Packers Mid-Season Report Card

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
I haven't done this in a couple of years but most everything else is paywalled. Feel free to jump in on your own.

Offense:

QB: Let's start at the top, Rodgers QB play isn't what it's been. Granted he's got virtually nothing at WR and issues at OL and we will get to that. However, as posted elsewhere he's missing easy throws and swing passes and it appears to me father time caught up a little early. He still protects the FB better than most and given time he still can sling it. Grade: C

OL: Me oh my what a mess this group has been, GB gambled that the two injured studs would bounce back 100%. To date, that hasn't happened and it requires them to use people in spots they don't belong at all. The other problem appears to be in the OL coaching change but we will score that later. Grade: D

RB: I can't fully grade them because they don't get the ball enough or get the blocking they deserve, when they do though it's been a solid plus.
Grade: A -

WR: Young and inexperienced sans Cobb who should be coaching not playing. Lazard is an okay #3 but that's about it. Some of the QB issues and blocking affect this unit as well. Still, they are underachieving and are slow to catch on. Grade: D +

TE: Just meh, some games I can't even tell they are playing. Grade: D

Defense:

DL: They have had a few moments but this group just can't consistently control the line of scrimmage, up and down like a yoyo. I think they need to move Clark back to DE and go get a wide-body attacking NT. 29th vs the run-through this week....yikes! Grade: C

LB: Disappointing because it appeared to be the best group in while, they get pressure here and there but never for 4 whole qtrs. The MLB vs the run has really been a bummer. I'll give them some slack only because the DL isn't doing their job well enough to keep blockers off these guys. Grade C plus to B-

DB: Sigh... what can I say here. Jaire is still a stud, talks too much but is a stud. The rest, have mercy they are playing in the wrong scheme or in a bad way 8 times out of 10. Our safeties have both lost a step and tend to check out of games mentally a lot. Just not getting it done.
Grade: D

Special Teams:

Mark, we got this great new guy from the Raiders...he'll fix it. bh)BS)csr( Still too many mistakes, still putting a guy back to get punts that shouldn't be wasting space. Grade: D

Coaching:
The big pink elephant in the room. There is so much trash to go around from our lackluster OL coach to our very uncreative OC all the way over to Joe Barry ( AKA as Joe Barely) to Jerry Grey who I think should be fired along with Barry after the season barring a miraculous turnaround. Still, at the end of the day, it all falls on ML. None of it from the HC down is good enough, period. Grade: D elephant)

OVERALL TEAM GRADE: C - Final grade is really based on the parity within the league for me. If they don't wake up this could easily finish as a D or F.

Last edited:
I give this team a Z- as they deserve the lowest letter possible LOL.

Good summation Mark. I will say this, I am a ML supporter for sure and this is definitely some adversity that he is facing since his hot start to his HC career. It's all a learning endeavor and we will get to see how he handles this going forward. He hasn't won a bunch of games for nothing. This little adversity is a time for reflection and tightening the focus on how he wants to run his program. Lots of improvement to be had this year and I have faith that ML can't get this going in the right direction again. I know it's a homer post but ML has won a lot of games so far and I think, or at least hope, that he can learn and grow from this.

Good summation Mark. I will say this, I am a ML supporter for sure and this is definitely some adversity that he is facing since his hot start to his HC career. It's all a learning endeavor and we will get to see how he handles this going forward. He hasn't won a bunch of games for nothing. This little adversity is a time for reflection and tightening the focus on how he wants to run his program. Lots of improvement to be had this year and I have faith that ML can't get this going in the right direction again. I know it's a homer post but ML has won a lot of games so far and I think, or at least hope, that he can learn and grow from this.
Talent covers a lot of warts, and that includes on the staff. As Rodgers ages, everyone and I mean everyone in the org needs to step up their game, big time.

If this team was not going to buy at the deadline they should have sold off. Standing pat says yeah we know adding anyone wont help but we don't want to look like we gave up so we won't sell off assets we will just stay crap without trying to get better or at least trying to add draft picks buy selling off who we could.

If this team was not going to buy at the deadline they should have sold off. Standing pat says yeah we know adding anyone wont help but we don't want to look like we gave up so we won't sell off assets we will just stay crap without trying to get better or at least trying to add draft picks buy selling off who we could.
Who do they have that anyone would want (that they also wouldn’t want)? We either have rookies or guys on huge deals that are untradeable. The notable exceptions (Gary, Jenkins) are in the teams future plans.

Solid post Mark.

Sometimes your players just don’t play well. They don’t block. They don’t tackle. They drop the ball. They make mistakes. Sometimes they get hurt.

In 2019, everything fell just right and we won 13 games with a 9 or 10 win team. We got all the calls by the refs. This year, maybe we’re a 9 or 10 win that doesn’t get any of the calls so we win 6 or 7. It happens. You don’t fire everyone until it becomes a losing culture.

We’re spoiled. 30 years of elite football. We tried to stretch it a couple more years. May work, may not. Let’s see how it plays out and how our coaches and front office act and react. That’s football. br)

Who do they have that anyone would want (that they also wouldn’t want)? We either have rookies or guys on huge deals that are untradeable. The notable exceptions (Gary, Jenkins) are in the teams future plans.
I think Dillon, Amos, Lazard, might have got you a day 3 pick

I think Dillon, Amos, Lazard, might have got you a day 3 pick
Amos will be on his void year in 2023 so nobody would touch him, Lazard is a UFA in 2023 so same in theory applies to him and Dillon on a rookie deal gives them financial flexibility.

If anyone has value now it’s Jones especially with his 2023 cap number. Would anyone bite not sure. Savage would be ideal but you would have had to eat some $$$ which honestly would have been a win.

Amos will be on his void year in 2023 so nobody would touch him, Lazard is a UFA in 2023 so same in theory applies to him and Dillon on a rookie deal gives them financial flexibility.

If anyone has value now it’s Jones especially with his 2023 cap number. Would anyone bite not sure. Savage would be ideal but you would have had to eat some $$$ which honestly would have been a win.
Jones could not be traded because he would have come with a $9 million cap hit GB could have not take that. Plus I don't think you get more then day 3 pick for Jones either. Savage how bad he's playing no one would have wanted him if you gave him away for nothing.

Back