Wisconsin recruiting: Updates on Jamil Kamara and Tavante Beckett, recruits tear up WIAA...

C

Curtis Hogg

usa-today-7653407.0.jpg

The Badgers are front-runners to nab a highly-regarded transfer, some news that's not really news and more Wisconsin recruiting updates as we head into the weekend.

In January 2014, Wisconsin just lost out on four-star wide receiver Jamil Kamara when the Virginia Beach (Bishop Sullivan Catholic), Va. native announced his commitment to Virginia. Then last week, the tables were turned when Kamara tweeted out that he was transferring from the Cavaliers football program.

One catch for six yards after Rivals.com ranked you the 17th receiver in the nation may do that.

BadgerNation.com's Benjamin Worgull reports Wisconsin is a favorite to land Kamara ($).

Virginia WR transfer Jamil Kamara (@JKamara1) says the #Badgers currently lead for him ($) http://t.co/hDyIV0aFUa

— Benjamin Worgull (@TheBadgerNation) June 5, 2015

Wisconsin head coach Paul Chyrst recruited Kamara while at Pittsburgh, with the 6'2, 210-pound receiver even making a campus visit. That very well could play heavily into the Badgers' favor. If Kamara joins the Badgers (or any other FBS team), NCAA regulations would require him to sit out the 2015 season. He would then have three years of eligibility remaining.

With A.J. Taylor setting his decision date for August 1, these next eight weeks could possibly be very fruitful for the future of Wisconsin's passing game under Chryst.

Kamara, as recruits are all so often inclined to do, hasn't been afraid to interact with Badgers fans on his Twitter account.

Speaking of tweeting at recruits...

There was a post fake post from a fake account claiming to be Wisconsin Compliance on 247Sports' Badgers message board announcing UW had to report recruiting violations and stop recruiting certain players as a result of interactions between fans and recruits on social media.

After about an hour, order was restored and UW Compliance verified it wasn't them posting it.

Email to me from @UWCompliance: "This message wasn’t put on the 247Sports message board by our Compliance Office." i.e. Hoax. #Badgers

— Dave Heller (@dave_heller) June 5, 2015

Post on @Badger247 from Wisconsin Compliance is a fake. Carry on. http://t.co/WLCVFqMj6W #Badgers

— Evan Flood (@Evan_Flood) June 5, 2015

It's not really news, but it's probably best to leave recruiting to coaching staffs because, you know, they're the ones paid (and allowed) to do so.

Plus, remember how the "show me some love show me some love" show went with former Wisconsin target and current Oklahoma running back Joe Mixon.

(Ed. note: tweeting at recruits is bad, mmmmkay? There's your B5Q PSA of the week.)

Wisconsin targets off the board

A handful of 2016 recruits the Badgers had offered committed Friday to play on campuses that aren't on an isthmus in the state of Wisconsin.

Four-star defensive end Josh King, three-star tight end Ray Marten and three-star cornerback Aaron Robinson announced their commitments to Michigan State, Boston College and Florida, respectively.

Hinsdale South Top100 DE Josh King commits to #MichiganState: http://t.co/0kDwmAL6Dg #Spartans

— Steve Wiltfong (@SWiltfong247) June 5, 2015

Officially committed to Boston College this morning! Thank you to all my coaches, my family, friends and everyone else who supported me!

— RayMarten (@ray_marten) June 5, 2015

Officially Committed To The University Of Florida #chomp chomp !! pic.twitter.com/3uoH8dordi

— Aaron Robinson (@Arob_4) June 6, 2015

Zack Baun, Cole Van Lanen owning state track meets

2015 recruit Zack Baun, the state offensive player of the year as a quarterback at Brown Deer, Wis., will play linebacker for the Badgers starting in the fall. His athleticism is, well, elite to say the least, which he showed once again at the Wisconsin state track and field meet on Friday.

Baun took second in the Division 2 200-yard dash prelims, fourth in the 100-yard dash prelims and anchored the 4x100 relay that took second in the prelims.

2016 composite four-star offensive tackle and Wisconsin target Cole Van Lanen from Green Bay (Bay Port), Wis. won the Division 1 shot put title. Wisconsin offered Van Lanen and is currently considered the favorite, but a flurry of other Big Ten schools are still in the picture.

Your state champ in the shot put with a throw of 62 @colevanlanen5 pic.twitter.com/LAHNl9Yaem

— James LaBlonde (@jlablonde) June 6, 2015

Badgers close in on three-star linebacker

2016 recruit Tavante Beckett has narrowed his college decision down to two schools, according to 247Sports' Evan Watkins. Wisconsin and Virginia Tech are the two schools in the lead, with a decision hoping to come before the end of the summer.

From Chesapeake (Indian River), Va., the Hokies are the in-state option for Beckett, but the Wisconsin pedigree at linebacker could play into the Badgers advantage. A quick look Beckett's tape shows really impressive burst and a nose for the ball (Chirs Borland, anyone?). He punishes running backs and sure can drop back in coverage.

Continue reading...

Back