Wisconsin Football: What does the QB position look like in 2020?

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
No, tell me which game he was the reason we won.

He was horrible against IL and OSU, and not good against others and in the Rose Bowl.

The Badgers didn't win because of quarterbacking.

Coan was 3rd most efficient QB in the Big 10 last year. Highest in pass completion percentage, and lowest in INTs.

He had good games and a couple of bad ones. With Taylor running the ball, we didn't need a great QB out there. How well Watson, Groshek, and Guerendo (assuming he ends up #3) can handle moving the ball on the ground will have a big bearing on how well Coan does this year. The trick is to keep him away from 3rd and long. That can be tough on any QB, even the best. In his case, he's been known to be erratic on those passes, but at least erring on the side of INCs, not INTs.

WR is also going to be an issue. No Cephus. It could be a tough year finding a couple of WRs who actually catch the ball consistently enough to allow us to have any significant passing game.

Of course all of this can change with a shorter season, and what is an abbreviated camp to prepare. You just don't know what's gonna happen. Still, with either Coan or Mertz, this team could win the West. I doubt they could get past OSU or Penn St.

No, tell me which game he was the reason we won.

He was horrible against IL and OSU, and not good against others and in the Rose Bowl.

The Badgers didn't win because of quarterbacking.
He was 25/35 vs Oregon we must have not watched the same game. This offense is not built around a QB winning the game and it won’t change with the second coming of Joe Montana (Mertz). The reason we won games was because he was efficient, did not turn the ball over. A game we won because of him? Minnesota. 15/22 280 yds 2 TD 0 int. Oh Taylor ran for under 100 that day. Oh not good against others? Season : 236/339 69.7% comp rate 18TD 5 Int QB rating 151.8

Last edited:
Only 4 INTs last year. Best in the conference. Good ball management.

I think we're a second tier team because of our quarterback play.

Our quarterback play let's team load the line of scrimmage.

Just think if we had a quarterback that could add something.

As I recall, Coan threw an interception that ended all chances of beating IL. And, when it counted, he couldn't do anything against OR and I believe he threw an interception that ended that game too.

If you guys are content, fine. I want more.

I think Chryst is a good coach and a hell of a man. If he thinks Coan is his man, I'll have to accept that.

I think we're a second tier team because of our quarterback play.

Our quarterback play let's team load the line of scrimmage.

Just think if we had a quarterback that could add something.

As I recall, Coan threw an interception that ended all chances of beating IL. And, when it counted, he couldn't do anything against OR and I believe he threw an interception that ended that game too.

If you guys are content, fine. I want more.

I think Chryst is a good coach and a hell of a man. If he thinks Coan is his man, I'll have to accept that.
Want more? What a natty? CFP? How was that defense vs Illinois? That defense let Herbert look like Vince Young? Sometimes the expectations of UW fans are border line unrealistic. And no Mertz is not the savior, if he was he would have won the job last year

Coan injured his foot and will be out for weeks. Sucks for the kid. I was hoping he'd prove me wrong.

I DID NOT want him to lose his job this way

Back