NIL is getting ugly

TW

Reaction score
This was already happening, but let's face it. Some people didn't believe it could get this bad. Players are being recruited right off of teams, to enter the portal. It's going to end up totally mercenary. I think they're going to have serious problems trying to control this.

This was already happening, but let's face it. Some people didn't believe it could get this bad. Players are being recruited right off of teams, to enter the portal. It's going to end up totally mercenary. I think they're going to have serious problems trying to control this.

And until some mid level conference teams (P5) challenges the elite P5 programs basically it’s business as usual. Now it’s above board

Reactions: TW
And until some mid level conference teams (P5) challenges the elite P5 programs basically it’s business as usual. Now it’s above board
If you recall correctly, I mentioned a situation like that which I knew full well was happening, and it was in that price range. This whole thing has turned into a nightmare. There's only a few schools who would even have backers who can swing these sweet deals for athletes. What's even sadder is the fact that the schools are now telling the kids how much money they're going to get with NIL out front, when they recruit them. It's like salary negotiations.

Can bet that many of these kids if they do get a tax bill from NIL deals are still getting the old way of money under the table to help pay the tax bill.

Being "above the board" doesn't make it right. I know many here wanted change at the NCAA level, but this is a step backwards in my opinion. And where are all the people clamoring for equality and equity?

NIL are just legal bribes. Money has got worse because now you don't have to try to hide it under the table. So now anyone can just give money to a kid to convince them to come to a school under the name it's a NIL deal.

NIL are just legal bribes. Money has got worse because now you don't have to try to hide it under the table. So now anyone can just give money to a kid to convince them to come to a school under the name it's a NIL deal.
There is no evidence it’s gotten worse.

If you recall correctly, I mentioned a situation like that which I knew full well was happening, and it was in that price range. This whole thing has turned into a nightmare. There's only a few schools who would even have backers who can swing these sweet deals for athletes. What's even sadder is the fact that the schools are now telling the kids how much money they're going to get with NIL out front, when they recruit them. It's like salary negotiations.
That’s if you believe deals like this are legit. And in this case I’m very skeptical that it is.

To begin with, no player on that Utah roster is going to turn a program around and if I’m paying $1m that’s my expectation. #2 “agents” and I’m being kind even calling them that’s are making promises to kids that just don’t exist. For every legit deal that’s out there 10 are pure BS to get a kid to sign with so called agent. Best way to describe these “agents” are that act as “runners” prior to NIL

If you believe NIL has issues and yes it does it’s not a perfect system the larger problem is promises made to kids that just are not going to be fulfilled. Some kid and his parents are going to sue for breach or contractual obligations at some point soon.

Being "above the board" doesn't make it right. I know many here wanted change at the NCAA level, but this is a step backwards in my opinion. And where are all the people clamoring for equality and equity?
I am 100% In support of NIL. And to your question of equality and equity there are many female athletes cashing in on lucrative NIL deals.

For every 6 figure deal for a QB there are 100 kids seeing deals in the $10k range. The media likes to highlight the larger deals because it’s about clicks.

Back