Packers convert Rodgers 2020 roster bonus

dannobanano

Reaction score
So the Packers converted $14.26M of Rodgers 2020 $19.5M roster bonus into a signing bonus and have created an additional $11.4M in cap space for 2020.

It begs the question as to whether they are extending an existing player(s) before season end, or are they going to be shopping in the up coming free agency market again like the did last year.

Using rough numbers, it seems to me that they Packers will now have (with carryover from 2019) ~ $44.5M in cap space for 2020. And if they bounce Jimmy Graham and Lane Taylor, they will add an additional $12.5M to that total.

Could this be a signal they are planning to extend both Kenny Clark and Bryan Bulaga, NOW, rather than later?

Or is something else in the wind here?

almost half of the current starters are free agents in either 2020 or 2021. they are going to need to make some difficult decisions. but the 11.4 million will help.

So the Packers converted $14.26M of Rodgers 2020 $19.5M roster bonus into a signing bonus and have created an additional $11.4M in cap space for 2020.

It begs the question as to whether they are extending an existing player(s) before season end, or are they going to be shopping in the up coming free agency market again like the did last year.

Using rough numbers, it seems to me that they Packers will now have (with carryover from 2019) ~ $44.5M in cap space for 2020. And if they bounce Jimmy Graham and Lane Taylor, they will add an additional $12.5M to that total.

Could this be a signal they are planning to extend both Kenny Clark and Bryan Bulaga, NOW, rather than later?

Or is something else in the wind here?

Danno, I calculated 37M after Graham and Taylor released. That is from SPOTRAC. Then you add the cap going up and it will be more like 44M to 50M. Money to sign Clark, Crosby, and Bulaga. Hopefully maybe a free agent as well.

Let Martinez go, IMO.

honestly, i think that would be a mistake. that means you have to find two starting inside linebackers. and it hasn't been easy to find one that's good enough to play next to martinez.

What if he wants 12-15M? Are you willing to pay an average to below average ILB that amount of money?

Danno, I calculated 37M after Graham and Taylor released. That is from SPOTRAC. Then you add the cap going up and it will be more like 44M to 50M. Money to sign Clark, Crosby, and Bulaga. Hopefully maybe a free agent as well.

Let Martinez go, IMO.

CB, I used OverTheCap.
Here's my numbers.
2019 - Still have $8.6M, but will lose $2.8M with the Rodgers conversion.
2020 - Shows they have $27.6M before they will add the $11.4M from the Rodgers conversion
Releasing Graham and Taylor adds $12.5M more to 2020 cap space.

8.6-2.8+27.6+11.4=44.8
44.8+12.5=57.3

OTC - Packers

i think you are underestimating his value to the team. i doubt that the coaches believe he is average to below average.
At some point value has a tipping point. If I’m going to pay $12m I want a game changer. Can you replace him in the draft? Is he more valued than Crosby or Bulaga? Do you extend Clark who’s value is only going to increase?

I think you can find LB's who can get you 100+ tackles a year. Martienz runs like he is dragging a washing machine behind him. He is very limited athetlically and team can and should improve.

Back