10 NFL Veterans Who Could Be Cut Before Week 1 (Is there a Packer on this list?)

TundraJoe

Reaction score
http://www.12up.com/posts/5318803-10-nfl-veterans-who-could-be-cut-before-week-1?a_aid=36476

For most of the players in the NFL, it is a struggle to make the team just about every year. Obviously, the media focuses on the starters of each NFL team, but that only accounts for 22 out of the 53 players that make the roster at the end of the day. As training camp gets underway, coaches will give a hard look at their teams and will be forced to make decisions on who to cut and who to keep. As younger talent enters these training camps, it makes it harder for the older veterans to secure a spot on the team, ultimately putting their career in jeopardy.

10. Brandon Boykin, Ravens

Brandon Boykin may have just signed a contract this offseason with the Ravens, but that doesn't mean he is immune to being cut. When Boykin signed with the team, he knew he role would be limited, but as the offseason has progressed, his chances of making the roster have become slimmer.

What makes Boykin a target for being cut is that his contract is very cheap. If the Ravens were to cut him, the team wouldn't really lose that much money (in fact his contract allows for zero dollars in dead cap). Boykin isn't even a second-string cornerback for the Ravens at the moment. Brandon Boykin has a slim chance of staying in Baltimore if you put all the factors together.

9. Kyle Fuller, Bears

Injuries will be the main reason that Kyle Fuller gets cut. After a promising first two years in the league, Fuller injured his knee, causing him to be out for the entire 2016-2017 season. Automatically at a disadvantage coming into this season with the Bears, the team also signed multiple corners this offseason. These new cornerbacks include Quintin Demps, Prince Amukamara, and Marcus Cooper. All of those players will give Fuller a run for his money, ultimately leading to his eventual exit into NFL free agency.

8. Adam Jones, Bengals

Already suspended for the first game of the season, Adam Jones is bad news. Jones is notorious for his off-field behavior, earning himself a suspension for the whole 2007 season among other suspensions. Jones' demeanor is not worth the Bengals keeping him, even if he is a projected starter for the team. The Bengals have many options to replace Jones at cornerback, making cutting the former All-Pro a no-brainer.

7. Brock Osweiler, Browns

The Browns traded for Brock Osweiler in one of the most surprising moves of the offseason. But, his time in Cleveland may be short lived because if Osweiler doesn't earn the starting spot on the Browns, he is useless. With a large contract, Osweiler would be paid too handsomely to be a backup quarterback. If either Cody Kessler or DeShone Kizer end up beating him in the race for starting quarterback before the season starts, Brock Osweiler will be forced to find a home somewhere else.

6. Jeff Janis, Packers

Jeff Janis is most notable for his Hail Mary catch against the Cardinals during the playoffs that sent the suspenseful Packers-Cardinals game into overtime (the Packers ended up losing that game). Janis' playing time mostly comes during special teams and rare offensive occasions. On top of that, the Packers have lots of competition this year at receiver and Janis might not be able to handle it. If Janis has any chance at all of making the team, it will only be on special teams.

5. Barkevious Mingo, Colts

The Cleveland Browns decided to draft Barkevious Mingo with the sixth pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, and ever since then Mingo has been a bust. He might have won a Super Bowl with the Patriots last year, but his role was primarily as a backup. After one year with the Patriots, he moved on and signed with the Indianapolis Colts. Immediately, Mingo was slotted in to serve as a second-string outside linebacker. Since then, he fell even further down the depth chart to be the third or even fourth-string outside linebacker thanks to the draft. Mingo's career is numbered at this point.

4. C.J. Spiller, Chiefs

Oh how far we've come since the C.J. Spiller glory days. The former star for the Buffalo Bills is now consistently searching for a job every season, and his newest stop is Kansas City. The Chiefs already have two established running backs in Spencer Ware and Charcandrick West, putting Spiller at major odds of making the roster. The team also drafted Kareem Hunt, which officially puts Spiller on the chopping block and soon on his way out.

3. Michael Floyd, Vikings

Just like fellow veteran Adam Jones, Michael Floyd has had some major problems off the field. Floyd is suspended for the first four games of the NFL season for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy.

Besides being in a crowded competition at receiver for the Vikings, the main reason Floyd will be cut is because he can't seem to get on the right track.

2. Geno Smith, Giants

Geno Smith was a promising prospect out of West Virginia University, but his career with the Jets never panned out. Although Smith didn't move too far when he signed with Jets' hometown rival, the New York Giants.

Smith would have to beat out rookie Davis Webb in order to secure a roster spot and that is simply just not happening. Rookies always have more of a chance to make rosters than veterans as teams are interested in younger players' potential.
1. Ryan Mathews, Eagles

If Ryan Mathews isn't traded, he is bound to be cut. The Philadelphia Eagles signed LeGarrette Blount this offseason as well as drafted Donnel Pumphrey. Pumphrey and Blount already add to a running back core that has Darren Sproles and Wendell Smallwood. Mathews has been at odds with the Eagles for a while and has consistently been part of trade and cut rumors. For the Philadelphia Eagles, Ryan Mathews has officially become expendable.

I don't know if I buy it but on a couple of other Packers' forums I visit some say Rich Rod might not make the final 53 because we signed Bennett and Kendricks.

I don't know if I buy it but on a couple of other Packers' forums I visit some say Rich Rod might not make the final 53 because we signed Bennett and Kendricks.

It wouldn't be a shock, but I don't expect it to happen. Rodgers might not be a typical #3 TE, there is no standout feature to him, but he is reliable in what he is capable of doing, even if limited. Peck or Sandland will have to show intriguing promise to knock Rodgers off the team. More than likely one of them will be kept on the practice squad instead.

A guy I think could be in trouble is Joe Thomas. Burnett and Jones could make him an afterthought as the smaller, faster mlb. Especially Jones; taller, much faster and not much lighter. Rumor is that Thomas is important to STs, but he seems like the type who is replaceable there, too. If Burnett and Jones pan out in their new roles, Thomas might not have much value on the team.

I would not mind seeing Fuller in Green Bay. If they really cut him he would be a nice addition. He was a solid CB his first 2 seasons prior to his knee injury. There was discussion about him having the 'heart' since he was medically cleared to play but apparently chose not to late last year.

On that same token, Jake Ryan might be another. The days of the run plugging LB who can't cover are limited. TEs have killed the Packers for many years now. Martinez looked better when healthy and CM3 will be shifting to the middle sometimes to save his body.

Not sure how guys like Janis and Geno Smith make the list like this...Smith lost his starting job 2 seasons ago and Janis was never a starter. Sure, they're veterans, but of the pretty fungible variety so them getting cut isn't making any front pages. Writer didn't exactly go out on a limb here!

I think the speculation on Richard Rodgers is important, to Rodgers. The Packers brought in TEs, and they even signed a FA TE a few days ago. They're creating a major competition for that #3 spot on the roster, and possibly a young player who can be stashed on the practice squad. Rodgers certainly isn't a shoe-in to win that #3 job.

The same applies at WR. Janis might be in trouble because he hasn't made that big jump they look for out of players they label as having "potential." It might be that they will look to a younger player who costs less, and has what they consider more potential to advance through their ranks than what Janis offers.

I believe this may be one of the most competitive off-seasons the Packers have had in a long time. There are fewer guys that can count on being around when the season starts, than usual. That doesn't mean they'll make more changes, just saying it's more competitive, and the fact that they don't have cut downs during preseason makes it even more difficult to judge who might not make the final cut before the season starts.

I believe this may be one of the most competitive off-seasons the Packers have had in a long time. There are fewer guys that can count on being around when the season starts, than usual. That doesn't mean they'll make more changes, just saying it's more competitive, and the fact that they don't have cut downs during preseason makes it even more difficult to judge who might not make the final cut before the season starts.

by my count, there are 44 players competing for seven open spots. most of those 44 players are actually competing for a spot on the practice squad.

edit: actually, since they cut guion and haven't brought in another body, there's only 43 players competing for seven spots.

Right now Rodgers being on a rookie contract and being in the offense for a few years now I think he's worth keeping over anything they have in camp as a 3rd TE. Put a guy you like in TC on the PS let him develop and have him make the team next year.

Not sure how guys like Janis and Geno Smith make the list like this...Smith lost his starting job 2 seasons ago and Janis was never a starter. Sure, they're veterans, but of the pretty fungible variety so them getting cut isn't making any front pages. Writer didn't exactly go out on a limb here!

I agree, it was a stupid article. None of these guys are huge surprises.

Back