Post Game: Packers Hang On And Defeat The Bears

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
It wasn't pretty but Green bay got the W on the road against a very blah Bears FB team. Bad news looks like we maybe down 2 RB next week. I'll always take a W.

Postgame injury report also included Hundley's hammie, which I think we noticed on his last scramble.

Hundley finally makes some plays with his arm. Packers win 27-20

He he did finally make some plays but was far too late on others. Packers ran the ball really well and the defense got some important stops. The 5 sacks were nice but we have to take into account it was all vs the Bears. Nice win. On to next week

Is it to early to proclaim that The Pack is Back!?!?

I'm not going to say the Packers won. I'm going to say that the Bears were more inept than the Packers, therefore lost the game. Like my wife said; "The Packers just weren't bad enough to out-bad the Bears."

I'm not going to say the Packers won. I'm going to say that the Bears were more inept than the Packers, therefore lost the game. Like my wife said; "The Packers just weren't bad enough to out-bad the Bears."

I came here to write that I think the Packer W says more about the Bears than the Pack, but you beat me to it :)

Have to say, so far both RBs we drafted this year look legit - Jones is better but Williams ran harder, with more burst and certainly more passion than he has all year. With Monty and Jones now out for a while I hope we get to see Mays get some carries as well.

Hundley had those two really legit, high caliber NFL throws - the TD to Adams and later the bomb to Adams - but beyond that he was still very late and slow diagnosing and getting the ball out. It's almost like at the end of the game he seemed to play a little more relaxed and that maybe helped him push the ball down the field. I think he has an NFL arm but don't know about the mental stuff.

I came here to write that I think the Packer W says more about the Bears than the Pack, but you beat me to it :)

Have to say, so far both RBs we drafted this year look legit - Jones is better but Williams ran harder, with more burst and certainly more passion than he has all year. With Monty and Jones now out for a while I hope we get to see Mays get some carries as well.

Hundley had those two really legit, high caliber NFL throws - the TD to Adams and later the bomb to Adams - but beyond that he was still very late and slow diagnosing and getting the ball out. It's almost like at the end of the game he seemed to play a little more relaxed and that maybe helped him push the ball down the field. I think he has an NFL arm but don't know about the mental stuff.

You said a couple of things that got me thinking, and even when things look bad, there's a little sunshine out there.

First of all, the "money throws" that Hundley had. They did show he has the arm, and physical ability to play in the league. His indecisive passing seemed to disappear in those few. You made me think that maybe the mental problems are coming from McCarthy and staff telling him to "protect the ball at all costs." It's like he's afraid to pull the trigger most of the time. When he lets go, and like the announcer said, he "trusts his arm and receivers," good things happened. Maybe there is hope that we can get a mid-range draft pick for him, if we trade him. That would be something. A lot better than letting him walk away.

Then you mentioned Mays. I'm anxious to see him too. Even if this year is shot, we're looking at another body who could be a productive part of 2018. At this point, this is as much a part of today's game as anything else. Rodgers should be back, and healthy next year. No carry-over injuries that linger. He could be in better shape than he has been at any time since he took over as our starting QB.

I'm a believer that you need to use the bad things that happen to you as a team to develop character. Right now, no matter what happens, it's character building time for the Packers, from the front office to the guys on the field. How they handle themselves for the rest of the year will tell us exactly who they intend to be next year.

I thought the Bear defense would be good enough to stymie the Pack. Figured they would outscore us because either their defense would score, or set them up with a few more short fields to work with. Fortunately their defense was more average than I expected, and their offense more inept than ever.

It's good to get a win. Hopefully it is part of a move in the right direction, but the pessimistic side of me says probably not. The remaining teams we play other than the Browns will have better offenses than Chicago. The Bucs and Browns seem like reasonably good shots at wins. The Ravens can be had so that leaves me with hope of an 8-8 season. Beyond that, the rest of those games look like losses. Maybe the Lions can be had at the end of they have nothing to play for.

The good parts of yesterday:
Hundley had more good moments than in previous games. Made some nice throws. Still seems like he's thinking too much and playing it really safe, but maybe experience will help his progress.

The defense played well against the run. Part of that is that they were committing bodies to stopping it and taking their chances that Trubisky would not hurt them too much. They won't be able to do that against most of the rest of the teams on the schedule.

Jamaal Williams had a nice game in addition to what was already a pretty good day running the football. He will never be a big-time back, I don't think, but could be a valuable guy to have if he keeps running like that. He'd shown flashes of it before, but he's decisive, hits the crease he sees, and hits it . . . HARD. I doubt that he breaks many runs in his career, but there is value in a guy like him that rarely gets negative yardage on a play. Protecting a lead late and short yardage situations call for a guy who'll get positive yards.

Back