Ogunbowale earns job as No. 2 UW running back

Crossbuck

Reaction score
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/badg...-no-2-running-back-b99557015z1-321930791.html

When he returned to Wisconsin for his second stint as running backs coach,JohnSettlewasn't sure what he had inDareOgunbowale.

Ogunbowale, a walk-on from Milwaukee Marquette High School, was quick and explosive. But he had been a reserve cornerback for his first two seasons before shifting to tailback in 2014.

Now after 15 spring practices and five days of preseason camp, Ogunbowale appears entrenched as UW's No. 2 tailback behindCoreyClement.

"He has grown a great deal from our first practice of the spring until today," Settle said Friday after UW practiced on the grass field north of Camp Randall Stadium for the second consecutive day. "The thing I like about him...I always put guys in two categories, learning the system and mastering the system.

"He is a guy who masters the system. He is smart. He knows it all. He knows the protections. He knows the run game. He knows all the adjustments.

"Surprisingly he is a better runner than when I first saw him. He has a good feel for the game. He is able to pick up things quickly. Smarter players are in some cases better players because they give you the opportunity to make adjustments."

Ogunbowale added 14 pounds after last season and now carries 200 pounds on his 5-foot-11 frame.

"He has gotten stronger," Settle said. "That is going to help him in blitz pick-up. Because it isn't enough to know who you have. You have to be able to step up and block him. He is a willing soldier."

Settle confirmed that the top three tailbacks are Clement, Ogunbowale and redshirt freshmanTaiwanDeal. The gap between that trio and the other backs is considerable.

That includes touted freshmanBradrickShaw, from Birmingham, Ala.

"There is a lot on his plate and he hasn't learned it all yet," Settle said. "I don't know how many plays he had in his playbook in Alabama but ours is pretty sophisticated. I think he is a little overwhelmed right now.

"He is a freshman. He's got time."

Settle acknowledged he would like to identify a fourth tailback if needed.

NeitherCalebKinlawnorSergeTrezyappears ready for such a role. Settle noted he has started working with reserve fullbackDerekStraus, a 6-1, 227-pounder from Waunakee.

"He is a bigger body," Settle said. "So I'm preparing him for that role just in case."

Ease up:Senior linebackerKellenJones, a graduate transfer from Clemson, sent Ogunbowale to the sideline for a few plays with a crushing hit in pass coverage. The players were in full pads for the first time in camp but weren't supposed to go full-throttle.

"He was not supposed to do that," Settle said. "He is a new guy. It will be handled in the meetings."

Quote to note:Settle was asked whether Ogunbowale's experience as a defensive back has helped him at tailback.

"I don't think it helps at all," Settle said. "DBs spend more time going backward. We want him going forward."

Extra points:Right tackleHayden Biegelleft the field one hour into practice with a head injury. Redshirt freshmanBeau Benzschaweltook his place with the No. 1 offense. That meant UW's No. 1 line had two redshirt freshmen on the right side, Benzschawel and guardMichael Deiter. It is unclear whether Biegel will return to practice Saturday....

LinebackersLeon Jacobs(toe) andT.J. Edwards(shoulder) did not practice. However, Edwards' left arm no longer is in a sling. Defensive coordinatorDave Arandaexpects Edwards to return sooner than Jacobs. Reserve safetyArrington Farrar(left leg) and reserve nose tackleJeremy Patterson(knee) were held out. Reserve linebackerTy DeForestleft practice early with abdominal pain.

Surprised Kinlaw isn't in the mix, he was a stud in HS. Not a Settle fan and hope it doesn't bite Bucky in the backside.

Surprised Kinlaw isn't in the mix, he was a stud in HS. Not a Settle fan and hope it doesn't bite Bucky in the backside.

You and I both, that was a quick compromise hire and one of the few I didn't care for. Settle is adequate but I think PC could have done better.

Badgers getting dinged up early in fall camp, PC needs to be careful as depth is the one issue at UW I don't like. Thank you GA you overbearing prick for recruiting kids that never ever had a shot of playing here. csr(bh(

It's the nature of recruiting. You hit and miss. Bart Houston was a 4 star kid who can't see the field and Owen Daniels was a 4 star QB who got moved. Then you have walk on RB who U.S. Now #2. Go figure.

Kinlaw had questions coming in. Some recruitniks were not sure he was such a good choice. I suspect Shaw will eventually surpass him and Kinlaw's role will be as a #2/3 guy and special teamer. Valuable, but likely not another "stud" RB for UW.

Back