2024 Badger Football Thread

Regardless of what we want to believe, Fickell won't put Van Dyke in the lineup unless he feels he's the guy that can move the team. He's still learning, and that can be put to rest when they hit camp this fall. Being ready for the NFL doesn't necessarily make a person a perfect fit in college.

Mettauer never planned on playing this year. He's going to be a red-shirt. That was pretty much guaranteed coming in. Right now, they're working on his mechanics, and adjustment to the speed of the college game. It should be there after a year doing more observing than anything else. Crue will be #3. Mettauer would move up to #3 if any one of the three goes down.

That said, I doubt Locke would have a problem sitting, because he would know he's a shoe in next year, as a junior, for the job. That is, if Mettauer doesn't show up in spring ball looking like the next Russ Wilson.

I watched both Locke and Mettauer play high school ball, and both of them are darned good. Both are also quite adept at staying on their feet. So, it's going to be interesting seeing where these two take it in another year.

Personally, I would like to see Van Dyke win the job, because of his experience. I think Locke needs to work on his footwork, and release. He's sometimes a tad slow with the release because his feet are moving when they shouldn't be. From the clips I've seen so far from spring ball, he's already improved that area of his game quite a bit. He doesn't tap dance like he did last year. Of course that's practice, and definitely not the same as live action in a game. Sometimes, in games, a person reverts to bad habits because they don't have time to think about mechanics.
So my cousin lives in Miami, his son coaches ball around the area. The highlights I am posting are his first year starting,,, running the same offense Georgia is using now, a pro style passing attack with multi-sets. Sorry TW there is no way based on this he sits behind anyone at UW unless he's injured.

In a move that bolsters their offensive line, Wisconsin football has secured a commitment from Vanderbilt transfer Leyton Nelson. The 6-6, 308-pound lineman, who played under current UW assistant AJ Blazek at Vanderbilt, announced his decision to join the Badgers on Monday. Nelson played in 11 games last season and will reunite with Blazek in Madison. This addition addresses a critical need for the Badgers and brings their scholarship count to 87. Nelson's commitment marks the first transfer portal addition for the Badgers this cycle.
The Nelson File
• Three-star prospect, No. 38 offensive tackle nationally by On3 Consensus rankings
• Played at Boone (Fla.) High School for head coach Andy Johnson
• Chose Vandy over Louisville, SMU, Florida State, Cincinnati, Miami, Rutgers, Penn State, Kentucky, South Carolina and Tennessee

It sounds like he's going to be a great addition! Instant help.

A whole line full of Nelsons - Jack, Barrett, and now Leyton. He should be in the mix on the depth chart right away. They have starters, but are thin at several back-up positions. Nice get!

Wisconsin football post-spring stock report: Which Badgers are on the rise?​

MADISON, Wis. — Wisconsin’s spring football practices are complete, and though the Badgers still have work to do in preparation for next season, plenty was learned over the past five weeks.

Several individuals produced strong springs and put themselves in a much better position to contribute. Let’s take a look at some of the Badgers whose stock is on the rise after spring practices.

Tyler Van Dyke, QB​

Halfway through spring practice, it was difficult to get a read on Wisconsin’s quarterback battle between Van Dyke and Braedyn Locke. Neither had really taken control by stacking together notable performances, and coach Luke Fickell said on multiple occasions that Van Dyke, a Miami transfer, needed to “continue to come out of his shell” as a leader. But Van Dyke appeared to make significant progress in the second half of the spring, even though a starter wasn’t decided. He looked much more comfortable in the offense and led three touchdown drives during the spring scrimmage, completing all 11 passes on those series for more than 135 yards. He also showed great intelligence on when to keep the ball and run, which could be a strength for the offense next season.

“No. 1 thing is consistency,” Fickell said after the team’s final spring practice Thursday. “I think the unique thing we’re starting to see with him is the ability to let him play a little bit more and even run a little bit. Because he is a big, physical kid. And if you really look back into his first year at Miami, he ran a lot more. And he made some plays, he did some things with his feet. Just by nature, that gets you, I think, into the flow of the game. We did that a little bit more in the second half of spring. And I think all that kind of works together with the comfort level of what he’s doing.”

Trech Kekahuna, WR​

There were occasions this spring with Kekahuna on the field when I found myself thinking: “Just get the ball to him in space so we can see what happens.” That’s how entertaining and effective Kekahuna was with his opportunities. Wisconsin fans saw a glimpse of his potential when he caught four passes for 64 yards in the ReliaQuest Bowl against LSU.

He certainly carried that forward in the spring, using his speed and cutting ability to frequently make defenders miss — including one of the plays of the spring when he caught a ball in the left flat and subsequently juked two defensive backs for a big gain. Kekahuna and Will Pauling figure to form a dynamic combination of slot receivers who could even be used at the same time.

Tawee Walker, RB​

Walker’s addition through the transfer portal from Oklahoma in December gave the Badgers eight scholarship running backs for next season and created questions about what his role might be. Was he just an insurance policy in case Chez Mellusi got hurt? Or could he be something more? The answer out of spring is clear because Walker was tremendously impressive.

Not only does he run hard, but he possesses more speed than people might expect from a 222-pound tailback. Wisconsin still has a pair of four-star freshmen coming this summer — Dilin Jones and Darrion Dupree — but there is reason for optimism about Mellusi and Walker as a potential 1-2 combination to help carry the offense next season.

Quincy Burroughs, WR​

Burroughs played more snaps toward the end of last season and finished with four catches for 30 yards. Wisconsin has several options at the outside receiver spots for next season, including Vinny Anthony and CJ Williams to complement Bryson Green. But Burroughs has put himself firmly in the mix with a series of strong practices. He closed out the spring Thursday with an outstanding 34-yard touchdown catch from Locke with a defensive back all over him in the end zone.

“I thought last year it was really more of a confidence thing,” Fickell said. “I think the connection with him and coach (Kenny) Guiton is really a good thing, and I think that’s helped him in a lot of ways to put his best foot forward and grow.”

Joe Brunner, RG​

Brunner probably should have earned more snaps last season but was lost in the shuffle under then-offensive line coach Jack Bicknell Jr. Current O-line coach AJ Blazek said Brunner, who has played just 45 career snaps, looks like a veteran because of how fast and fundamentally sound he plays.

What stands out from watching Brunner is his physicality and versatility. He isn’t afraid to mix it up with the defense in support of his quarterback. He also could be the first option at tackle, as he was during the scrimmage when he slid over to left tackle to replace Jack Nelson.

Jackson McGohan, TE​

McGohan might have started slowly this spring, but he emerged as a legitimate potential pass-catching weapon at the position. He had two nice catches in the spring scrimmage: one that went for about 30 yards down the left sideline and another when he reached for a pass thrown behind him over the middle and still hauled it in.

McGohan, an LSU transfer, was a four-star tight end out of high school. Offensive coordinator Phil Longo said he can see McGohan being used in a group of three tight ends that also features returning players Riley Nowakowski and Tucker Ashcraft.

Max Lofy, CB​

Defensive coordinator Mike Tressel said he knew “zero” about Lofy before spring practices began because Lofy missed all of last season with an ankle injury in the first year of a new coaching staff. But a healthy Lofy has given Wisconsin a viable starting option in the slot, depending on what the Badgers do with safety Austin Brown. Lofy earned the bulk of the first-team reps this spring after Brown moved from the slot back to safety following an injury to Kamo’i Latu. Lofy, who played 126 snaps in the slot in 2022, showed good instincts, playmaking ability and physicality.

“He is a strong dude,” Tressel said. “That was one of those things I didn’t know anything about until we saw it. He’s significantly bigger than Jason Maitre was last year, for example, and has shown the willingness to be physical. We’re excited about him because that was definitely a question mark, no fault of his own.”

Nyzier Fourqurean, CB​

Fickell said Fourqurean was the most improved player on the team from last season. Fourqurean had surgery last May to address thoracic outlet syndrome — which required the removal of a rib to avoid blood clots — and he was unable to lift all offseason. Fourqurean, who started five of the last six games last season, is playing much stronger and faster and figures to pair with Ricardo Hallman on the outside next season.

Darryl Peterson, John Pius and Leon Lowery, OLBs​

You can’t mention one of these guys without talking about the other two. It feels as though Wisconsin will be much better pressuring off the edge next season because all three players were consistent presences in the backfield this spring. Pius transferred from an FCS program, William & Mary, and Lowery arrived from Syracuse. Both players have provided some juice that was lacking last season with body types that are quick and powerful.

Peterson, who led the team with 4 1/2 sacks last season, was outstanding in the spring scrimmage, and Tressel said he has embraced the added competition at the position. Peterson also can be utilized as a defensive tackle with his hand in the ground in a package that features five linebackers. Wisconsin’s outside linebackers accounted for 8 1/2 sacks total last season. I’d take the over next season.

Christian Alliegro, ILB​

Alliegro moved from outside linebacker to the inside last season and played 53 total defensive snaps. With Wisconsin adding three inside linebacker transfers this offseason — Jaheim Thomas (Arkansas), Tackett Curtis (USC) and Sebastian Cheeks (North Carolina) — it was fair to wonder where Alliegro might fit. But he earned the bulk of his snaps with the first-team defense, often paired with Jake Chaney. Curtis was sidelined for most of the spring with an injury, so his return could impact the rotation. Still, Alliegro’s combination of length and athleticism will be a factor for the defense next season.

“The hard thing for Christian was we know his skill set so we expect him to step in and be a five-year veteran, All-Big Ten type of player from day one,” Tressel said. “And that’s the accountability we’re putting on him, and I know that’s not realistic. But that’s how we’re treating him, and those are the standards we’re trying to set for him and watching him step up. Certainly, his comfort level is growing. He hasn’t had to be an every-down guy. So we’re still progressing with that, but we are holding him to the highest standards.”

#1 player in Minnesota Luke Emmerich commits to UW football, had offers from USC, Nebraska, K-state, Minnesota, Utah and many others, interest from Alabama.

6'2 200 runs a 4.42 40
Sounds like he could try to play either as a safety or a WR. I have a hunch he's going to play safety.

Back