Possible Future DC in Green Bay

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
If GB moves on and thats never certain in the bay here our a few names to consider:

LARRY FOOTE, TAMPA BAY​

42, brilliant up-and-coming NFL position coach and former star player for Michigan. Current co-DC in Tampa Bay.

History: Foote is a Detroit/ midwest person, a Pershing graduate who named his son Trammell and whose first tattoo was a 313. Before that of course Foote was part of the legendary Michigan recruiting class of 1998 that included Drew Henson, David Terrell, Seth Fisher, Marquise Walker, and Victor Hobson, to name a few, and was the epitome of the tiny linebacker genre before Devin Bush Jr. took the mantle and Khaleke Hudson broke Foote’s single-game TFL record.

Foote finished his NFL career with the Arizona Cardinals in 2014, following former Ravens assistant Chuck Pagano with the offer of stepping into a coaching role after the season. Pagano made good on his promise; Foote was the assistant LBs coach in 2015, then was promoted to linebackers coach under James Bettcher, and stayed on through one year of Al Holcomb. He followed Pagano again to Tampa Bay in 2019, now under DC Todd Bowles (they overlapped in Zona in 2014), and there Foote won his first Super Bowl as a coach after two as a player.

HISTORICAL DEFENSIVE RANKINGS: Tampa Bay was 6th, 5th, and 9th out of 32 teams in Football Outsiders’ comprehensive fancy stat DVOA the last three years. They were 2nd, 2nd, 20th, and 12th in Foote’s four years of coaching in Arizona.

PLAYERS: Probably don’t need to throw all the names at you. Foote’s credited with turning Chandler Jones into a 1st team all-Pro in Arizona, developed Shaquil Barrett into a regular all-pro and Jason Pierre-Paul into a new one at Tampa Bay, and probably had a hand in developing Lavonte David and Devin White into one of the best ILB pairs in the game.

SYSTEM FIT? The Bucs’ system is not that far off from the Ravens, in that there and in Arizona Foote was a part of defenses that really leaned on the secondary. They base out of a two-high and bring a lot of pressure from the OLBs or nickels.

VIC FANGIO​

CURRENT JOB: Unemployed. Was HC of the Denver Broncos last year.

SUMMARY: 63, longtime vagabond NFL defensive coordinator, landed with Harbaugh in Stanford after three years with the Ravens, then was Harbaugh’s DC all three year in San Francisco. Most recently HC of the Broncos after a stint as DC for the Bears.

History: Started as a high school coach in his hometown of Dunmore, PA, around the time I was born. UNC plucked him out of Milford Academy, then he went to the USFL, which was a thing back then, then the NFL as the Saints LBs coach for a long time (1986-1994). After that it was one NFL stint to the next: DC of the Panthers (1995-‘98), DC of the Colts (1999-2001), then the Texans (2002-‘05) and the Ravens as a quasi-associate HC when they got as far as the AFC Championship. Greg Mattison replaced Rex Ryan as DC in 2009 and Fangio was demoted to LBs coach, then landed with Jim Harbaugh at Stanford in 2010. In 2011 they were both back in the NFL with the 49ers, where Fangio was Harbaugh’s DC through 2014. There was some talk of Fangio following Jim to Michigan but it was just that—Fangio got the DC job with the Bears, and in three good seasons earned his first head coaching job with the Broncos. That lasted 3 years; he was fired after the penultimate game of last season, after going 7-10 in 2021, and 19-30 overall.

HISTORICAL DEFENSIVE RANKINGS: That 2010 Stanford defense was 17th in S&P+, a huge leap up from 84th in 2009 and 76th in 2008.

As for his NFL DVOAs, here’s the record, with the season before he arrived in parentheses.

• Carolina, 1995-‘98: (expansion), 7th, 4th, 22nd, 23rd
  • Indianapolis, 1999-‘01: (28th), 27th, 22nd, 22nd
  • Houston, 2002-‘05: (expansion), 18th, 26th, 19th, 32nd
  • San Francisco, 2011-‘14: (17th), 2nd, 7th, 11th, 5th
  • Chicago, 2015-‘18: (29th), 31st, 22nd, 14th, 1st
  • Denver (as HC): (6th), 13th, 14th, 20th
PLAYERS: Too many pros to count but can go around claiming Ray Lewis. Wasn’t at Stanford long enough to give him full credit for any of them.

SYSTEM FIT? 3-4 it’s
it’s “Multiple” with a lot of zone coverages and zone blitzes, and probably uses a lot of the same terminology.

ERIC WASHINGTON – SENIOR DEFENSIVE ASSISTANT/DEFENSIVE LINE, BUFFALO BILLS​

Eric Washington joined the Bills in 2020 as the team's defensive line coach and was promoted to senior defensive assistant/defensive line coach before the start of the 2022 season. In Washington's first season with the Bills, they went to the AFC Championship game, and in his second season, he helped lead a defense that ranked first in the NFL in the fewest points allowed per game (17.0) for the first time in franchise history.
Washington has experience as a Defensive Coordinator in Carolina(2018-19) under Head Coach Ron Rivera. Washington was promoted to Defensive Coordinator of the Panthers after Sean McDermott left to take the Head Coaching position in Buffalo. In 2018, Washington led the Panthers' defense from 28th to 12th in interceptions, 32nd to 13th in passes defended, and 18th to 9th in tackles for loss. Washington reunited with McDermott in Buffalo after Rivera was fired from the Panthers.
Washington is not the current Defensive Coordinator in Buffalo, so he would be eligible to interview from his current position. He has spent the last three years with Leslie Frazier, where their base defense is a 4-3 zone but spends much of the time disguising their defenses with different hybrid formations.

JOE WHITT JR. - SECONDARY COACH, DALLAS COWBOYS​

The Dallas Cowboys secondary coach has his unit ranked 4th in Pass DVOA, and the defense is ranked second in overall DVOA.

MIKE ZIMMER – ANALYST AT JACKSON STATE UNIVERSITY​

Mike Zimmer was Head Coach of the Minnesota Vikings from 2014-2021

Zimmer has had a long and successful career coaching defenses, and his roots go back to Barry Switzer and then Bill Parcells with the Dallas Cowboys in the late 1990s. He got his first Defensive Coordinator job with the Cowboys in 2000 and has since filled that role for the Atlanta Falcons and Cincinnati Bengals before taking on the Head Coaching job with the Vikings in 2014.

It is easy to see why he is the first name people think of when looking to fill a potential opening as a Defensive Coordinator. Zimmer ran a 3-4 in Dallas when Parcells forced his hand, but primarily Zimmer has coached a 4-3 base. He has been a proponent of split safety coverages like quarters, quarter-quarter-half, and Cover 2 more than most defensive play-callers in today's NFL.

Zimmer won't run a re-created version of Seattle Cover 3, as we have seen from Joe Woods and other Defensive Coordinators around the league. Instead, when he uses single high safety looks, it is to mix up his coverages and ensure the offense remains off-balance in early downs. Although early down run stuffing does not get fans fired up, it has allowed Zimmer's defenses to create second/third and long situations where he can get into his pressure packages.

He has always displayed one of the league's most impressive 3rd down defenses. Over the years, he has depended on exotic pressure designs, disguised coverages, and press techniques from his coverage players. The idea behind this is that by the time the receivers break open from the jam, the pressure should get home. Whether Zimmer would be open to a job in the NFL is unknown at this point. His son, Adam Zimmer sadly passed away at age 38 in late October.

Jim Leonhard

No introduction is needed here, very quickly Leonhard favors a 3-4 scheme that thrives on linebacker play, likes to bring pressure through different gaps and plays mixed coverage on the backside. Risk/reward scheme. Wisconsin consistently ranks among the nation’s best, including last season’s No. 1 finish in yards allowed per play. That defense allowed a measly 1.99 yards per carry, also best in all of FBS.

I'll add to the list as time progress's and if GB makes a move.

Great list, that you Mark. I've seen Brian Flores floated out there as a candidate because Murphy supposedly liked him when he interviewed for the HC job.

I will add here my disappointment with ML's comments today on Barry and the DC job in general. I hate how ML is seemingly the last person on planet earth to realize when a change needs to be made. Loyalty is a great virtue but obstinance is a vice, and there is a fine line between the two. GB had the doors blown off in the ground game against SF in 2019. Pettine was kept around another year and the end result was another playoff collapse. The entire D staff was retained except for Pettine in 2021 and the result is that the D has not been appreciably different in ML's entire tenure here. He brought in Joe Barry to run Fangio's scheme, but coaches actually matter and Barry is not Fangio. If they wanted someone to teach Fangio's scheme there are Youtube videos for that. The D had an uptick at the beginning of Barry's tenure but they actually started to decline late last year and they have not gotten better, and at this point the wheels have absolutely fallen off that group. They don't believe in it, and it's showing on the field. ML seems to be saying it's the players fault, but the players are playing crummy because they don't have any faith or trust in their coaches. It's not two separate things. I love ML but I need him to wake the hell up because right now he has the appearance of the proverbial boiled frog.

Great list, that you Mark. I've seen Brian Flores floated out there as a candidate because Murphy supposedly liked him when he interviewed for the HC job.

I will add here my disappointment with ML's comments today on Barry and the DC job in general. I hate how ML is seemingly the last person on planet earth to realize when a change needs to be made. Loyalty is a great virtue but obstinance is a vice, and there is a fine line between the two. GB had the doors blown off in the ground game against SF in 2019. Pettine was kept around another year and the end result was another playoff collapse. The entire D staff was retained except for Pettine in 2021 and the result is that the D has not been appreciably different in ML's entire tenure here. He brought in Joe Barry to run Fangio's scheme, but coaches actually matter and Barry is not Fangio. If they wanted someone to teach Fangio's scheme there are Youtube videos for that. The D had an uptick at the beginning of Barry's tenure but they actually started to decline late last year and they have not gotten better, and at this point the wheels have absolutely fallen off that group. They don't believe in it, and it's showing on the field. ML seems to be saying it's the players fault, but the players are playing crummy because they don't have any faith or trust in their coaches. It's not two separate things. I love ML but I need him to wake the hell up because right now he has the appearance of the proverbial boiled frog.
I agree with this but your overstating the Barry thing, he wasn't GB first choice. The hometown heroin madison Jimmy L strung everyone along for a couple of weeks by which time all the decent DCV were hired. ML only hired Barry because he was familiar with him from the rams. ( Note to Badger fans Kate isn't going to make leaving Madison easy)

As far as loyalty goes this deep in firing your DC does what? Makes the fans feel better yes, hand the call list to whom? Jerry Grey ran a 43 front and isn't really a fit and no one else on staff fits. It sounds grand... "Fire the@#%$" but at the end of the day after week 18 will do.

I get your angst and everyone else's but this staff was 26-6 the past two seasons? I really think we need to give the HC a little more latitude then this is all I am saying.

I agree with this but your overstating the Barry thing, he wasn't GB first choice. The hometown heroin madison Jimmy L strung everyone along for a couple of weeks by which time all the decent DCV were hired. ML only hired Barry because he was familiar with him from the rams. ( Note to Badger fans Kate isn't going to make leaving Madison easy)

As far as loyalty goes this deep in firing your DC does what? Makes the fans feel better yes, hand the call list to whom? Jerry Grey ran a 43 front and isn't really a fit and no one else on staff fits. It sounds grand... "Fire the@#%$" but at the end of the day after week 18 will do.

I get your angst and everyone else's but this staff was 26-6 the past two seasons? I really think we need to give the HC a little more latitude then this is all I am saying.
I get the preference, and as I understand it Barry wasn't even choice 2 or 3 but he is the guy ML settled on, and ML/the org allowed themselves to be strung along to begin with, and whose fault is that?

As I said, I really like ML and I'm more excited about the future of the offense going forward than I was going into this season, but I think the D staff has been completely bungled (going back to Murphy insisting that Pettine stay on in 2019). I don't know if turning things over to Jerry Grey right now makes things better or worse, but right now from my perspective it looks to me like ML is throwing players under the bus to protect his guy, who was a weak sauce hire to begin with.

I like Mike Zimmer. He's always been creative, and finds ways to disguise coverages.
Zimmer also brings his instagram hot GF with him. LOL

How about a guy like Jerod Mayo? He's NE LB coach has gotten a few HC interviews.

Here is ML's quote:

LaFleur was asked on Monday if there was any thought of letting Barry go or replacing him as the defensive play caller and LaFleur said that wasn’t on the table.

“We’re not going to go down that road,” LaFleur said, via Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. “If I thought there was an issue there, then I would certainly, we’d make the change. But we work as a staff. And collectively, we’re all in this sucker together.”

I know he is not going to say anything now about his frustrations but to say "we work as a staff. And collectively, we’re all in this sucker together.” That worries me. Now maybe he changes his mind at the end of the season, but it sounds like he will go down with Barry no matter what. He could have just said that's not on the table at this point and left it at that.

We will see what happens the rest of the way.......

Here is ML's quote:

LaFleur was asked on Monday if there was any thought of letting Barry go or replacing him as the defensive play caller and LaFleur said that wasn’t on the table.

“We’re not going to go down that road,” LaFleur said, via Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. “If I thought there was an issue there, then I would certainly, we’d make the change. But we work as a staff. And collectively, we’re all in this sucker together.”

I know he is not going to say anything now about his frustrations but to say "we work as a staff. And collectively, we’re all in this sucker together.” That worries me. Now maybe he changes his mind at the end of the season, but it sounds like he will go down with Barry no matter what. He could have just said that's not on the table at this point and left it at that.

Coach speak. And as much as the DC is to blame there are a few guys who are not producing to the standard they were last year (#29 comes to mind), safety play is a complete mess and Campbell , Stokes and Gary are out. And then a few guys miscast in roles so yeah it’s a collective mess

Here is ML's quote:

If come the end of the season and the Packers don't fire Barry either Murphy forbad it which is BS or ML just is a crappy judge of his assistant coaches.

Back