2021 Off Season Thread

sadly, even though your guesses are what they should do, i think all you have to do is look at last year's draft to see the difference between what they should do and what they actually do are two completely different things. i would not be at all shocked to see the packers use top draft picks for players that will never see the field in 2021.
while I was not a fan of the Love pick, just some perspective on rounds 2 and 3

Dillion - While I liked Akers better he was not available there so there's that. I think he makes more of an impact if he was not on the COVID list which impacted his season and you cant predict that at draft time. Who else was available there that made sense? Not sure I see one.

Deguara - He went to IR, again cant predict that

Not to beat a dead horse but the trade up is whnt made the draft a disaster, Love compound the issue. You can make the case that Higgins was a better pick at 29 and thats valid, he was my choice but lets also remember that Higgins cant rush a passer, defend on the boundary and play man coverage or tackle in space.

Packers FO is questionable. You see other teams that win but yet they figure ways to handle the cap ala KC. You have to question how good Russ Ball is or maybe it's time to stop this outdated BS the team needs to pay all guaranteed money in a signing bonus or make sure that we pay everything in the first two years so we can get out of the contract easy.
No the departments of pro and college scouting are the main issue and its not even close. As to contracts its been an organizational philosophy, cash = cap, not so much on how the guarantee money is paid out. The only other team that "figured it out " is Tampa and like it or not their QB does not tie up significant cap space and allows them flexibility

while I was not a fan of the Love pick, just some perspective on rounds 2 and 3

Dillion - While I liked Akers better he was not available there so there's that. I think he makes more of an impact if he was not on the COVID list which impacted his season and you cant predict that at draft time. Who else was available there that made sense? Not sure I see one.

Deguara - He went to IR, again cant predict that

Not to beat a dead horse but the trade up is whnt made the draft a disaster, Love compound the issue. You can make the case that Higgins was a better pick at 29 and thats valid, he was my choice but lets also remember that Higgins cant rush a passer, defend on the boundary and play man coverage or tackle in space.
The Deguara pick was a pick that seemed ML wants his own Kyle Juszcyzk and a 3rd round pick seems high to chase after that.

The Deguara pick was a pick that seemed ML wants his own Kyle Juszcyzk and a 3rd round pick seems high to chase after that.
That’s all fine but he was on IR. We don’t know. Could he have contributed? Maybe

Gute's drafting has been the opposite of TT's and Wolf's. His 1st round picks have actually been pretty good - Alexander, Gary, Savage all can play (Love is obviously something different that will remain to be seen). The lack of production outside the first has been killer though, and some of that has to do with the trade ups in the first. Jenkins is a stud from the 2nd but otherwise the 2nd-4th round have killed them, and that's where good teams build up the roster.

Gute's drafting has been the opposite of TT's and Wolf's. His 1st round picks have actually been pretty good - Alexander, Gary, Savage all can play (Love is obviously something different that will remain to be seen). The lack of production outside the first has been killer though, and some of that has to do with the trade ups in the first. Jenkins is a stud from the 2nd but otherwise the 2nd-4th round have killed them, and that's where good teams build up the roster.
which gets me back to player evaluation which is bigger than Gute.

Maybe, but his call is the final one, he owns the board. Comes with the job.
And that’s fair. But when you look back to Wolf and Thompson they clearly had better folks when evaluation was happening. Now if this group is not up to stuff, it’s his job to fix it also

When finding out per average he is not the highest paid OL anymore by 10K a year.

Back