Trading Aaron Rodgers

ChampionshipBelt

Reaction score
So I understand this is a topic that has been discussed a little but I thought it might be good to discuss it in its own thread as well as talk about some trade scenarios.

Looking back at Jordan Love being drafted, what if Gute really thinks he is the next starter for the franchise (I know a lot of us here do not) and he wants to make this team his team. ML seems to have a good relationship with AR but yet AR is stuck in his ways and probably is not running his O the way he wants it to be run. ML was most likely also looking for his QB of the future.

Let's look at the players the Packers drafted in the 2020 draft. A first round QB that has some talent but is not ready to handle it on his own. Then we draft a RB who is a 247lb bruiser with some speed, a blocking TE/H-back with athletic ability, and three o-lineman. (mainly inside guys) What this tells me is ML wants to run the ball a lot more in the next year or two. (I realize his offense is about running the ball more) It also helps Love in the future in that they are looking at making the o-line more solidified and a bigger bruising back. (Looks a little like Tennessee to me) If we are focused on the run, we do not need a QB like AR anymore. We need a game manager that can make plays with his feet which is it love? Not in my opinion but it could be the opinion of Gute and ML.

Do you think this has all been done to look at trading AR and getting as much as possible in the next year or two? The more I think about it, I do. The Raiders could be a destination. I can see Gruden wanting AR. He is not in love with Carr and they some good pieces where a good QB could put them over the edge. We have also talked about the Chargers as a destination. Knowing Gruden and the Raiders management, couldn't you see them throwing a #1 pick and some other draft picks or players at us to get AR? I could.

Having stated all this, in my opinion AR could be traded after this year and for sure in two years based on salary cap numbers. They could trade him next year if AR pushed his bonus post June and of course in 2022 the cap number is not really as much of an issue. We have Patrick or possibly this new draft pick Hanson to take over at Center. (Linsley is gone and saves 8M, I believe) Lane Taylor will be gone after next year which saves us another 6M. If we do not pay Aaron Jones, then we have more money to play with. Will they resign Bak? We will see how expensive he is. All of this money frees up with these players being let go and AR being traded. We then have plenty of money to play with as well as possibly extra draft picks to rebuild this team.

I am not saying I want this to happen. What I am saying is I can see this scenario playing out and possibly what Gute and ML are thinking.

Feel free to rip me, if you wish! thumbsup

I am in the minority, but I actually think there is less here to read into. The team is looking at his age, his contract and his performance. They know they need to add a prospect at QB. They are looking at college QBs right now and don't like what's likely to be in the pipeline for them so they pulled the trigger on Love. They don't have plans to trade Rodgers, or cut him, and they aren't sending any messages. Call me naive, but I actually believe that if Rodgers plays well, they will want to keep him through the end of the 2021 season. If he doesn't, they feel like they should have a starter to replace him. I don't think they have decided one way or the other, and how he plays and how the team does will affect the path they take.

# 1 you trade up for a game manager in round 1 you need to get shown the door immediately. That all said it’s clear Gute and ML think Love is a franchise type QB, you don’t trade draft equity to do it. Do I think the plan is to deal him at some point yes, when is another question. I don’t think the offensive philosophy changed in one year. This was draft was to continue to reboot the offense and there I think he failed. He also did nothing to solve the issues in the run game to add to that failure. Bottom line i think Rodgers walks away from the game in 1-2 years. Football is not his love. Malibu is. Only way he gets traded is to “his choice “ of destination. If not he walks.

# 1 you trade up for a game manager in round 1 you need to get shown the door immediately. That all said it’s clear Gute and ML think Love is a franchise type QB, you don’t trade draft equity to do it. Do I think the plan is to deal him at some point yes, when is another question. I don’t think the offensive philosophy changed in one year. This was draft was to continue to reboot the offense and there I think he failed. He also did nothing to solve the issues in the run game to add to that failure. Bottom line i think Rodgers walks away from the game in 1-2 years. Football is not his love. Malibu is. Only way he gets traded is to “his choice “ of destination. If not he walks.
Winner)

Pack, if this is the way AR feels and shows this then why not trade him after this year and get some draft capital and then rebuild. Just trying to be devils advocate here.

Rodgers pulls a Favre and works his way to MN to stick it to Gutekunst :)

Obviously LaFleur has tremendous respect for Rodgers. From his perspective though, imagine being able to get a kid with some Rodgers-esque ability and being able to mold him to fit the system you want to run.

I’ve often said, for an example, that if Rodgers played a true WCO style and bought in I can see him having the best statistical season of his career. He’s just become far too reliant on waiting for a big play and if not just throw it away. I don’t think he’s going to change for LaFleur.

That’s not to say Green Bay can’t have one last great run with Aaron. They surely can. I just believe LaFleur sold his style and system to Gutey as a long term vision. There’s an old proverb that I’m paraphrasing here: “Make your own mistakes. Don’t make someone else’s.” For the long term, I believe that’s what we’re seeing. They’re flipping the team over the course of a few seasons to what LaFleur believes in. Whether or not it works is his cross to bear.

That doesn't mean Love is the guy, though. But my guess is that you're going to see him in action sooner than expected. I don't think he'll sit around for three full seasons on the bench.

Best guess he has no more than 2 seasons left and as stated by others he gets traded or walks away.

Pack, if this is the way AR feels and shows this then why not trade him after this year and get some draft capital and then rebuild. Just trying to be devils advocate here.
Because I don’t feel he has the equity to get much in return. He’s going to carry a big number both cash and cap so the market shrinks immediately Also they have to maneuver some money (with 12’s ok) so the dead cap money is more manageable.

Obviously LaFleur has tremendous respect for Rodgers. From his perspective though, imagine being able to get a kid with some Rodgers-esque ability and being able to mold him to fit the system you want to run.

I’ve often said, for an example, that if Rodgers played a true WCO style and bought in I can see him having the best statistical season of his career. He’s just become far too reliant on waiting for a big play and if not just throw it away. I don’t think he’s going to change for LaFleur.

That’s not to say Green Bay can’t have one last great run with Aaron. They surely can. I just believe LaFleur sold his style and system to Gutey as a long term vision. There’s an old proverb that I’m paraphrasing here: “Make your own mistakes. Don’t make someone else’s.” For the long term, I believe that’s what we’re seeing. They’re flipping the team over the course of a few seasons to what LaFleur believes in. Whether or not it works is his cross to bear.

That doesn't mean Love is the guy, though. But my guess is that you're going to see him in action sooner than expected. I don't think he'll sit around for three full seasons on the bench.

Best guess he has no more than 2 seasons left and as stated by others he gets traded or walks away.
Guarantee Love will start by year 3 at the latest. You have to decide to pick up the 5th year option after year 3 so the Packers will want Love to start at least one year to know if he is worth picking up a now guaranteed 5th year that will be at over $20 million dollars.

Back