2024 Draft Thread

i also have serious doubts that barton will still be available at #25.
People say this every year about certain players. Barton looks like a really solid player, he’s a Packer type all day, I would take him at 25 with glee. He doesn’t look to be a tackle though, and the thing is that this year there are an abnormal number of legit freak show size/athleticism OT. Those guys are going round 1 and I don’t know if Barton is enough of a generational type interior player to go before those tackles. I think that’s just the calculus with positional value. Guards are increasing in value but not generally as high as tackles. That’s something that could help GB.

On the other hand, there are a few teams ahead of GB who also seem to really value guys like that, the Cowboys are one of them. But we’ll see.

i also have serious doubts that barton will still be available at #25.
I think Barton could be there. You hear a lot he's going to end up at guard and could play tackle in a pinch. But if he does go before GB pick it would be more then a couple picks so if GB would really want him would probably not take much to move up 3-4 spots.

Barton> NFL teams should view Barton in similar lighting. He's an instant upgrade at virtually all three interior positions within the lungs of an offense. Barton carries day-one impact starter potential with an All-Pro ceiling.
I think he can play RT, and all 3 interior spots. He could start at RG for GB day 1 and can be the backup center. Value in that pick over some of the late round OT. I know RP doesn't like him but arizona offensive tackle jordan morgan smells like a potential packer pick to me....

most online articles that i have read have barton listed as a center, a position he played for part of his first season before he was moved to left tackle. i've seen him mocked to a couple of different teams ahead of the packers first pick - as a center. i get why he is a perfect fit for the packers since he is a versatile player, but i think that very same attribute is probably attractive to other teams as well. anyway, the nfl mock draft database concensus opinion is that he will be taken by the dolphins at #21.

Last edited:
Why are so many clamoring for the Packers to pick an OL early ? Yes OL is needed for depth, but we have more immediate needs now, like another safety, a ILB, a CB...... OL is the 1 position I would not want at all early, regardless who is available. Runyon being gone is the only starter change and Rhyan will fill in for him and be fine. Packers also seem to do better getting OL in the middle rounds. I wait til like round 3-5 or so before looking to take an OL. Packers usually make a move nobody saw coming though to.

I think he can play RT, and all 3 interior spots. He could start at RG for GB day 1 and can be the backup center. Value in that pick over some of the late round OT. I know RP doesn't like him but arizona offensive tackle jordan morgan smells like a potential packer pick to me....

Morgan is a Packer type 100% for sure. To me better in the 2nd than the first. I think they’ve gone a little astray with their types sometimes and gotten into trouble.

I'm starting to get the feeling that it might be CB in Rd1. OL is definitely in play if an elite OT type falls to 25. It all goes back to Ron Wolf's draft philosophy of taking the high value positions in Rd1. (That along with his height, weight, athleticism standards still permeate the Packer's draft philosophy.)

There is no S or LB worthy of Rd1. They never take RB, TE, WR, OG, or C in Rd1 and I'm not sure they do this year either. That leaves CB, OT, DL or Edge - the premium positions. If Edge or DL is all that's there, I wouldn't be surprised if they take one, but I don't see one right now that falls that is a fit for them.

I think if either DeJean or McKinstry drop to 25 the Packers take one of them at #25. If not, maybe they go with one of the versatile OL like Barton or Morgan, but only if they think they can play OT. They'd for sure take one of the top OT's if one falls, but I don't see a scenario where that happens.

The way things seem to be lining up right now, I would absolutely not be surprised if they make a slight trade down to the top of Rd2 if a CB or premium OT isn't there. Rds 2 and 3 seem to have a bunch of athletes that are fits for the Packers. It's where the athletic OG/OC types are sitting along with S, LB, and run stopping DL.

I think the Packers may be prioritizing three options, possibly four. They'll take the best man available in one of those categories, if he's anywhere near the top value for that pick.

I see them working with safety, offensive line (favoring LT if possible), and a CB capable of playing solid man coverage. The 4th priority on the list, if those three don't show a solid candidate, would be a guy who can really step in and be a dynamic middle linebacker.

Nothing, at this point, is cut in stone.

I'm starting to get the feeling that it might be CB in Rd1. OL is definitely in play if an elite OT type falls to 25. It all goes back to Ron Wolf's draft philosophy of taking the high value positions in Rd1. (That along with his height, weight, athleticism standards still permeate the Packer's draft philosophy.)

There is no S or LB worthy of Rd1. They never take RB, TE, WR, OG, or C in Rd1 and I'm not sure they do this year either. That leaves CB, OT, DL or Edge - the premium positions. If Edge or DL is all that's there, I wouldn't be surprised if they take one, but I don't see one right now that falls that is a fit for them.

I think if either DeJean or McKinstry drop to 25 the Packers take one of them at #25. If not, maybe they go with one of the versatile OL like Barton or Morgan, but only if they think they can play OT. They'd for sure take one of the top OT's if one falls, but I don't see a scenario where that happens.

The way things seem to be lining up right now, I would absolutely not be surprised if they make a slight trade down to the top of Rd2 if a CB or premium OT isn't there. Rds 2 and 3 seem to have a bunch of athletes that are fits for the Packers. It's where the athletic OG/OC types are sitting along with S, LB, and run stopping DL.
I thin Edgerrin Cooper might be worthy of a 1st round pick. He is thought to be the top non-edger rush LB in the draft and I don't think GB would get him at their pick at 41.

Also DeJean I think is a lock to end up a safety so he would be the only 1st round safety you find.

I am thinking GB takes a OL or DL at 25 if they stay there and don't trade out.

Back