Packers vs 49ers, 1999

TW

Reaction score
Just watched the playoff game between the Packers and 49ers out in SF, 1999. Favre threw what should have been the winning TD pass with just under 2 minutes on the clock. Put us ahead 27-23.

The 49ers marched down the field and scored with 2 seconds left, to win it 30-27.

Just one problem. Early on in that drive, Jerry Rice fumbled the ball on a reception. It was clear, obvious, and without doubt, a fumble. The officials said he was down by contact, but the fact is, he was totally upright when the fumble happened.

That play alone was as good a reason to have instant replay as far as I'm concerned. It was like watching the entire 1999 season stolen away over one play. You don't get second chances in the playoffs.

sadly, not the only time the packers were ripped off by the refs in the playoffs.

sadly, not the only time the packers were ripped off by the refs in the playoffs.
But But the Packers have the refs in their pockes that's the only reason they win games anymore! At least if that's what you hear about all the crybaby Bears and Vikings and Lions fans say

Bad calls happen to all teams. The SF one was pretty blatant.

i get that bad calls happen to all teams. but it would take at least a hundred bad calls during the regular season to equal one bad call in the closing moments of a playoff game.
And if we don’t fumble inside our own 20 in the 1st quarter, which SF scored a TD and a missed FG that play is irrelevant. I get the argument but it’s 1 play out of 65.

And if we don’t fumble inside our own 20 in the 1st quarter, which SF scored a TD and a missed FG that play is irrelevant. I get the argument but it’s 1 play out of 65.

a bad play that happens in the first quarter there is plenty of time to recover from. a bad call in the final seconds of a game, not so much. i guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

When a bad call happens in what is the last drive of the day, it can directly change the outcome. That's what happened in 1999.

When a bad call happens in what is the last drive of the day, it can directly change the outcome. That's what happened in 1999.

I still can't watch a replay of that game

Back