Official : Packers retain Pettine as defensive coordinator

I think they asked if he'd keep Pettine. I've seen scenarios like this play out before. They may have seen something in what he did this past year that gave them hope.

That said, they can clean out the rat's nest of assistants under him because they aren't Pettine's guys anyway.

I like what he is doing so far. ML is being very methodical. He isn't rushing into anything. Pettine is probably a good keep for this year.

At this point they have everyone in place they need to adjust the draft board to ML system and look at FA.. all the assistants can wait a bit.

Now I'm keeping my fingers crossed he cuts out some of the veteran Deadwood. Or at the very least tells them point blank your days off dogging it are over. Give 100 percent or get out. And no giving vets time off during camp.

That said, they can clean out the rat's nest of assistants under him because they aren't Pettine's guys anyway.

This is the part that is interesting to me. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like Pettine was hired and then MM seems to have pushed him to keep a number of the former assistant coaches rather than bring in a whole new defensive group that he might have been more comfortable with. Hopefully Pettine gets to have some input on the assistants. I'm sure ML has got plenty to deal with and probably is not as familiar with guys on the defensive side of the ball. Hopefully it's pretty much a total housecleaning on defense other than Pettine.

This is the part that is interesting to me. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like Pettine was hired and then MM seems to have pushed him to keep a number of the former assistant coaches rather than bring in a whole new defensive group that he might have been more comfortable with. Hopefully Pettine gets to have some input on the assistants. I'm sure ML has got plenty to deal with and probably is not as familiar with guys on the defensive side of the ball. Hopefully it's pretty much a total housecleaning on defense other than Pettine.

It's difficult figuring out who made the decision to hire Pettine, then kept the defensive staff under Capers. It sounds like appeasement to McCarthy, whereas the Pettine hire came from a source other than the coach himself. I'm not a bit sold on the ability of any of them.

Seeing that Whitt was fired made me happy. He was the defensive pass game coordinator and cornerbacks coach. He obviously wasn't too good at his job. Guys who "failed" in Green Bay, as CBs, under his tutelege did quite well with other teams. His firing should have happened years ago.

Back