2016/17 Season Are You Optimistic ?

ReasonablySober

Reaction score
I'm not.

Traditionally, I have defended Ted's way of doing business, but I am oddly down on the upcoming version of the team after this opening flurry of free agent signings by other teams. It means we are left with, once again, the hope that some team will cut some player whose career can be revived in Green Bay (Bretsky is hoping for Martellus Bennett and after listening to his arguments I now agree with him), and then the draft.

Somehow, the big announcements that the Packers re-upped Lane Taylor and Justin Perillo just depressed the hell out of me.

We have a QB who had a really pretty mediocre year and to my mind did not lead this team at all. We have a star receiver on the wrong side of 30 coming back from a major injury. We have a tight end who is Bubba Franks version -2.0, a running back who wasn't professional enough to get and stay in shape for football, and a defense that was okay but not good enough to shut the door when it counted most.

This team cannot be favored to win the division, nor should it be. It's a team that looks a little shaky to me.

Somehow, for me, Rodgers's seemingly crappy attitude last year is my overwhelming takeaway from last year. He seemed pissy nearly all the time, and that's got to pollute the well, if his attitude really was reflected in his body language.

This is a team that has a lot to prove. And now we're back to the usual hopes - draft and develop, a surprising rookie contribution, and second and third year guys making miraculous strides.

Call me a downer just the way I feel right now.

It's way early for me yet, but I wouldn't lay down money one way or another. If MM and his staff continue to try the same old song and dance and we look sluggish in pre season I'll be worried as crap.

Can you grab some rookies and stay healthy and then make a run ? Sure we can but we can also play a 5 game pre season and come into Game 1 tired and beat up and look crappy as well.

I think our overall health at week 8 and where our bye is will prove to be key. Good topic to relieve the stress though. hof(

It's way too early, I think I will wait before stepping off the ledge.

That said, I was down on Rodgers all year. I thought he contributed to making a bad situation even worse by performing rather poorly (for him). Then, if he really did have the attitude some suggested, that he made it clear he did not feel some on the roster were "ready" yet to play with him, well....... However, after learning of his knee cleanup just days after the season ended I will take a wait and see attitude with respect to his performance.

I'm cautiously optimistic. The injuries mounted everywhere, two of the most important players on the team crashed to earth, and the rookies played well.

If Rodgers and Lacy bounce back it'll do a lot to help the offense, which truly was the weakest part of the team last season. Plus with dedicated position coaches again (what a concept) one would assume both WRs and TEs will bounce back as well.

Is the window closing? Yes. Is it closed? No.
Last year was an abberation. Injuries at wr and OL. Bad year by 12 and 27. Are there holes yes. But there is not a dominate team in the conference let alone one in the division if I took a a guess now it's an 11-5 team but that's the way early guess.

Am I bummed we didn't get the UFA ILB and TE we all wanted? Yes.

Am I optimistic about the season? Yes.

I can be both.

Even if we didn't add any insta-starters in the draft, I'd have what I consider valid reasons to be optimistic.

It's reasonable to hope Arod bounces back to his GOAT self after getting his knee fixed. And has better weapons in Nelson and Monty, plus in several others who have potential to contribute. And that Lacy shapes up in a contract year. RRod could improve somewhat, enough get by with. Oline is great when healthy. Point will be scored aplenty.

The D improved a lot last season, and the only meaningful player who we may miss is Raji (could still re-sign). Pass rush should be fine, secondary could be great. Ryan was a 4th round rookie, he should improve. Barrington's back to support the run. Thomas was actually an OK coverage backer in his 1st season playing it.

STs clearly improved as well, despite Masthay's struggles. We have some young key guys in coverage. Returns are fine.

It's reasonable to expect some help and depth from the 9 draft picks (6 in top 4 rounds). There are still FAs on the street. But it's already a good roster.

Even if we ended up with relative weaknesses at TE and ILB, improvement from elsewhere can pick up the slack at arguably lesser valued positions on O and D. And it's not yet guaranteed those spots will be weaknesses. A lot can happen.

As always, winning it all takes injury luck, some breaks and some players exceeding expectations. The realist me also sees the potential downfalls. But this thread asked if I'm optimistic. I am. And have reasons.

Last edited:
I wouldn't call myself optimistic or pessimistic. The Packers pretty much are what they are at this point under Ted and Mike, and that's a pretty good football team. I anticipate them challenging for the playoffs/division, then it's one and done again, or perhaps a second round loss. They are not a SB winning team IMHO.

I'm optimistic. I think a lot of the dysfunction was caused by MM making big changes in the delegation of responsibilities on the offensive coaching staff. That has been addressed, and MM has said he will have more control of the offense than he's had in a while. That's a good thing. The injuries weren't just Jordy. 4 WR's, including Jordy missed a total of 36 games. I expect Lacy to now be serious about being in decent shape, now that he's seen what being out of shape did to him.

With all that went wrong last year, this team was 1 Sam Shields "shouda been a pick 6" from being in the NFC Title Game. By the time the season starts, this team will be the favorite to win the NFCN, and they should be.

With all that went wrong last year, this team was 1 Sam Shields "shouda been a pick 6" from being in the NFC Title Game. By the time the season starts, this team will be the favorite to win the NFCN, and they should be.
I really think we are in as good a shape as anyone in the NFC.
I've really never understood the angst folks have with ARod's leadership. I watched him 'will' his overmatched team down the field in Arizona and tie the game against ALL odds. I think he's entering a different phase of his career where he is not as concerned about stats (like maybe he was in previous years) as about winning. A 235 lb RB will make a difference also.
TTs got nine picks to find help, 6 of which will be asked to provide significant depth. After the 1970s and 80s I can't help but be optimistic heading in to next season. I wear my green and gold everyday up here in the purple world of fallen dreams.

I wouldn't call myself optimistic or pessimistic. The Packers pretty much are what they are at this point under Ted and Mike, and that's a pretty good football team. I anticipate them challenging for the playoffs/division, then it's one and done again, or perhaps a second round loss. They are not a SB winning team IMHO.
Agree I am sorry it's been 5 years since our last SB, it's time to get serious with this thing before Aaron is old and grey.

Back