With their pick in Round 4 in the 2024 Draft GB Selects Evan Williams, safety, Oregon

Yup, this is the first pick that's a head-scratcher. He's got okay speed but not overly athletic. He's not very versatile or interchangeable as a safety. On top of it, Gute traded up for him. They must really have liked something about him. Hopefully it works out. I'll give Gute a little benefit of the doubt.
after the draft, gute was asked why he didn't draft a cb until the very last pick, he said the board just never fell that way. i mean, all four of those guys were available when they selected williams, who (on the surface) seems like a real reach at that point. and honestly there were better safeties available as well.

after the draft, gute was asked why he didn't draft a cb until the very last pick, he said the board just never fell that way. i mean, all four of those guys were available when they selected williams, who (on the surface) seems like a real reach at that point. and honestly there were better safeties available as well.
Well, better safeties based on what? We don’t know what Hafley is looking for in his S exactly. Those other safeties may not have fit what they want to do as well.

I get the impression the Packers feel the need to have 3 solid RBs available. We could even see some two back sets this year I'm guessing. We saw what happens when we have two and one gets injured, and the second one gets a ding. You lose the running game immediately. It sets the passing game up to fail.

On defense, there's fingers crossed that Eric Stokes is ready to be a force out there. Let's hope the injury bugs are behind him. If he can stay on the field, and return to the level he was when he started hitting his stride, it's going to be pretty good, having the depth at CB.

This depth chart will give you a good idea as to just how well off the Packers actually are. It's an impressive line up.

I get the impression the Packers feel the need to have 3 solid RBs available. We could even see some two back sets this year I'm guessing. We saw what happens when we have two and one gets injured, and the second one gets a ding. You lose the running game immediately. It sets the passing game up to fail.

On defense, there's fingers crossed that Eric Stokes is ready to be a force out there. Let's hope the injury bugs are behind him. If he can stay on the field, and return to the level he was when he started hitting his stride, it's going to be pretty good, having the depth at CB.

This depth chart will give you a good idea as to just how well off the Packers actually are. It's an impressive line up.

not sure why this is posted in a thread about evan williams.

Last edited:
Well, better safeties based on what? We don’t know what Hafley is looking for in his S exactly. Those other safeties may not have fit what they want to do as well.
you're right. if i had to guess, this is a guy that they plan to use as a nickel in the slot. his strengths are rushing the qb and stopping the run. he's strictly a box safety who is good at making tackles near the line of scrimmage. i was thinking more along the lines of a safety that plays behind the rest of the defense as a last line of defense. those guys are typically faster and taller.

you're right. if i had to guess, this is a guy that they plan to use as a nickel in the slot. his strengths are rushing the qb and stopping the run. he's strictly a box safety who is good at making tackles near the line of scrimmage. i was thinking more along the lines of a safety that plays behind the rest of the defense as a last line of defense. those guys are typically faster and taller.
I don’t really know either. You could be right. Part of what is going to make this offseason interesting is to see how the def will be different

not sure why this is posted in a thread about evan williams.
The question was why was Williams drafted instead of filling another need. The answer is, because they'd already addressed the major needs and you can see it in the depth chart.

on paper, yeah. we literally have no idea how all these new guys are going to work out. don't get me wrong - i'm excited and hopeful about the possibilities.
You're right. We don't. But there's a lot of optimism since he was able to bring in guys that should make a definite upgrade on our roster, at all levels. This is what that draft was all about.

Back