry changed around them, and when it finally had to face the problems head on it was too late.

So serious question, how does GB right the ship with the least amount of damage to the team/org? I'm talking from an organizational standpoint and team philosophy. Cause right now there is none. Murphy is trying to plug the dike with his fingers. Doesn't seem there is a long range plan... Well, other than Titletown District but that isn't gonna win you games.

Mostly cause i'm bored waiting for the family to decide what to do today.

So you're Mark Murphy or the BOD... What do you do? Here are the options as I see it:

-Get rid of MM. Seems simple enough and what most agree needs to happen.. HOWEVER, this looks like you sided with your QB over your HC, and therefore given your QB an ego boost and power in the organization. He just won a power struggle after all.

-Keep MM and make them work out their differences.. Both are too stubborn to change. So you invite more dysfunction within the org. and try to make it seem like the damage is being repaired. And everything sinks even lower.

-Trade your QB. I know, I know, he just signed a huge contract and isn't trade-able right now.... Or is he? This is the only option Murphy has to not make it seem like your QB won a power struggle with your HC and will put to rest questions that your QB can get your HC fired for not doing what he wants.

-BOD fires the lot of em (including your GM which is really just a highly paid scout at this point). Which still makes it seem like your grumpy QB wins the power struggle, but at least gives them the chance to rebuild and start over. Except it probably takes the rest of your star Qbs career to get back to serious SB contention and then you're looking for a new QB.

This all goes back to GB keeping TT for 2-3 years longer than they should have. TT kept MM for 3-4 years longer than he should have. It's a mess and the BOD on down deserves blame for not being able to see the current trainwreck coming. I don't see how Murphy can work himself out of this.

GB right now is Sears. Kept it's head in the sand for too long while the industry changed around them, and when it finally had to face the problems head on it was too late.

So serious question, how does GB right the ship with the least amount of damage to the team/org? I'm talking from an organizational standpoint and team philosophy. Cause right now there is none. Murphy is trying to plug the dike with his fingers. Doesn't seem there is a long range plan... Well, other than Titletown District but that isn't gonna win you games.

I say have a viking funeral and burn it to the ground.

Too many variables to get a total feel of how they go. Rodgers gets hot and they run the table then they bring everyone back and we go through this again next season. I think GB would have to lose 3 games out of 6 for any major changes to take place though.

Again really hard to ever truly gauge how this team will do.

Right now 4-2 is very realistic and if that happens I think McCarthy is back. I am in the minority in that there is rift but not to the extent that is being speculated in the media. Gute is going nowhere and neither is Murphy. Unfortunately. And with a conservative organization there are $6 million reasons McCarthy stays

Right now 4-2 is very realistic and if that happens I think McCarthy is back. I am in the minority in that there is rift but not to the extent that is being speculated in the media. Gute is going nowhere and neither is Murphy. Unfortunately. And with a conservative organization there are $6 million reasons McCarthy stays

I don't want to believe this but I think you're right. And I can almost guarantee one of the reasons Murphy imposed such a weird power structure was to protect MM...

But my point about there being no good way out of this fits that scenario as well.

I don't want to believe this but I think you're right. And I can almost guarantee one of the reasons Murphy imposed such a weird power structure was to protect MM...
I don’t know if it’s to protect McCarthy, more to protect cash flow. I can’t see paying Mac $6 million and a new guy on top of it. Then factor in staff? Russ Ball is one guy who may have more input than we think

I don’t know if it’s to protect McCarthy, more to protect cash flow. I can’t see paying Mac $6 million and a new guy on top of it. Then factor in staff? Russ Ball is one guy who may have more input than we think

Didn't they only extend him for a year? That should be up soon right?

Didn't they only extend him for a year? That should be up soon right?

He will be paid through 2019.
Firing him and having to pay only one more year is no big deal from a cash flow standpoint. It happens every year in the NFL.
Packers have the money to absorb doing this.
The one they may retain and let a (potential) new coach decide on keep/release might be Pettine.

Have done it with every other HC in past. When was last time GB let a coaches contract expire? Packers fire current HC and pay that HC while employing a new one. I bet Mike Sherman got several million to sit home in 2005.

Have done it with every other HC in past. When was last time GB let a coaches contract expire? Packers fire current HC and pay that HC while employing a new one. I bet Mike Sherman got several million to sit home in 2005.

That was then. This is the Murphy/Ball era of needing max $$$ for titletown district .. that 6 mill could pay for street lamps!

Back