2023 Badger Football Thread

UW QB Myles Burkett has entered the transfer porta
Not unexpected deeep QB room and he had no future to start. I expect at least 1 more if not 2 if UW gets a QB in portal.

Bucky needs more guys who don't have hands like Keg Man - otherwise it won't matter who's throwing the ball.

• Haha
Reactions: TW
And, this portal thing. We're going to have to learn to live with it. How many guys are in our Quarterback Room? 5? 1 guy plays. 4 don't. All 5 think they are the guy or they wouldn't be there. We are going to lose guys. I'd rather see them leave after Spring if they don't get the shot, but it's just not that big of a deal.

We need some good offensive linemen to come in as recruits or through the portal, some running backs, some guys that can catch, and most importantly some guys that play 100% for 60 minutes and inspire others to match them. If we get a shot at a much better than average Quarterback - not just somebody who started somewhere - we should grab him.

Will he join the golden homers?

Notre Dame could be a possible destination for Leonard, a source told ESPN. The Irish took in Wake Forest quarterback Sam Hartman prior to this season, but Hartman's eligibility has run out and Notre Dame will be looking for a new starting quarterback for the 2024 season.

I think the rent-a-QB is okay, on a stop gap basis, but to win a championship, I think it's more likely with a QB who's groomed into the system, to make it work. Of course that won't always be the case, but a lot more prevalent.

At this point, I have no idea who will be the Badgers starting QB next year. We won't know until the season starts. The surprise candidate might be Mettauer, if he can learn the system, and get up to speed.

No matter what, it's going to be an interesting ride, watching the new guy take the reins, with the addition of WRs with hands, and essentially a new stable of running backs.

It will be worth watching that QB battle for the next 9 months. If they get a portal guy it will be even more interesting.

Locke has the most experience in the scheme, going back to HS. The thing with him is that he has almost no "plus" physical tools. To me he's a perfect #2 QB. He can come into a game and he can run the offense. You don't have to dumb things down for him.

Evers is the guy you'd love to see playing from a raw talent perspective, but to this point he hasn't grasped the offense. Don't know enough about LaCrue's situation to know if he factors in or not next year.

Mettauer would be a wild-card. He's enrolling early so will be around for spring ball. That gives him a fighting chance, but still seems like a long-shot to start. It's such a relative rarity for a true freshman to start at QB.

I think all of those factors would make the Badgers a desirable destination for a portal QB. It'll be interesting to see how the staff feels about the position. As others have said, another portal QB could alienate some of the guys already on the roster, but maybe the staff isn't enamored enough with the group to worry about losing another one, or two.

It will be worth watching that QB battle for the next 9 months. If they get a portal guy it will be even more interesting.

Locke has the most experience in the scheme, going back to HS. The thing with him is that he has almost no "plus" physical tools. To me he's a perfect #2 QB. He can come into a game and he can run the offense. You don't have to dumb things down for him.

Evers is the guy you'd love to see playing from a raw talent perspective, but to this point he hasn't grasped the offense. Don't know enough about LaCrue's situation to know if he factors in or not next year.

Mettauer would be a wild-card. He's enrolling early so will be around for spring ball. That gives him a fighting chance, but still seems like a long-shot to start. It's such a relative rarity for a true freshman to start at QB.

I think all of those factors would make the Badgers a desirable destination for a portal QB. It'll be interesting to see how the staff feels about the position. As others have said, another portal QB could alienate some of the guys already on the roster, but maybe the staff isn't enamored enough with the group to worry about losing another one, or two.
I have a hunch LaCrue is going to stick around one more year, at most, then hit the portal. I don't see any future for him at QB to be honest. Not that he's not talented, but these kids from the South are so much more advanced than someone playing up North in a system like the state of Wisconsin. It's tough for them to compete.

I agree that spring practice is going to be a dog fight. That's probably when LaCrue pulls the plug, I believe. He won't wait, if he finds himself somewhere down the line like #4.

Another interesting battle could be RB. I wonder if Chez is coming back to be honest. He could end up healing, and ending his football career, or move on, somewhere else, where he can put up some decent numbers for a year. It's hard to say. With Dillin Jones, Darrion DuPree, and Gideon Ituka coming on board, as well as having Nate White, Cade Yacamelli, Jackson Acker, and a couple of lesser known guys from in-state, it's a loaded room. Even amongst that group, I see some early portal exits. In fact, after our bowl game, if Acker or Yacamelli have good games, one or both could opt out for greener pastures.

This is going to be a very interesting year ahead.

Agree that LaCrue could transfer. He wasn't really recruited by Fickell and isn't a Wisconsin kid. Being from Colorado he may well want to try catching on with a team closer to home. He had offers from Colorado, Northern Colorado, and South Dakota at one point so maybe one of those teams is still interested. Although with Burkett moving on already, maybe LaCrue will see how things play out in the fall before hitting the portal.

RB will also be interesting. Lots of high level talent coming in. Some talk that Ituka has the most college ready body and might be most able to contribute right away. I could easily see Yacamelli moving on. He was recruited by Chryst as a safety, not a RB. He's a Pennsylvania kid, so has no Wisconsin ties. Acker on the other hand is a Madison kid and may not find better options in the portal because many teams may still regard him as a FB which is what he was recruited to do. He may not have much in the way of NFL aspirations so may well be fine playing a minor role and getting his degree with the "home" team.

Back