Smoother Jazz: Badgers WR Peavy hoping for injury-free, productive year

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
http://www.foxsports.com/wisconsin/...hoping-for-injury-free-productive-year-042215

Jazz Peavy felt his time had arrived. That, after taking a redshirt season in 2013, he would prove himself as one of the most important pieces to the wide receiver group in 2014.

On the third day of fall camp, however, he injured his hamstring. And the way he sees it, that development essentially sealed his fate and slid him out of the picture entirely for playing time.

"I just wasn't able to come back fast enough to showcase what I can do," Peavy said. "So I ended up taking a role as a scout team player again."

It has no doubt been a frustrating two seasons for Peavy at Wisconsin because both campaigns were marred by pesky hamstring injuries that prevented him from practicing at full strength. But as spring practices near an end and the 2015 season comes closer into view, Peavy has indeed positioned himself to be a focal point for the Badgers at receiver.

In fact, receivers coach Ted Gilmore noted Peavy has been among the most consistent players of the spring alongside Alex Erickson, who led the team with 55 catches last season.

"Jazz has put about four or five practices back to back," Gilmore said. "So I'm very pleased with him, and we're going to continue to challenge him to grow and put more on his plate. He's answering the bell to this point."

Where Peavy fits in exactly in the wide receiver rotation remains a work in progress.

PI-CFB-Tanner-McEvoy-121914.vadapt.955.high.0.jpg

Related Content
Wisconsin opened its Sunday scrimmage with Erickson and Reggie Love as the team's two receivers, but Peavy quickly worked his way in as part of a three-wide set. And his production has been difficult to ignore.

During one five-play drive last week, Peavy caught three passes, including a tough five-yard touchdown in traffic at the back of the end zone from quarterback Alex Hornibrook.

"You're trying guys at different combinations, putting guys at different spots," Gilmore said. "Probably the only guy that's been more consistent at this point is Alex. And he's right there. Don't get caught up in who's playing X, Z, this and that. Trust me. That young man at this point has put himself in position to help us play."

It is a role Peavy has relished since he arrived at Wisconsin from Kenosha Tremper, where he caught 38 passes for 535 yards and eight touchdowns as a senior. Peavy injured his hamstring during preparations for the Wisconsin Football Coaches Association all-star game that summer and was unable to show much of his talent in fall camp -- the same scenario that plagued him last season.

"I wasn't able to practice the plays out on the field," Peavy said. "I feel like that's the easiest way I learn and probably most people learn is actually doing plays, not just seeing them. So I wasn't able to do that or I couldn't showcase what I could do. I just fell behind, and that was that story."

Peavy said he was working to better grasp the team's playbook, which features new terminology with a new coaching staff. Feedback he's received from Gilmore and offensive coordinator Joe Rudolph is that there still are little things he must work on, particularly when it comes to securing blocks in the run game.

"He's done a heck of a job," Rudolph said. "I've liked what he's done this spring."

PI_WISCONSIN_BADGERS_LOGO-2014.vadapt.955.high.0.jpg

Badgers Coverage
There certainly is room for Peavy in the receiver rotation. Erickson is the only returning receiver with more than 13 catches. Slot receiver Kenzel Doe (17 catches, 197 yards, one touchdown) is gone, as is tight end Sam Arneson(29 catches, 387 yards, four touchdowns) and running back Melvin Gordon(19 catches, 153 yards, three touchdowns). Those three ranked 2-4 on the team in total catches.

Peavy and Rob Wheelwright figure to play important roles for the first time, while Krenwick Sanders and George Rushing (six combined catches last season) also vie for playing time. Jordan Fredrick (13 catches, 126 yards) has been sidelined this spring with an injury but is the best blocking receiver in the bunch and should see plenty of reps as well.

Peavy's mission now is to continue on the same path that has allowed him to reach this point. And, of course, staying healthy is priority No. 1.

"I'm going to continue working with our quarterbacks, whatever day, whenever they can throw, I'll be there and I'll be throwing," Peavy said. "I'm going to continue to go up and see the coaches, make sure I'm learning the plays, concepts, so wherever they do put me, I'll feel comfortable with it. And I'm going to make sure I work on my flexibility. Make sure I don't hurt anything again. That's probably the biggest thing I've been focusing on."

Man, he's not the only one who hopes that. It'd be nice to have an actual 2nd receiver out there

Back