Odds on who joins the Big 10 and SEC

TW

Reaction score
It's Las Vegas. They'll put odds out on almost anything. I'm not a bit surprised that they're getting play on the question as to who is next in line to get a call from the Big 10, and SEC. These figures are interesting.

Odds for the next school to join the Big Ten

Notre Dame
— +150
Oregon — +150
Washington — +600
Kansas — +1400
Cincinnati — +1500
Arizona — +1800
North Carolina — +2000
Duke — +2000
Oklahoma State — +2000
Stanford — +2000
Cal — +2000
Syracuse — +2500

Odds for the next school to join the SEC

Clemson
— +250
Florida State — +250
Miami — +325
Louisville — +500
Baylor — +500
Oklahoma State — +600
Cincinnati — +750

ND yeah but Big Ten has already turned down Washington and Oregon when they asked to join. I think if ND joins they then look to go down south or out east to add a team

ND yeah but Big Ten has already turned down Washington and Oregon when they asked to join. I think if ND joins they then look to go down south or out east to add a team
They did not turn them down. They never applied. B1G said wait until ND decides what to do. Big difference

Noting out east makes sense, south possibly with UNC and Ga Tech but that’s it. Maybe NC State.

This will for the most part be driven by Fox and ESPN for both the SEC & B1G. Until Swarbrick decides what to do it’s a waiting game. Washington / Oregon/ Stanford make the most sense for the B1G….SEC? Not sure. Miami really won’t bring much neither will FSU unless it’s a pure geographical play.

Last edited:
2 challenges lie with getting ND to join the B1G.

• One clearly is TV rights. The more you look at it $100m is attainable with a NBC deal and maybe a streaming deal (Apple , Amazon) so do they need the B1G payday? $100m is a high bar to hit and the numbers for the Peacock only game were ok and that’s being kind. Does someone overpay? Maybe but right now streaming is not a profitable business
  • ND loves their rivalry games. Joining the B1G protects Michigan, MSU, Purdue, USC The question is how much do they value Navy as a non conference game. Does not leave them much if any schedule flexibility. They lose Miami which has history.

They did not turn them down. They never applied. B1G said wait until ND decides what to do. Big difference

Noting out east makes sense, south possibly with UNC and Ga Tech but that’s it. Maybe NC State.

This will for the most part be driven by Fox and ESPN for both the SEC & B1G. Until Swarbrick decides what to do it’s a waiting game. Washington / Oregon/ Stanford make the most sense for the B1G….SEC? Not sure. Miami really won’t bring much neither will FSU unless it’s a pure geographical play.
Oregon and Washington were said to have both reached out about joining Big Ten told them they have no interest in adding more teams at this time

As much as I agree with the money philosophy on these issues, I do believe that some geographical issues, as well as rivalries, will enter the picture in the future for both the SEC and Big 10. I also believe someone is going to start organizing a coast to coast conference that's intent on covering as many markets as possible, where potential growth is more at stake than what exists today. It may not be economically sound today, but it's like building a gas station/restaurant out in an area before they put the super highway through, knowing you're going to be the only kid on the block offering services, beside it, when it's built.

2 challenges lie with getting ND to join the B1G.

• One clearly is TV rights. The more you look at it $100m is attainable with a NBC deal and maybe a streaming deal (Apple , Amazon) so do they need the B1G payday? $100m is a high bar to hit and the numbers for the Peacock only game were ok and that’s being kind. Does someone overpay? Maybe but right now streaming is not a profitable business
  • ND loves their rivalry games. Joining the B1G protects Michigan, MSU, Purdue, USC The question is how much do they value Navy as a non conference game. Does not leave them much if any schedule flexibility. They lose Miami which has history.
IMO NBC has always been crazy just to pay for ND they have always been overrated with most years good records there schedule has been soft.

If ND joins I would try to look towards TCU or Houston if I were the Big Ten try to get a Texas team in

Oregon and Washington were said to have both reached out about joining Big Ten told them they have no interest in adding more teams at this time
“at this time” is the key phrase. Until ND decides nobody is getting added.

IMO NBC has always been crazy just to pay for ND they have always been overrated with most years good records there schedule has been soft.
Ratings would tell you a different story

Back