Packer Draft Grades

Saw that last night I was thinking ok the Packers draft was solid but not sure I call it the best. Pitt and Philly both had very good drafts.

I think the LVN pick makes more sense with what they did the rest of the way. Love adding two TEs, and more WR. Some head scratchers and reaches but i think every team has those. Solid draft IMO, accomplished what they needed to i think on paper for the most part. We’ll see when they show up in person.

Those first 3 rounds were solid, I agree with others GB sat on their hands and it caught up to them Day 3. Gute wasn't very aggressive this year. You can't really grade a draft until 4 years later but at first glance it's a solid B for me.

We do need a vet arm for the year though.

Was this the first year Gute did not trade up during the draft? Besides his two minor trade down to move down a total of 5 spots he seemed to be happy and sit on his picks.

When viewed through the lens of this being step one in a multi year rebuild, sorry ‘retooling’, it was a good first step. This draft I think will have to combined with next years draft to really grade it properly in three years or so.

To be fair though this was not an overly talented draft outside of maybe TE. These are not guys who will contribute day 1.. though I think Kraft will be the one that contributes this year. I still don’t like LVN.

GB got caught flat footed with the QB run.. but it is what it is. Gutey got people to plug holes on offense which is important for Love. Gutey was never going to be able to plug all the holes this year.

Last edited:
I think the reason for being ranked that high is the number of players that the Packers got early, and total, for the draft. Kind of overwhelmed the opposition through numbers.

There are some question marks in the selections as there always will be. We're just going to see how it works out when they hit camp.

The weirdest thing to me overall is that they did nothing to add OL depth. Gute apparently says he feels good about their depth there. Still, one of their talent acquisition strengths has been finding quality OL in the later rounds so it seems like you'd want to play to your strengths. If you end up with too many, trade one or two for later round picks, like Cole Van Lanen.

The weirdest thing to me overall is that they did nothing to add OL depth. Gute apparently says he feels good about their depth there. Still, one of their talent acquisition strengths has been finding quality OL in the later rounds so it seems like you'd want to play to your strengths. If you end up with too many, trade one or two for later round picks, like Cole Van Lanen.
Packers see set at OG right now. OT is were they could use depth but it seemed the OT depth was not really great this draft. Does GB really need to add more project OTs?

Let's not play games here ladies and gents, They have put all their eggs in the Love basket and it's very possible he works out perfectly but if not they have virtually nothing in reserve. I see a ton of folks saying that's okay you just draft one next year. The number of available starting caliber QB isn't great, so that's not as easy as it sounds.

Now, the other side of this is to build a great defense and run the ball which I actually like except I have low faith in our current DC in accomplishing that task. I don't know I know I repeat myself annually but this front office's approach is scatterbrained and haphazard.

First time in a longtime that OTA and camp are a big big deal.

Back