Wisconsin Sports Talk CFB Top 20 and Bottom Five (week 8, better late than never, edition)

Crease Creature

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Welcome welcome one and all to Crease Creature's thread of fun, mayhem, and prizes!
I am still accepting applications to have polls submitted to me to composite, without commentary. Week 7 and Week 6 are there.

So, there were radar teams and ranked teams that were already losing when I posted last week (heck, there was a week 8 game played on a Tuesday..., and a bunch on Thursday), and the same thing has happened again. But, we're still ahead of the curve on the balance of the schedule. Also, since it's Halloween, we're doing the poll by mascot. Onward!

1. Tigers--Knocked off a somewhat surprising Big Red team, one who's coach is being mentioned for a few of the open 'big-boy' jobs. The Tigers keep a stranglehold on the SEC West with a win tomorrow at Tuscaloosa. (Last: 1)
  2. Tigers--These aren't the 'Canes of old (or even last decade), but there was still a little hype surrounding this game. The Tigers were having none of that. (Last:2)
  3. Spartans-- No hangover for Mich St as they finally pounded an inferior team, and a Hoosier program that is plenty pesky. (last: 4)
  4. Bears--Besides being the #1 threat to America, they're also the #1 threat to win the BigXII and keep the Horned Frogs out of the playoffs (Last: 6)
  5. Crimson Tide--dropping a few spots for letting the Volunteers stay in the game the whole way, but it didn't seem to stop someone in the AP from handing you their first place vote. Looking ahead to the visitors from Death Valley? (Last: 3)
  6. Buckeyes--finally made the quarterback switch that I thought was pretty obvious in the offseason, and just pounded the poor Scarlet Knights. (last: 7)
  7. Cardinal--the Trees took care of business on a trip up north. It's looking like the toughest game left on the schedule is a visit from the Fighting Irish on Thanksgiving weekend. (Last: 9)
  8. Horned Frogs--(inactive) the Horny Toads had the weekend off, gearing up for a visit from the Mountaineers (last: 8) (spoiler: they beat the Mountaineers)
  9. Rebels--They get the big bump for beating the Aggies, but only because a couple of teams behind them (or outside the poll) were inactive. Also, because I heard on the radio that if they win out, they'd win the SEC West (even with two losses to Gators and Tigers) by virtue of the head to head win over the Tigers of Louisiana. If they do that. (Last: 18)
  10. Sooners--they seem to have put that loss to the Longhorns behind them and put a wallop on another Texas team in the Red Raiders. (last: 19)
  11. Hawkeyes--(inactive) Had an interesting thought experiment with a friend on how they could go undefeated and get passed over for a tournament berth. (last: 11)
  12. Fighting Irish--(inactive) surprisingly important match up with the Owls tomorrow.
  13. Rockets--a win over the 1-6 Minutemen wasn't enough to bump them into top 10 territory, and because I won't move inactive teams as long as I do this alone, they got stuck behind 11 and 12. (last: 13)
  14. Tigers--I almost put them where the Rebels were, but I liked the win over A&M more than the win over the Golden Hurricane (Last: 14)
  15. Owls--A win over the Pirates (who beat the Hokies, lost to the Gators by 7) gets them a small boost. (last: 16)
  16. Cowboys--Congrats, you beat the Jayhawks. Why'd they score 10? Nice safety, by the way. Want to see a team that's 9-0 drop out of the rankings really fast? Catch the Pokes' last four games (vs. TCU, @ISU, vs. Baylor, vs. OU)(last: 15)
  17. Wolverines--(inactive) not how I'd want to spend my bye week. Some great stuff from Coach Harbaugh on how to win on Halloween. Still the best two loss team in the country. (Last: 17)
  18. Utes--A devastating loss, and against a team on the ropes. You can win out and I think you'd still be on the outside, between you and a one-loss SEC team. (last: 5)
  19. Bruins--Second best two loss team in the country, but the best of the Bear teams in California. (last: NR)
  20. Badgers--It's Halloween, sooo maybe Bucky will have a nice treat for us. Houston was surprisingly good in relief of Stave. I've seen him look good before in spring practice, so it was nice to see it in a game. Offensive line, though, that's scary. (last: NR)
Welcome Back: Bruins, Badgers
Dropped Out: Aggies
Help! I'm Falling: Seminoles
Honorable Mention Scary Mascots: the Demon Deacon, Sparky the Sun Devil, Mr. C the Commodore, this thing

On the Radar: Cougars, Gators

The Bottom Five
124. Seminoles--a really exciting win for the Yellow Jackets, and an extraordinarily monumental loss for FSU. These are the games they've been playing for two seasons now, and they finally got caught. (Last: 9)
125. Football in the Sunflower State--it's really bad you guys (last: 125)
126. Tigers @ Commodores--Jay Cutler's alma mater doesn't really deserve to be here, but that game was just so awful. 3-10 Vandy...I'm sensing a theme with this Mizzou team. (last: 126)
127. Tigers @ Arkanschadenfreudesas--why not be roommates for a bit. Though 4 OTs is kinda cool, the Blue Devils and the Hokies did it too. (last: 127)
128. Louisville Basketball--coach knows, I'd say it's worse if he doesn't. He'd rather have us believe that he has no control over what his staff is doing or what his recruits are being exposed to while ON CAMPUS! I've got oceanfront property in Manhattan (KS) that I'd like to sell you. (last: 128)

Climbed out of the Pit: Yellow Jackets
Welcome to HELL!
Seminoles, Commodores
There is no salvation for the Damned! Tigers

Prayers and best wishes to Coach Kill up at Minnesota. I hope you have a long and healthy life, and in your honor, the Gophers will be given a reprieve from the Bottom Five for the rest of the season. I know that the passing of Flip Saunders played a large roll in your decision to step down, so please, for all of us, go home and enjoy your family.

Last edited:
Man, Minnesota reeeeaaaly makes it hard to follow through on what I said I would do for them.

Hey, at least they didn't lose to a bottom feeder like Purdue. That said, the Minny coaches couldn't have mismanaged the end of that game much worse.

Back