RIP Ted Thompson

GBP4EVER

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
2022 Draft Guru
Reaction score
140324102_10108146926161728_5569428734024074982_n.jpg

In 13 seasons as general manager, Ted Thompson's teams combined for a 125-82-1 regular season record, nine postseason appearances, six NFC North titles, and a win in Super Bowl XLV.

@AndrewBrandt
He looked at me and said his mantra: “Trust the Board.”

When referring to the choice to draft Aaron Rodgers in 05.

Terrible news. TT made one of the bravest and most consequential decisions in the history of professional sports when he moved on from Favre to hand the reigns over to Rodgers. Idiots out there were practically calling for him to be burned in effigy after he made that call, and he had the stones to stick with it despite the enormous pressure placed on him by Favre, the media, and a huge percentage of the fanbase.

His call - and the other decisions he made - led to a Super Bowl and another decade of excellence. He faded towards the end - citing that autonomic disorder (and he lost some talent in his front office as well) - and it's fair to be critical of those last few years. But when he was at his peak, I'm not sure if there was a better GM in football.

RIP Ted. He brought us a championship and several competitive and enjoyable seasons. Man his health really went down hill quickly. Sad stuff.

Teds best and worst of his drafts. Overall his hits were way bigger then the busts he had.

Best: Rodgers and Collins
Worst: Murphy (Did suffer career ending injury so can't really blame Ted)

Best: Jennings
Worst: Hodge

Best: Jones and Crosby
Worst: Harrell (perhaps his worst draft pick ever)

Best: Nelson and Finley
Worst: Brohm and Lee

Best: Raji, Matthews, Lang
Worst: Meredith

Best: Bulaga
Worst: Newhouse

Best: Cobb
Worst: Sherrod

Best: Hayward and Daniels
Worst: Worthy

Best: Bakhtiari
Worst: Jones

Best: Adams
Worst: Thornton

2015 (Probably his worst draft overall)
Best: Montgomery
Worst: Randall and Rollins

Best: Clark
Worst: Spriggs

Best: Aaron Jones and Williams
Worst: Josh Jones and M. Adams

His last few drafts were pretty poor but to his credit, he put together a Super Bowl winner and IMO he should have had a 2nd Super Bowl team had MM and Co. not blown that NFCCG against the Seahawks. Unfortunately the team let him hang on 2-3 years too many.

Hopefully most fans fill remember him for that Super Bowl winner and the Aaron Rodgers pick - a pair of franchise defining moments for the years he was there.

RIP Ted, and say "Hi" to Willie W., Herb, Paul and Willie D. It's been a rough last 12 months for former Packer greats.

He seemed like a very good man. I loved his quirky/dry sense of humor a lot.

I liked a couple of sentences from the NFL site.

"Thompson's legacy in Green Bay lives on in the Packers' current roster. Among the players set to enter Sunday's NFC Championship Game who were drafted by Thompson are Rodgers, Adams, Bakhtiari, Linsley, Clark, Crosby, Aaron Jones, Jamaal Williams and Kevin King."

With one exception (ahem), that seems like a pretty good legacy to leave. I'm sure Bakh would give about anything to be out there with them.

R.I.P.

Back