YoHo's Early Draft

YoHoChecko

Reaction score
Season has ended. We're picking 15th

There will be loads of time and threads about various high-profile decisions that need to be made by the team or players, including of course Rodgers, but also big contracts like Bakhtiari, and a decision on Aaron Jones' contract which jumps this year.

Some free agents, too, though not many. Amos, Nixon, Reed, Tonyan, Big Dog

While it's impossible to fully map an offseason blueprint without speculating about them, it's pretty easy to talk draft without doing so. And the SENIOR BOWL is coming right up, so it's time to start paying attention to these guys

Here's what I'm looking for in terms of team needs; obviously can't fill 'em all through the draft, but they're all options to be drafted. This is very early; I need to look, watch, read, much more. But I always like to start with some guys on my radar.

Safety
Whether or not Amos stays or goes, it's time to find someone else for the back end. Amos definitely lost a step this year; Savage was up and down and all around (including the slot). Ford was a really nice pick-up, if he returns, but could be upgraded still

Guys I like:
  1. Brian Branch This is really a one-safety class in terms of high-value, do-it-all guys. That doesn't mean there aren't any other options for role players or developing players, but Branch, projected to be picked right around 15th, is the guy to come in and contribute right away
  • J'Yair Brown (Penn St) and Chris Smith (UGA) are nice 3rdish round options who can play a role early and develop into starting caliber players
  • Brandon Joseph (Notre Dame) might be an under-the-radar guy who's a jack of all trades, master of none. Maybe an Amos-type (4th rounder initially) who is just assignment sure and smart with good instincts
Tight End

Tonyan and Lewis are free agents. Deguara is just a role player. Tyler Davis looked lost on offense in the preseason. The developmental guy on the PS they just signed is a flier. The position could be empty

1. Darnell Washington: I am obsessed with the notion of this guy joining the team, though his draft stock may be no-man's land for us (late first, early 2nd). If he's there with our second round pick, I run to the podium. He's got Big Dog size and is a blocker for UGA, but he also has Big Dog athleticism--from when he was drafted. His receiving game will need development, but all TEs need development. The upside is outstanding. I can't even imagine what could happen if he spends a year as Lewis' understudy and internalizes that type of mentality and then blossoms into a much much bigger receiving threat over the course of his rookie contract
  • Michael Mayer: Obviously we have to talk about TE1 in the draft class. He's an all-around type like Hockenson was, but not quite as good at blocking as a rookie. He's expected to be drafted around the middle of round 1, so we're in range and we have a need. I was a HUGE Hockenson fan, but this guy is lacking that edge that had me excited. He seems safe, but not special
  • The class is deeeeeep so if we miss out early, there are a ton of options, and it's hard to know how they'll stack in terms of draft order and draft stock. Luke Musgrave (yes, the coach's son) is a really good all around option as a Tonyan replacement, but after missing most of the year with injury, he could be a 2nd rounder (too rich) or a 5th rounder (outstanding value). Sam LaPorta (Iowa) is kind of similar, but a step down for me
  • I am all the way out on Dalton Kincaid. He's like 25 and still has major development in terms of blocking and strength
Offensive Line
Face it: when push came to shove this year, we got no push. Josh Myers is starter-quality, but certainly a disappointment. Jenkins is locked in for a while and seems better at LG than any other position (though Isaiah Buggs ate his lunch last weekend). We can keep Nijman on a tender one more year, and Tom should get much better as he adds strength, but... I'm really looking for a RT with some fire who could be shifted inside to OG in the event that Caleb Jones or Rasheed Walker actually develop. And then a back-up plan for Myers. He might just not be it. I liked the idea of a big center who has strength and guard size, but he's not executing. The good thing about Cs with guard size is they provide interior depth at multiple positions (I remember Hanson; but yeah)
  1. Cody Mauch is my current top choice for "firey RT who could possibly play G if we don't need him outside. He's a finisher. He has Green Bay lineman hair. He's talented enough. He's another NDSU guy so we have those championship bloodlines. He's projected to go somewhere around our second pick, so I now have a conflict of interest between Darnell Washington and Mauch. Given the hoice, it's Washington for me. But this is a name to watch
  • Broderick Jones (Georgia) and Dawan Jones (Ohio St) might be options in round one (D. Jones more of a second rounder to me, but who knows). Dawan is huge, Broderick is more technically sound. They have both had good college careers, though Broderick is safer and Dawan is more projection. I didn't include Paris Johnson here, who is also a round one option and is Dawan's more refined teammate, because 1) I think he's OT2 and off the board before we pick and 2, I just don't love him. He got abused by Georgia's freshman backup EDGE in the playoff game and while that guy is likely a 2025 first-round pick.... meh
  • As always my ideal for the OL position is to mine the middle rounds for athletic outliers and I won't really have a handle on that until measurables start coming in. But expect a LOT more names at this position
  • Steve Avila (TCU) might be a good guard-sized C option in the mid rounds; I hold it against you less if you're abused by Georgia defenders who are going to go top 3 overall in THIS draft and if you're projected to go in the mid-rounds, not round one.
EDGE
  1. BJ Ojalari, Nolan Smith, and Dylan Horton are all very talented, second-round edge players with high motors. I would flip for any of the three. Horton MIGHT even last until round 3. Smith is a bit undersized weight-wise, but is actually the best run defender of this group, so I'll allow it. I should probably include Hamilton from Ohio St in this RANGE, but I need to know more about why his intense talent and skills didn't translate to production. That's not necessarily bad (Gary), but it might be.
  • This is another deep position, so I'm focusing a bit more outside of round one, but also because 15th is a weird spot for this year's edge class. Myles Murphy is probably gone, I have questions about Tyree Wilson, who is also probably gone but shouldn't be, and it's too rich for my blood for Luke Van Ness. Jared Verse was a big target for me until he decided to go back to school
  • I genuinely could have included twice as many names for those second round edge players, so I just highlighted my favorites (bold, you see), but it does make me hopeful that some quality edge talent slips into round 3. Doubtful, but hopeful
Wide Receiver
Christian Watson and Romeo Doubs will be a nice core to the corps, if you will. Hopefully we keep (or add) at least one veteran around to keep the learning and development going. But we could use a third option--maybe a dynamic slot (though I'm not going small) or maybe someone good enough to push Doubs into the slot. Preferably someone who can line up anywhere
  • Xavier Hutchinson and Andrei Iosivas are two guys I can't help but gravitate toward. They're both playing at the Senior Bowl I think, so this could change. Hutchinson is a prototype WR, can line up wherever, has good size, gives good blocking effort, is fast enough. He may lack a single elite trait to push him into day one, so he's looking more around a mid-to-late second round choice. He's a guy who may rise in the process if he runs well, because he does everything pretty darn well. Iosivas is almost definitely going to rise. He's baby Watson. Raw, lower level of competition, 6'3" and elite track speed. He's projected around the 4th/5th, but will almost certainly rise. The way our offense relies on the threat of Watson, I want to develop another. Both guys are over 200 pounds and both guys have a physical element to their game. They would fit in perfectly
  • Jaxon Smith-Njigba is someone I can't nail down. On one hand, he could be the dynamic slot weapon I want. On the other, he might go in the first round after a full year of being hampered and mostly completely out with a hamstring injury. On the third, also bad hand, all the write-ups say he lacks a second gear and really elite speed. But, like, I watched him play in 2021 and he was amazing. I wanted him so badly. I'll have to keep processing these emotions to figure it out. The last thing I want is another guy who felt like a dynamic slot, but is actually just a mediocre athlete with perfect college usage.

• Jaxon Smith-Njigba is someone I can't nail down. On one hand, he could be the dynamic slot weapon I want. On the other, he might go in the first round after a full year of being hampered and mostly completely out with a hamstring injury. On the third, also bad hand, all the write-ups say he lacks a second gear and really elite speed. But, like, I watched him play in 2021 and he was amazing. I wanted him so badly. I'll have to keep processing these emotions to figure it out. The last thing I want is another guy who felt like a dynamic slot, but is actually just a mediocre athlete with perfect college usage.
What I like about this guy is that I don't think GB has had a route runner like this since Greg Jennings. Adams was devastating off the line, but Jennings was great at the top of his routes, which I think has been a low key, rarely spoken but persistent weak point for GB receivers for really the past 10 years. It's the skillset that separates the Justin Jeffersons and Stefan Diggs' from the rest of the league. Not saying he's in their class but I would take that separation ability over pure speed, especially considering they already have Watson.

Packers need another Richard Rodgers at TE. A TE so slow no one ever covers him so people are shocked when a play breaks down and 5 seconds later he's 10 yards down field to catch the pass for a 1st down. :)

Packers need another Richard Rodgers at TE. A TE so slow no one ever covers him so people are shocked when a play breaks down and 5 seconds later he's 10 yards down field to catch the pass for a 1st down. :)
He may have been the laziest route runner I've seen in a GB uniform. Also one of the few guys drafted in the modern era for whom the networks did not have player highlights available when his name was called.

I have no clue what a good TE prospect looks like. I think it's one of the hardest positions to scout, because all the best guys seem to be 3rd round or later, which means every team is passing on them at least twice. Travis Kelce went in round 3, one of his weaknesses was "doesn't work well at the top of his routes" = wrong! George Kittle, round 5 - "H-back type only, backup or ST player" - wrong! Mark Andrews, round 3 - "lacks ability to separate in man coverage" - wrong!

He may have been the laziest route runner I've seen in a GB uniform. Also one of the few guys drafted in the modern era for whom the networks did not have player highlights available when his name was called.

I have no clue what a good TE prospect looks like. I think it's one of the hardest positions to scout, because all the best guys seem to be 3rd round or later, which means every team is passing on them at least twice. Travis Kelce went in round 3, one of his weaknesses was "doesn't work well at the top of his routes" = wrong! George Kittle, round 5 - "H-back type only, backup or ST player" - wrong! Mark Andrews, round 3 - "lacks ability to separate in man coverage" - wrong!
Packers love to take TE round 3 when in reality they all should have been round 7 or UDFA.

Great stuff YoHo! Several of these positions will be tough to figure out. Hopefully the QB position is settled by the draft.

I have no clue what a good TE prospect looks like. I think it's one of the hardest positions to scout, because all the best guys seem to be 3rd round or later, which means every team is passing on them at least twice.

May I refer you to our resident Draft Gurus for some help!?!?? I hear they are very knowledgeable... rofl(

I'm combing the internet for Senior Bowl practice takes and there are tons of different observations from different places, but I like to look out for consensus guys who impress and a few names seem to be popping up from lots of different sources:

CB Julius Brents from K State: big corner who was smooth and not grabby
RB Tajae Spears is getting love from every single source I've checked
DT Keeanu Benton from Wisconsin was near consensus best DT down there
OT Darnell Wright is getting first round buzz
OC John Micaheal Schmitz has the best iOL reports
WR Puka Nakua got more consistent love than most WRs (aside from the micro-sized guy from Houston, Nathaniel Dell)

Some other positives mentioned multiple places:
- OT James' size (but we knew that; podcasters are OBSESSED with talking, at length, about how large he is)
- WR Andre Iosivas' size/speed combination (but we knew that)
- WR Michael Wilson's route running, in a surprise to many (Stanford, injury history)
- Luke Musgrave maybe meeting the absurd hype, but not mentioned often, so maybe not
- RB Roschon Johnson solid all-around back mentioned by most to varying degrees
- Tyrique Stevenson, CB from Miami, got a couple compliments. I think the guy should move to safety due to some hip tightness, but apparently he's delaying that with good play this week.
- EDGE Will McIntire was the only guy that really got mentioned. He apparently looked quite good, but there are still concerns about his measuring only 240
- Karl Brooks, a guy who was a 300+pound edge rusher in college, got some love for his upside as a 3-tech moving inside for the week. I love that kid, if he's in the mid-rounds

Some potential negatives:
- WR Rice got very mixed reviews. Some just said he didn't do anything. Other said he looked good while not doing anything but the QBs weren't of any help. Others said his inability to do anything is further proof he struggles to separate.
- Some BYU OT got mentioned in multiple places as a guy who's falling this week. I forget his name. Blake Freeland? Something like that. Zach Braveman. Kyle Liberty. Cody America.
- Mauch was said to struggle with his move to OG; might be underpowered to anchor against interior DL, but again reviews were mixed.
- Andre Carter is gonna fall. Thin, not strong, didn't even beat the slower guys, which should have given him an advantage

Back