RIP - John Brockington

57packer

Reaction score
Didn't see this anywhere. Thought it deserved a thread. John was "the" running back for the Packers during my teenage years. Had a short but highly productive career.

From ESPN article -
John Brockington, a former All-Pro fullback who ranks fourth on the Green Bay Packers' career rushing list, has died. He was 74.

The Packers announced Brockington died Friday in San Diego.

Brockington played for the Packers from 1971 to '77 and rushed for 5,024 yards during that stretch. The only players to gain more yards rushing with the Packers are Ahman Green (8,322 from 2000 to '09), Jim Taylor (8,207 from 1958 to 1966) and Aaron Jones (5,284 from 2017 to present).

He was the first running back in NFL history to rush for over 1,000 yards in each of his first three seasons.

ESPN article on Brockington

The last time I talked to John was back in September of 2003. We were both in Green Bay for the opening game of the season, against the Vikings. It was the day they inaugurated the atrium and Lambeau Field. I ran into him at the Packer Hall of Fame.

Our conversation was fantastic, and carried over into one of the restaurants in the Atrium, with our wives. We sat there, for over an hour, talking.

RIP John. I know Diane will keep your advocacy group for kidney disease and transplant going strong.

Back