Pre-combine mock

I like danno's analysis. Just the thought of projecting covering at least one need through free agency, with a quality player, is something that could make a huge difference in whom they need to draft at #12. It could also free up that pick to trade down, and add a lower 1st, and possibly a second to go with it. That would give us the following picks by rounds. 2,2,1,2,1,2,1. If you can pop in another 3rd through some kind of a deal along the way, you would have a pretty good draft going in.

Another way to look at it would be to trade our #12 pick to someone you know is going to have a horrible season for their 2nd and 4th this year, along with their 1st next year. Stock the shelves over two years, not try to do it in one.

I don't think you want to move out of 12. Last year we traded down when Derwin James was there and the rest is history. IMO there will be a guy there who fills a need, will contribute right away and could be a difference maker. No way to predict who will have a good or a bad season, see NOLA last year.

The most important thing to remember I think is that this roster is currently soft in so many places, at 12 you need a guy who is going to come in and play and make an impact right away and it doesn't really matter where it is. Also, rarely does the draft play out exactly as planned, someone who was supposed to go higher always seems to fall a little and we can't play games here. If it's OT like Taylor, Williams or Dillard, if it's an interior DL like Oliver, Wilkins, an ILB like Devin White, or any of the edge guys we've been talking about, someone will very likely be there and Gute can't get paralysis by analysis again about tiers and value - the game is about players.

I don't disagree that the 12th pick would be better than.... let's say the 22nd. That stands to reason. But just having the 12th doesn't mean that the guy you want will be there, and if the next guy you like could be grabbed at 22 or below, trading that 12 would make a lot of sense.

I stick with what I said simply because there are reasons where trading down is justifiable. The Derwin James statement is true, but do we actually know James would have thrived in our system? Adding to this, looking at it now is hindsight.

I do agree though that he would have been a good pick. At least it appears that way.

Hockenson is more overrated then Fant or Smith.(my opinion) The "but he can block " stuff is silly. So can a converted OT but can he run a pattern and catch consistently ? Can he get down field quickly and block in outside zone ? Iowa runs inside zone and the last 2 seasons some man blocking.

Just like last year I have an inside with Welch the LB at Iowa. Really didn't like his take on either Iowa TE as he told me that they both have ego's that won't fit through the door. I think it's hard to know how the board falls and what GB priorities really are with a new staff. Biggest crap shoot in years trying to predict this one.

Just like last year I have an inside with Welch the LB at Iowa. Really didn't like his take on either Iowa TE as he told me that they both have ego's that won't fit through the door. I think it's hard to know how the board falls and what GB priorities really are with a new staff. Biggest crap shoot in years trying to predict this one.

At this point we don't have a clue as to what direction this coaching staff will go. We don't even know what new wrinkles the new HC wants added on defense. We don't know what he sees as the highest priority, and what he believes he needs to turn the offense into a real winner.

It's a new game, and we won't know anything until we see what they do in free agency. That might give us some minor indication as to what they'll do in the draft.

Until then, I'm seeing them ready to do anything to rebuild this team in two drafts, not just one.

I just like to discuss options, but you can't get real wedded to anything at this point. Free agency might mess with their priorities and change how they approach the draft. Fit might be an issue for some players and we still don't have a real handle on BG yet either.

In the past TT tended to draft guys who tested well. Not that tape didn't matter, it just seemed like they liked size/speed guys, especially late and early. BG probably has the same tendencies but we'll see what happens in this draft.

I don't think you want to move out of 12. Last year we traded down when Derwin James was there and the rest is history. IMO there will be a guy there who fills a need, will contribute right away and could be a difference maker. No way to predict who will have a good or a bad season, see NOLA last year.
Imo that guy could be White there. Imagine what Petine could do with him.

I don't disagree that the 12th pick would be better than.... let's say the 22nd. That stands to reason. But just having the 12th doesn't mean that the guy you want will be there, and if the next guy you like could be grabbed at 22 or below, trading that 12 would make a lot of sense.

I stick with what I said simply because there are reasons where trading down is justifiable. The Derwin James statement is true, but do we actually know James would have thrived in our system? Adding to this, looking at it now is hindsight.

I do agree though that he would have been a good pick. At least it appears that way.
Yes can say he would cuz his on field and high football IQ was there

Back