Murphy's Gambit

Nerd

Reaction score
Mark Murphy deserves a ton of credit for this season, and IMO for saving this franchise.

This team was about to fall off a cliff. They could have blown it up and started all over. But they went for the short term fix. That was Murphy's call.

Gutey went out and signed a room full of free agents. Continued to do so throughout the season, with Veldheers, Tyler Ervin. They seem to have ALL worked out. Ryan Grant hasn't seen the field, but they've been winning. Apparently Geronimo has sufficed.

Murphy came out at the beginning seeming like a complete bumbler. Falling down the stairs, acting weird in press conferences. I did not have a ton of confidence. I was calling him Alfred E Neuman.

But this gambit has paid off, and could do do in grand fashion if we win today. It is already an amazing success, no matter what. This franchise has been restored off the field, thanks to Murphy's business acumen and on the field thanks to his football acumen.

We had a lot of close games but I believe we can still improve next year. Another WR, Sternberger develops into a player, Aaron will have a year of experience in the system. Matt Ryan went from 8-8 his first year with Matt to league MVP his second year. With all this success, Matt will also have a little more gravitas, a little more authority. Maybe he can get Aaron's mechanics to improve.

I like what I see, and I believe it's only gonna get better. This system is perfect for an aging QB. Could extend Aaron's career.

Whatever happens today this season has been a huge success.

Charlie made the right choice of HC but the best thing Murphy did was make the hire and, one press conference notwithstanding, get out of the way.

I don’t think Murphy is long for the job anyway. Start reading up on Ed Policy.

Charlie made the right choice of HC but the best thing Murphy did was make the hire and, one press conference notwithstanding, get out of the way.

I don’t think Murphy is long for the job anyway. Start reading up on Ed Policy.
I agree Murphy is coming up on retirement, if that's what you mean. He could stay for 5 more years, according to the bylaws. Packers forced Harlan out at 70, I think Murphy is 65 this year.

While "saving the franchise" is taking it too far, Murphy seems to have made a good GM hire, participated in a good coach hire, has not meddled on the football side since and the business is boomin'. Not too shabby.

This season has made his seat a lot less warm. What, Me Worry? :D

If you happen to live in Green Bay, how has the Titletown District thing worked? That's Murphy's pet on the business side.

While "saving the franchise" is taking it too far, Murphy seems to have made a good GM hire, participated in a good coach hire, has not meddled on the football side since and the business is boomin'. Not too shabby.

This season has made his seat a lot less warm. What, Me Worry? :D

If you happen to live in Green Bay, how has the Titletown District thing worked? That's Murphy's pet on the business side.
Gonna be awhile till anyone can tell. Hinterland is a succes and people like the skating and sledding

Murphy's job is to produce more revenue. He's doing that through the Packers outside ventures. He's building an empire that has a football team as "part of" the holdings. Where there isn't a multi-billionaire to own the team, he's creating a multi-billion dollar empire to own the team as part of their "portfolio." This is a strategic move, and without this advancement, I think the Packers would have eventually become seriously short on capital needed to continue. The "sharing" bit of the league agreements will eventually come to an end, in one way or another, and when it happens, only the strong will survive. Maybe not our lifetimes, but in the future. Don't say it "won't happen," because nobody has a crystal ball, and can see the future. This is just a possible scenario.

Yes, Murphy will be retired at 70. Who will take his place? Another guy who sees the team as a great show piece, but works outside the stadium, and hires people inside the stadium, who can make winning happen.

The hiring of Gutey in position, and the subsequent coaches, was Murphy's baby despite what anyone wants to believe, because he was trying to protect what he considered the "brand." I'm not sure I disagree with how he went about it any longer. He sure as hell got a group together who know how to win ball games. In fact, they had a first year head coach who won more games than any other NFL first year head coach in history. That's not a bad resume to start.

Back