2023 Packers Training Camp Update: August 14th

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
Injuries: CB Eric Stokes (PUP-Knee/Foot), TE Tyler Davis (ACL)

Not Practicing / Limited: OL David Bakhtiari (Rest), EDGE Rashan Gary (Knee), RB Lew Nichols (Shoulder), RB Tyler Goodson (Shoulder), OL Caleb Jones (Ankle), OT Luke Tenuta (Ankle), Tariq Carpenter (Back), DL Kenny Clark (Back)

Offense:

• Looks like No Bakh again today. Nijman back at LT, followed by Jenkins, Myers, Runyan, and Tom.
  • Then Tom moved to LG and Walker came in at RT. LaFleur said beforehand that Walker has performed well.
  • Nice body control from rookie Tucker Kraft in 1v1. Ran an out route against Jonathan Owens. Pass was behind Kraft, but he spun in air and caught it over Owens. Athletic play for a big tight end.
  • Musgrave beats Rudy Ford.
  • Watson sold a deep route and turned it into a stop, using his size to shield Nixon. Complete.
  • Clifford can’t connect with Deguara downfield who had step on Sapp
  • Toure absolutely smokes SJC. What a route and catch. SJC missed jam.
  • Deguara beat Sapp. Incomplete.
  • Doubs with double move v. Douglas down left sideline deep corner complete.
  • Reed smokes Savage
  • Qb and Musgrave not on the same page.
  • Watts with step on Hooper down right sideline. Might have been out of bounds.
  • Allen drops pass. Moore in coverage
  • Chrest complete vs Thomas. Short catch.
  • Incomplete to Heath v. SJC. Not on same page with QB. SJC good coverage.
  • Miller beats Sapp easily.
  • Deguara beats Johnson who was doing a lot of grabbing.
  • Watson beats Nixon on a go ball from Jordan Love down right seam. Watson’s speed blew past Nixon at line.
  • Watts beats Thomas on a slant.
  • Allen beat Owens on an out.
  • Davis beats Owens. Really physical player with that size.
  • Double move from Toure beats T. Ford
  • Deguara beats Leavitt on slant
  • Chrest didn’t come back. Not on same page.
  • Dubose with a great route and deep catch on Valentine. Valentine has been unreal so tip your cap to Dubose on that one.
  • Fantastic toe drag swag from Doubs against Rasul in one on ones. Ref calls it a catch.
  • 11 on 11s upcoming Nijman-Jenkins-Myers-Runyan-Tom
  • Play-action right, rollout left. Defense really bought play action but incomplete. Love fires very high for Reed.
  • Short run by Jones followed by a big time run by Dillon up the middle. Jordan Love’s hard count is legit. Nice running lane for Dillon behind Jenkins and Nijman.
  • Smith beats Musgrave, nice pickup by Deguara to give Love time who finds Watson downfield.
  • Jake Hanson back in team as No 2 center.
  • Love just hit Watson on a deep out for about 30 off play action. Great route and throw. He was wide open by NFL standards.
  • Nice cutback by Taylor to find running lane. McDuffie with the stop.
  • Run to left side by Taylor, minimal gain.
  • McGough at QB (Newman with 3rd OL):
  • And another fumbled exchange. This is insane. Schneider and McGough this time. Averaging about 1 per practice.
  • Grant Dubose contested catch. Thomas with tight coverage.
  • McGough a designed qb run. Not quite fair with a red jersey.
  • Starting offense back on field: Watson deep route clears space for intermediate crosser for Doubs, had him open but Love overthrows .
  • Nice cutback by Jones.
  • Clifford to Wicks on a slant. Slightly high but I’d count that as a drop for Wicks. Nice read by 8.
  • And ANOTHER fumbled exchange. This time Hanson and McGough.
  • Run for a few yards for McCrary
  • Great read and throw from Love to Doubs, but dropped by Romeo.
  • Love to Reed in stride with a nice hands catch by Reed. Jayden has been so impressive. Savage was close by.
  • Love to Musgrave on a crosser. He’s easily open with SJC trailing in coverage. Big guy is a massive matchup problem.
  • Clifford to Dubose short.
  • Clifford to Wilson on the screen with more success against the 2s.
  • Love intermediate out route to Doubs complete.
  • Clifford buys time and finds Kraft running free across the middle. Nice play by the two rookies.
Defense:

• Owens starting again at S.
  • Kenny Clark (back) a new injury at practice. He’s a DNP today.
  • Valentine all over DuBose in 1v1s. Probably a penalty.
  • Thomas with PBU on slant to Melton
  • Owens all over Pearson pbu.
  • Tyrell Ford great coverage on Wicks. Incomplete.
  • PBU for Valentine v. DuBose. Sticky coverage.
  • Moore physical with Kraft. Kraft can’t catch the one handed.
  • 11v11s Van Ness and Wooden with ones. Valentine in for Jaire, Owens at safety.
  • Slaton beats Runyan into backfield on Dillon run.
  • Colby Wooden just exploded for a would be sack on Clifford. Wow.
  • Second units in 11 on 11 (Leavitt and Moore at S, Thomas and SJC at CB):
  • Play action by Clifford, Brooks and Ford into the backfield.
  • Karl Brooks with a run stop followed by a false start on the offense.
  • Miller (now at TE) beat by Cox for would-be sack
  • Justin Hollins explodes in the backfield for a would be tfl. Quay also did a great job getting sideline to sideline on the play.
  • Hollins beats Tom, Slaton gives Runyan a run, run stopped at LOS.
  • Wooden taking Kenny’s place on the line today.
  • Smith gets by Tom, Love moves right finds Dillon in flat. Great hustle by Wyatt for the stop.
  • Love gets defense to jump with hard count. Free play. Brooks jumped. LVN might have had a sack. Love throws deep to Watson. Shemar contests. Almost caught by Watson but incomplete. Nice play by SJC.
  • inside own 5: Walker blitzes, he and Brooks probably get a sack but Love finds Doubs on out route
  • Rudy Ford pbu against Watts on a slant. McGough on the throw.
  • Tyrell Ford pbu against Watts.
Scenario: 12 seconds left. Down 3. Ball at opponent 42.

• Defense protecting sidelines, draw to Jones who picks up 7-8 yards. He kneels to end play early. Offense spikes ball with 2 seconds left.
  • Carlson good from 51. O’Donnell holding. Offense gets the tie.
  • #2’s same scenario: QB draw by Clifford but not enough time to get the spike. Clifford wisely recognizes it and runs the play instead of spiking it. Throws deep but no chance. Defense bats it away. Defense wins.
Special Teams:

• Carlson FG attempts: No good from 33 (O’Donnell holding) Good from 43 (Whelan holding) Good from 44 (O’Donnell)
  • Good from 33 (O’Donnell) No good from 45 (Whelan) Good from 47 (O’Donnell)
  • Some nice reps as fliers by Heath and Thomas.
Media:

Interviews:

LaFleur
Presser:

• LaFleur said Rasheed Walker has been playing really well and they rewarded him with first-team LT reps yesterday.
  • Matt LaFleur very complimentary of Anthony Johnson Jr both on defense and special teams on Friday.

To me sounds like Owens is not having that great of camp. Got smoked in game vs Bengals and here sounds like he got beat a couple times today. I won't be shocked if he's cut at end of camp.

To me sounds like Owens is not having that great of camp. Got smoked in game vs Bengals and here sounds like he got beat a couple times today. I won't be shocked if he's cut at end of camp.
I thought I had been reading people thought he was looking good in camp -

I thought I had been reading people thought he was looking good in camp -
I don’t know what Barry is asking S to do these days, it doesn’t sound like anyone has been a standout (Savage has a few PBUs and an INT). Flip a coin for that other S spot really. The org doesn’t seem inclined to spend a couple million on a rental right now (don’t blame them), maybe they will if the team is winning mid season

Back