Packers 7th-Round Picks

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
Going to put them all in one thread here, otherwise too hard to chase all of them:

7A ~ Carrington Valentine CB Kentucky
7B ~ Lew Nichols III RB Central Michigan
7C ~ Anthony Johnson Jr., S, Iowa State
7D~ Grant Dubose WR NC Charlotte

Last edited:
I had read up a bit on three of our 7th rounders, Valentine, Nichols, and Johnson in the months leading up to the draft but, for whatever reason, hadn't really seen anything about Grant Dubose. In terms of measurables, he compares favorably to Quentin Johnston with similar size and speed. Johnston has better explosion numbers, Dubose, better agility numbers.

CBS Sports website said this after he was picked: Big-time sleeper at WR. Tall, well-built frame. Flexible and sudden. Ball-skills master. Above-average run-after-the-catch talent. Plays with nasty demeanor. Loaded young WR group in Green Bay. (Chris Trapasso)

The guys at "The Draft Network" did a write-up on him and gave him a 2nd Rd grade. Here's the link:

Grant Dubose Profile

A couple of short excerpts:

DuBose brings that unique skill set that can transform a receiving corps. Long and lengthy but still brute in frame, DuBose primarily played as an outside receiver but also has experience playing within the slot. From top to bottom, DuBose looks the part. His releases are abundant and creative. When needed, he is intentional with his hand fighting, only needing one move to escape pressed defenders. With his quality foot speed and fluid hips, he becomes a threat at all three levels.
Lastly, I couldn’t talk about DuBose without shouting out his ability and competitive toughness as a blocker. When he is tasked with blocking for a teammate, whether it an outside run where the success is dictated by him winning his block or he’s just simply blocking downfield to open up space for a fellow receiver with the ball, DuBose not only displays fantastic effort but also becomes responsible for several extra-yardage plays that without him wouldn’t have been possible. He takes pride in his ability to make winning plays that won’t show up on the stat sheet. He plays with a chip on his shoulder every down.

The Draft Network stuff seems a little over-the-top, but if even half of it is true he could be a nice find in this draft. A Lazard clone?

I had read up a bit on three of our 7th rounders, Valentine, Nichols, and Johnson in the months leading up to the draft but, for whatever reason, hadn't really seen anything about Grant Dubose. In terms of measurables, he compares favorably to Quentin Johnston with similar size and speed. Johnston has better explosion numbers, Dubose, better agility numbers.

CBS Sports website said this after he was picked: Big-time sleeper at WR. Tall, well-built frame. Flexible and sudden. Ball-skills master. Above-average run-after-the-catch talent. Plays with nasty demeanor. Loaded young WR group in Green Bay. (Chris Trapasso)

The guys at "The Draft Network" did a write-up on him and gave him a 2nd Rd grade. Here's the link:

Grant Dubose Profile

A couple of short excerpts:

DuBose brings that unique skill set that can transform a receiving corps. Long and lengthy but still brute in frame, DuBose primarily played as an outside receiver but also has experience playing within the slot. From top to bottom, DuBose looks the part. His releases are abundant and creative. When needed, he is intentional with his hand fighting, only needing one move to escape pressed defenders. With his quality foot speed and fluid hips, he becomes a threat at all three levels.
Lastly, I couldn’t talk about DuBose without shouting out his ability and competitive toughness as a blocker. When he is tasked with blocking for a teammate, whether it an outside run where the success is dictated by him winning his block or he’s just simply blocking downfield to open up space for a fellow receiver with the ball, DuBose not only displays fantastic effort but also becomes responsible for several extra-yardage plays that without him wouldn’t have been possible. He takes pride in his ability to make winning plays that won’t show up on the stat sheet. He plays with a chip on his shoulder every down.

The Draft Network stuff seems a little over-the-top, but if even half of it is true he could be a nice find in this draft. A Lazard clone?
This is what I thought when I rad about him that he's a good possesion WR but has no break away speed.

I like the idea that they are looking at some receivers that are long enough, heavy enough, and strong enough, to muscle their way into receptions. It's a good mix to add to the roster. You always need those possession guys that you can count on to come away with that contested pass.

Hopefully, at least one of those taken for that purpose, pans out. We need at least two solid receivers coming in this year to replace outgoing vets who have never lived up to the needs of the team.

So is Valentine going to be a steal? See that some thought he could have been high as a 3rd round pick or at least a 4th/5th at worst and GB got him in the 7th? Wonder why he fell so far. Hopefully he is a guy that turns out one of those guys that is a late round gem and in couple years can be a starting quality player esp if Stokes might never be the guy he was drafted to be.

So is Valentine going to be a steal? See that some thought he could have been high as a 3rd round pick or at least a 4th/5th at worst and GB got him in the 7th? Wonder why he fell so far. Hopefully he is a guy that turns out one of those guys that is a late round gem and in couple years can be a starting quality player esp if Stokes might never be the guy he was drafted to be.
You’ll go broke trying to bet on the careers of corners, i think teams just need to hammer away at the spot and hope some guys turn out. I remember thinking Shemar Jean-Charles was a good pick in the 6th round but he probably won’t last through camp on this roster.

because he's sloppy at times ad he tends to get too physical. He'll get a ton of contact calls in the NFL or the better WR will smoke him.

Lots of hype surrounding the guys they've signed. That's what we expect. The stats, and projections out of college do tell a lot, but the real test is when they take their game against others, who can match up against them talent for talent, speed for speed, strength for strength, and heart for heart. Some make the cut, others just fold their tent and end up working as associates at Walmart.

I think we "may" have the makings of a pretty darned good receiving corps with some potential depth in it. We'll know more, as the season unfolds. It's going to be fun watching them all grow. For a coach, it's like watching your own kids going from crawling, to walking, then running.

Back