Official Packers Off Season Pre-Draft Thread

An ILB not named Martinez from somewhere, draft or free agency or trade. We won't beat the 49ers next season or the following season unless our LB corps vastly improves.

Still need a stud TE, another breakout WR, more speed everywhere and better depth at OL and corner.

The mind set of thinking we were just 1 win away from the big game is insane. This team had everything working for it BUT overall talent. Health and luck were are 2 biggest keys to success. We caught quite a few teams missing key pieces to their teams when we played them. Mahomes and Cook most notably.

You don't catch those breaks every year. We must continue to add talent and let ML build his way.

An ILB not named Martinez from somewhere, draft or free agency or trade. We won't beat the 49ers next season or the following season unless our LB corps vastly improves.

Still need a stud TE, another breakout WR, more speed everywhere and better depth at OL and corner.

The mind set of thinking we were just 1 win away from the big game is insane. This team had everything working for it BUT overall talent. Health and luck were are 2 biggest keys to success. We caught quite a few teams missing key pieces to their teams when we played them. Mahomes and Cook most notably.

You don't catch those breaks every year. We must continue to add talent and let ML build his way.
CLP)CLP)CLP)

I would have fired Pettine. He made virtually no adjustments against the 49ers until the game was totally out of hand. Some of it invoked his lack of credible ILBs, some of it was on the players themselves. But dude was basically running out 1 DL looks against an offense that just ran down his throat in unprecedented fashion. Something like 150 yards were gained before contact. That's absurd. And that isn't something entirely new and unexpected, like when Kaep destroyed us on the read-option. It was just run the **** over - a flashback to the same issue that plagued our defense earlier in the year.

Coupled with the fact that MLF wasn't able to choose his own guy when he started here - something generally afforded to new head coaches - would have tipped me towards showing him the door.

I would have fired Pettine. He made virtually no adjustments against the 49ers until the game was totally out of hand. Some of it invoked his lack of credible ILBs, some of it was on the players themselves. But dude was basically running out 1 DL looks against an offense that just ran down his throat in unprecedented fashion. Something like 150 yards were gained before contact. That's absurd. And that isn't something entirely new and unexpected, like when Kaep destroyed us on the read-option. It was just run the **** over - a flashback to the same issue that plagued our defense earlier in the year.

Coupled with the fact that MLF wasn't able to choose his own guy when he started here - something generally afforded to new head coaches - would have tipped me towards showing him the door.

Pettine is mediocre, I think you could do worse than Pettine at D coordinator. However I think if you want to win a Super Bowl you'll have to do better than Pettine.

Pettine is mediocre, I think you could do worse than Pettine at D coordinator. However I think if you want to win a Super Bowl you'll have to do better than Pettine.
Agree 100%, Pettine didn't come without his issues and he's an improvement over Dom but the game evolves yearly and Pettine like Dom is set in his ways.

Agreed and good to see you Pkrjones! Keep posting

If you intend replacing Martinez, you'd better figure it has to be done through free agency, because I see no way you can draft a guy out of college, and have him step in, and fill that spot. Anyone on the roster who can do it? Nope! So, to find that guy, through FA, what do you think it will cost? Put a figure on it, and realize that when you pay that money, he might not be as good as Martinez, so you could take a step back, with a higher salary. Don't sit out on the end of that tree branch while sawing it off, at the trunk of the tree. It's a long fall.

I doubt very much if Pettine will be gone. He's going to get another year to make things work better. If you look at where our defense ranked, it was right in the mix with both San Franciso and KC, in the rankings.

The league is funny as to how it works. For a year or two, the defenses will decide winners and losers. Offenses adjust, and they take control for about the same amount of time. It goes back and forth as teams adjust, modify, and use speed and deception to further their brand. But, in the end, it all comes back around, full cycle.

I think the problem we need to consider is that we just plain did not have offense to win. In 2018, our defense gave up 25 points per game on average, and in 2019, it was down to 19.6, which placed us in the top 10.

The answer is, get the ball in the end zone, and keep the defense on a central theme of improvement. Small improvements on D are fine, while you do all you can to reload what's become a fairly vanilla offense, that lacks field stretching capability.

If Murray is there that’s an immediate upgrade from Martinez. The bigger question is do you move to a 4-3, I get we don’t play much base but Gary and Clark inside would be fun to watch

If Murray is there that’s an immediate upgrade from Martinez. The bigger question is do you move to a 4-3, I get we don’t play much base but Gary and Clark inside would be fun to watch
That will be interesting was any switches in scheme discussed with Pettine in part to him keeping his job. Guess we will not know until TC happens.

Back