Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
General:

• No Pads
Injuries: LB Rashan Gary (PUP-Knee), CB Eric Stokes (PUP-Knee/Foot), WR Grant DuBose (NFI-Back)

Not Practicing / Limited: WR Dontayvion Wicks (concussion)

Offense:

• Nixon got some pass catching reps with the offense in individuals.
  • 1st O: Love | Jones | Watson - Doubs | Musgrave - Kraft | Bakh - EJ - Myers - JRJ - Tom
  • Ok Luke Musgrave just got physical with Kenny Clark and helped open a hole for Jones. That was impressive. Haven’t seen anything like that as a blocker out of 88 yet.
  • Play action fake, Love fires over the middle in stride to a sliding Watson for about 15 yards. Nice throw from Love.
  • Play action again and Love uses his mobility to get outside and hit Toure with a bullet rolling to his left. 2/2 for Love to start.
  • Tyler Davis has been holding up well as a blocker. Going to be a role if he can continue to do that.
  • McGough gets first third team rep, hits Heath on a receiver screen.
  • Really nice little run inside by Lew Nichols. Showed off vision, burst and balance. His best play of camp.
  • Tom again getting reps with 3rd team offense. IOL as a whole creating some nice running lanes today.
  • Offensive line moving some defenders today. Emmanuel Wilson with a burst inside. He’s a big back with a little wiggle. Fun to watch.
  • Love and Myers fumble a snap. The 2nd time that’s happened in camp already.
  • Love on fire to start. 3/3 now after hitting a deep crosser to Jayden Reed for about a 20 yard pickup. Packers picking on Nixon a bit. Good block on the blindside from Yosh Nijman, giving Love time to set his feet. Love had to hoist it over a rushing Lukas Van Ness.
  • Love to Doubs on a slant for a first down. 4/4 on the day now.
  • Love just missed Watson with an overthrow on a deep corner. Watson had a bit of a step. 4/5 on the day now.
  • Love hits a deep out route to Toure. Toure has been really good through the start of camp. 5/6 for Love now.
  • Love finds Dillon in the flat. Picks up some YAC. 6/7 on the day. Love’s decision-making and ability to know where to go with the ball have been fantastic through 3 live practices.
  • Tucker Kraft caught a knee to his quad. He’s walking around the sideline with an ice pack wrapped on it now. Just a little banged up.
  • Nice job by Nichols and left side of OL (Hanson, Rhyan, Newman) selling screen.
  • Yosh Nijman is now at left tackle. David Bakhtiari appears to have dropped out.
  • Short flat to Toure who makes a nice move and picks up some nice yards. 9/11 for Jordan.
  • Dillon with running lane behind Myers/Jenkins.
  • Love and Watson not on the same page. Ball falls harmlessly incomplete over the middle.
  • Next play Love to Doubs on a slant complete but Ford probably could have laid him out in a real game. 11/14.
  • Clifford scrambles to buy time, finds Bonds on sidelines.
  • Solid day for Nichols as ball carrier.
  • Clifford finds Chrest on out route.
  • 2 min drill: Etling at QB | Quick out to Watts. | Scrambles. No where to go with ball. | Quick out to Heath, incomplete. Ball looked just out of reach.
  • 2 min drill. Love at QB Quick pressure from IDL. Throws ball away.
  • Finds Watson over middle.
  • Handoff to Dillon
  • Great route by Toure. Love drops it in there down left sideline for 30+ yards on 3rd and 3. Drop his pass over Rasul Douglas before Darnell Savage could teach the sideline to help. A big-time play from 10.
  • A big gain to Romeo Doubs
  • Nice run by Dillon to left side.
  • 2-minutes drive ended at the 1-yard line with Jordan Love completing a pass to Luke Musgrave at the goal line on 3rd & goal. Looked to me like Musgrave caught it at the line, but the official had him short. A chip-shot field goal for rookie kicker Anders Carlson. The offense wins the drill.
Defense:

• 1st D: Wyatt - Clark - Slaton | Smith - Campbell - Quay - Hollins | Jaire - Rasul | Ford - Savage
  • Nickel Look: Smith-Clark-Slaton-Hollins | Jaire-Nixon-Campbell-Walker-Douglas | Ford-Savage
  • Owens and Moore now at S with second defense.
  • Enagbare “sack” on Etling.
  • Lukas Van Ness getting his first starter reps in camp, alongside Preston Smith.
  • TJ Slaton with a big time time run stuff on Dillon. Looked like a former number 93 engulfing a RB behind the line. Van Ness set a strong edge, forcing Dillon back inside to Slaton.
  • End around to Malik Heath. Really nice play by Ballentine to fight through the blocker and get into the backfield. Enagbare too. Tyler Davis with a couple tough reps blocking.
  • Colby Wooden just beat Sean Rhyan and Emmanuel Wilson for a sack on McGough. Impressive play by Wooden.
  • Holy shit Lukas Van Ness. He just threw Deguara 4 yards into the backfield into Jordan Love’s path. Some real Hercules stuff. Play called dead to save Love from the wrath of an angry god.
  • Moore getting some S first team reps.
  • Incomplete to boundary. Douglas all over Doubs. Tight window for Love.
  • Lining up in the slot, outwide, backfield, being sent in motion. Goodson filling a number of roles.
  • Love complete super short to Watson and Jaire, per usual, all over it. Maybe 1 yard pickup. 7/9 for Love.
  • Nixon back in 11-on-11 at the nickel now.
  • Tight end screen to Musgrave. Slaton read it nicely and is all over it. 8/10 for Love.
  • Wyatt with a pressure; Enagbare cleans up for a “sack”. Great day for Enagbare. Play continued and Love threw complete to Reed who bobbled but caught. 10/13.
  • Shemar Jean Charles breaks up a nice pass from Clifford to watts on a slant. Then Thomas breaks up a pass late to Bonds on next play.
  • Van ness opposite Preston with ones in two minute
  • Quick slant to Watson, Douglas all over it for PBU.
Special Teams:

• Carlson misses all three from 45, 47 and 49. Low snap on the third.
  • Carlson kicking, Whelan holding: No good from 50, Good from 51, No good from 53 rough day.
  • Nixon and Ford the opening gunners on punt team. Gaines and Ballentine had the next reps. Awesome jam by SJC on Gaines.
  • Whelan punting and Reed, Toure, Nixon, Goodson rotating as the return men.
  • Daniel Whelan is bombing some punts right now.
  • Keisean Nixon slipped while returning a punt. Stayed down on the field for a moment while medical staff checked him out, but got back up and walked off on his own. He’s standing on the sideline now. Update: Helmet back on now and he looks ready to go back in.
Media:

Interviews:

LaFleur
Presser:

• Matt LaFleur on releasing Johnathan Garvin: "Unfortunately, sometimes it's time to move on. I understand the timing wasn't great, being his birthday. But you guys know this business never stops."
  • LaFleur on Van Ness: The depth chart right now is not important. Focus on your job, effort, and knowing the details.
  • Matt LaFleur identifies Jordan Love's progress with protections as particularly critical for him. Says most collegiate QBs don't have to handle as much and Love's mastery of that is part of what gives them confidence in him.
  • LaFleur on safety competition: Will be fluid with who's with 1s, etc. Ford, Moore, and Owens will get their chances. Leavitt "absolutely" could factor, too.

Is there an explanation of these missed FGs? Or did he just straight up miss? 0-6, is that correct?

Is there an explanation of these missed FGs? Or did he just straight up miss? 0-6, is that correct?
It was into the wind....no excuse though. One was a shank due to a bad hold. THIS is where you work out the kinks. I watched him for his whole career at Auburn...shocked someone drafted him to be honest.

Impressive catch by Chrest. If he offers a lot of catching skills, and route running, he might have an outside chance. Maybe a practice squad player, who could end up developing? Time will tell.

I wonder how concerned they are with Carlson? It sounds like misses get into his head, and creates havoc. I doubt they'd bring Crosby back. That would make them look foolish. They'd opt for someone else, I'd think.

I'm glad Love had such a good day!

I could have done without the news of Carlson's very bad day.

Loved this:

"Holy shit Lukas Van Ness. He just threw Deguara 4 yards into the backfield into Jordan Love’s path. Some real Hercules stuff. Play called dead to save Love from the wrath of an angry god." lol!

gopackgo

I wonder how concerned they are with Carlson? It sounds like misses get into his head, and creates havoc. I doubt they'd bring Crosby back. That would make them look foolish. They'd opt for someone else, I'd think.
Agree, I thought it was an odd pick anyway, he had some clutch misses in college.

Agree, I thought it was an odd pick anyway, he had some clutch misses in college.
Sometimes I wonder what's going through the heads of those people in the draft room. Don't they realize there's a reason for red flags surrounding players? It's like they hone in on a guy, decide "he's their guy," and forget all the things on that check list they should be doing, to insure he's the right person for the job.

Afterthought...... Then I ask myself if one person is overriding what was common sense offerings by others, and pulling the trigger anyway.

He was an odd pick for sure, especially in the 6th round. Seems like his accuracy was inconsistent throughout his college career. The one thing I do remember reading (besides the torn ACL he suffered, Gutey loves those players with major injury history) is that it sounds like he can kick the ball for a touchback fairly consistently. Maybe GB thinks it will help special teams to just never give the opposing tea a chance to return the ball...

Back