Packers boost defense with edge rushers Preston Smith and Za'Darius Smith, safety Adrian Amos

realitybytes

John PluymESPN
How great of a pickup is S Adrian Amos for the Green Bay Packers? According to NFL Next Gen Stats, Amos was the nearest defender on 41 targets and didn't allow a touchdown in 2018 for the Chicago Bears. That was the most targets without allowing a TD by any safety in the NFL last season. Great job by the Packers to weaken a division rival by taking one of its best defensive players
i could be wrong but i think the packers got a steal on this guy.

57packer

Draft Guru
2018 Draft Guru
Amos is not a play-maker in the the classic sense that he generates a lot of turnover type plays. He doesn't gamble and make splash plays it seems, but he's clearly dependable and seems to be a good tackler. Kind of like Pack says, he's a complimentary piece - and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Every defense needs a couple of guys who make the right calls, prevent big plays, and are sort of the glue guys that execute the scheme correctly. I think they still need that other guy, maybe in this draft, but Amos is valuable and should be worth the money if he can stop the blown coverages we saw last year and in seasons past.

rpiotr01

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Amos is a better version of Charlie Peprah. Not a flashy guy and seems nuts to pay him that kind of money but a player that does his job, knows his assignment, is football smart and makes it easier for the young guys around him to know their job and do it - there's value to that.

Overall I'm a realist about these moves. The money says the Smiths should be getting double digit sacks, but I don't expect that to happen. This is about stabilizing a roster that was quickly falling apart. We need talent to play on the field while rebuilding the roster through the draft. The downside to spending big in FA is usually opportunity cost - loss of playing time for players currently on the roster, loss of financial flexibility to retain other important players, loss of flexibility to acquire better players in FA. But due to roster decay and the state of the market, none of these things are an issue this year. There's no one better on the roster they're stealing time from; there's no one worthwhile on the roster who will be let go because of the money being given to these new players; outside spending draft capital to trade for a Dee Ford or Jadaveon Clowney, there was no one else on the market worth spending more money on; the salary cap is jumping up by leaps and bounds every year so we're not going to be pressed for space. In the short term the roster on the D side got significantly stronger from what it was and gives us a chance, along with some smart moves and some luck in the draft, to compete again this year with the other teams in the division. In the long term, if Gute does his job right, these guys will be replaced by draft picks over time, and who can say what the post-CBA will look like for contracts. It was a no brainer this year to be a little aggressive in FA.

yep. i'd rather have a guy that never gives up touchdowns than a guy that gambles and makes a few interceptions a year, but whiffs once in a while and gives up the big play.
To your point rb, the guy you're describing, HaHa Clinton-Dix, is making a paltry $3.5m on a one year deal with the Bears. That's less money than Jason Verrett is making with the 49ers on his 'prove it' deal, and Verrett has played 5 games in the past 3 years.

57packer

Draft Guru
2018 Draft Guru
Is anyone concerned about the Packers WR corp? Next to D Adams, who is a legit threat on the other side? I know we have youngsters out there, but who really can hold the D's from not double teaming Adams? ARod has a tendency for holding the ball a little too long at times, so I was hoping the Packers picked up a vet WR threat to go with Adams.
Welcome aboard and agree this is a good question. I have been advocating for a WR addition as well, though I don't see it as a dire need. Allison has some track record and was on pace for a very good season last year until he got hurt. He might be adequate as the #2 and certainly seems like he'd be dependable enough to be among your top-4.

IMO, the rest are "just guys" right now. MVS and ESB both made some plays last year, but not enough for me to say they are good enough to produce consistently as the #2 guy all season. Moore has shown nothing to date.

Kumerow has played so little in his 4 years in the league that it's hard to know what you've got. I have to keep reminding myself that Kumerow is entering his 5th year in the league, is 27 years old, and has 8 receptions for 103 yds in that time. Maybe this is the year he finally breaks out, or maybe in a new scheme he'll start from scratch again and be just a borderline roster guy, again. Trevor Davis is kinda the same guy in the sense that he's been in the league 3 years and has 8 catches for 94 yds. Donald Driver had a slow start as well, but in a deeper receiving group he had 40+ catches for 500+ yards after 3 seasons. You at least had a little more to go on than these two.

Because of the above, and the loss of Cobb, I think there is room for another guy, maybe a guy who's more of a classic slot guy but I wouldn't be opposed to a true #1/2 type either. There are a number of them available anywhere from rounds 1-7 though I think Rds 2-4 make the most sense given the other options in Rd 1.

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
Couple of things here from questions above. On WR corp, this is not the same offense you saw under the last couple of HC in GB. ML has some unique things he wants to do with the football. In a perfect word he needs 1 super WR to take the top off and the #2 as a possession WR to catch slants and bubble screens etc. The need for 2 super studs at WR isn't that great. He wants to run the ball to set up the pass. He will take shots here and there but again in a perfect world he wants a 11 or 12 play drive each time.

On Amos, he's a solid in the box SS. He tackles well. GB will need to complement him with a cover FS.

rpiotr01

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Yeah if you look at the offenses ML was involved in, the days of 5 wide and passing to set up the run are over. We have Adams, I think you want to see if 2 of this glut of bottom roster WRs can take a step and roll with them, and then really I think we stock up on some RBs and TEs. That Shanahan system doesn't even use a lot of 11 personnel, so if things go the way he wants, there are going to be limited reps for all these WR.

dannobanano

i like our young receivers. well, not so much love for moore, but mvs, eq, and kumerow i like . i definitely like their size and speed. i'm pretty sure that at least one of them will have a breakout season and emerge as the #2 receiver. i don't think "having tape" on mvs is going to change his speed or his ability to run routes and catch the ball. eq was starting to show signs near the end of the season.
Moore put himself in a bad spot last year with his unprofessional approach to being physically and mentally ready for training camp and his first NFL season.

Maybe he got humbled a little and learned a lesson. Maybe it's too little too late for him sh)), but I think he's taking a much better approach this off season.

Moore's off season

the second-year receiver is working out with the well-respected Rischad Whitfield, a former college football player and current Houston-based trainer known for specializing in footwork and agility training.
The one thing I noticed about Moore, while watching college tape on him, was how much his body movement reminded me of Tae Adams.

The ball is in Moore's court to make a move. This year's WR competition should be interesting to follow since I have my doubts they will keep 7-8 WR's as they have in the past.

Attachments