Official 2019 Roster Cuts Thread

The only spot I don’t quite get or feel great about is Madison. Feels a little unearned, I don’t know that he was better than Patrick or Pankey. Maybe they were all kinda crappy so you stick with your draft pick.

That's the operative part of the post. If one has three equally blah choices, nothing wrong with going for the draft choice. Heck, if he's no worse than the others, nothing wrong with the sentimental choice.

Well, they kept Patrick, along with Madison. Pankey was the odd man out, and...……..all things considered...……..if it was close between Pankey and Madison, they may have seen a higher ceiling in Madison than they did in Pankey.
Have to remember that Madison was completely out of football for, basically, a year and had considerable rust to knock off as well as being a redshirt rookie. Factor in that they threw Guard and Center duties at Madison (a former OT) and you get the feeling he showed them more than enough, with such a full plate, for them to believe his long term potential exceeded Pankey's. JMHO

The first part maybe. But Gute traded a former first round pick for Kizer and cut him after a year. He cut Jason Spriggs, a 2nd rounder and Josh Jones, a 2nd rounder. He cut J'Mon Moore, a 4th rounder from just last year. He let go of long term mainstays on defense Clay Matthews and Mike Daniels. I see no evidence whatsoever that he keeps players around for sentimental reasons, so I'd say there's no shot he kept Madison for a feel good story.
Agreed on this. Gutey has surprised me a little with how willing he is to cut players he doesn't think will help regardless of name, draft pick, etc...

Agreed on this. Gutey has surprised me a little with how willing he is to cut players he doesn't think will help regardless of name, draft pick, etc...

It's back to what Ron Wolf used to do, don't throw good money after bad. But the next step of course is to actually hit on those important high round picks. It's great he's willing to cut dead weight no matter what, but if he doesn't hit on high picks over time he's going to get canned. That's a way off of course, just saying going forward.

Agreed.

Gary and Savage will have to work out because if they don't that will set this D back another 2-3 years. Two first round draft picks were huge this year. We will see how things pan out.

Have no problem with any of the guys cut or traded. And some of these players were TT picks and not Gute's. Which says more about TT's late drafting yrs.

Also think these cuts on some were more about the fit. We have yet to see our starting Offense and true scheme. Am concerned a bit about performance against the Bears of how well they will perform first time out w/o any preseason live game action.

Back