Packers News And Notes From ESPN

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/20055/sunday-notes-packers-have-room-for-27-more

- News and notes from around the Green Bay Packers:

Andrew Quarless doesn't lack confidence. The sixth-year pro said he thinks he can join the league's elite tight ends, like New England's Rob Gronkowski. "That's really where I see myself, and that's really where I'm trying to take it," Quarless said this week. "A couple other guys like Gronk and a couple guys who are up there, I put myself in that bracket. That's definitely where I'm training to be."

Kramer makes peace: Jerry Kramer, the legendary former Packers guard, is perhaps the only other deserving member of the Lombardi-era Packers not enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. If that's his legacy, so be it. He appears to be OK with that. "The game of football has been very, very good to me, and it’s just been a wonderful ride," Kramer said this week as part of the Packers' annual tailgate tour. "I was pretty emotional about it 30 years ago when my guys went in. I got my lip out and [said], 'Boy if they call me, I'm going to tell them where to put it; I ain't going.' ... I'm very comfortable with where I am and if the Hall comes along, it'd be great. If it doesn't come along, life is great." At this point, Kramer would have to be nominated and elected by the senior committee of the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Last year, they put in former Minnesota Vikings center Mike Tingelhoff (1962-78).

Starr update: Bart Starr's recovery from multiple strokes and a heart attack last fall remains slow going. But according to Kramer, there has been some progress. Kramer said he recently spoke with Starr's wife, Cherry, and got an update. "The last time I talked to her, [Starr] was home and he had gone outside by himself, and he walked around the patio by himself, and they were getting ready to go for a ride, so that was very encouraging and very hopeful," Kramer said. "But he's having a tough time." Starr turned 81 in January.

Welcome back: Players will return to Lambeau Field on Monday and gather as a group for the first time since the day after the NFC Championship Game loss to the Seattle Seahawks. Coach Mike McCarthy's voluntary offseason program begins Monday. And thanks to the team's public relations department led by Jason Wahlers and including Sarah Quick, Tom Fanning and Nate LoCascio, you'll get to hear from a few players as they get back to work. For the first time ever, there will be media availability on the first day of the offseason program. Selected players will be available.

Thompson speaks: Thompson will hold his annual pre-draft press conference on Wednesday at 10 a.m. He might tell a funny story or two, but don't expect him to reveal a single thing about this year's draft.

Schedule coming: The NFL regular-season schedule will be released this week. It could come as early as Tuesday. The opponents were determined immediately following the season. Here's that list.

Okay Q, lets not go crazy. No you are not an elite TE, and you do not have the skillset to become one, or after 6 years you would have already. Just accept who you are and your role in the offense. Confidence is one thing, but that's a step too far IMO. Because at that level you are really holding yourself back by thinking you are better than you are.

Kramer should def be in the HOF. I just don't get why he isn't...

Good to hear Starr is making progress...

Hopefully most, if not all, players show up for the voluntary workouts.

Kramer isn't going to get in. The impression is, and maybe rightly so, that he was an excellent player on a line that featured several HOF players, HOF running backs, a HOF QB and a HOF coach. They can't put the entire team in, so Kramer is odd man out.

GB has excellent attendance at voluntary workouts but don't everybody pat themselves on the back over it: Packers structure their deals so that players have money tied up in workout bonuses related to showing up for this stuff, and the bigger the contract the more money they have tied to showing up.

Interesting that some guys will be made available to the media. First day back and already answering questions about...? What, I don't know.

I read a while back that Kramer could be near the atop if not atop the senior committee's list for the 2016 HOF class.

I like that "Q" is training to be the best. Agree with C-dog that I hope he keeps his head on straight and plays within himself. Run the routes and make the catches you can make - don't try to be Gronk and do too much. That's how balls get dropped and fumbles happen.

I think Kramer has gotten a little screwed because voters are just tired of adding more 60's era Packers to the HOF. Hopefully it happens for him one day. They finally added Dave Robinson after all these years, maybe JK is next.

I like that "Q" is training to be the best. Agree with C-dog that I hope he keeps his head on straight and plays within himself. Run the routes and make the catches you can make - don't try to be Gronk and do too much. That's how balls get dropped and fumbles happen.

I think Kramer has gotten a little screwed because voters are just tired of adding more 60's era Packers to the HOF. Hopefully it happens for him one day. They finally added Dave Robinson after all these years, maybe JK is next.

Hopefully. Because I never bought that whole "can't put the whole team in" excuse.

Back