49ers hunt for coach & GM

TW

Reaction score
I'm a bit confused as to whether or not the 49ers front office has a clue as to how to rebuild their team. They're interviewing both GM and coach candidates. That's not a good plan.

Most GMs don't want to have a HC and coaching staff in place that he's forced to accept. It creates a serious breach in the chain of command. GMs want to make the final decision themselves, as to who the HC will be.

I wouldn't interview for either job until they get that straight in their heads.

I've read that they have interviewed 3-4 guys for the GM job but nothing about interviews for HC

Eliot Wolf was one of those being interviewed. You do have to wonder if Eliot will want to take a job where he can't hire his own guy...

49ers search

49ers

There are other sources. York wants to hire both himself the way it sounds from sources.

Key line in that article "York said the primary goal in the search is finding a coach and general manager who can work well together". I'm sure that discussiin happens in the interview proces.​

49ers search

49ers

There are other sources. York wants to hire both himself the way it sounds from sources.

Well the 49ers seem to be interviewing everyone assistant FO person right now for GM so who knows who they will hire for GM. Also they are interviewing for HC. If I was a person interviewing for the GM job I don't know if I would want it knowing that there is a good chance I don't get to pick my HC and will be forced to work with a guy that perhaps does not meet my views on how the team should be built and run. The 49ers look like they could be setting up another Baalke and Harbaugh sitatuion were the owner forced two guys who did not like each other to work together. Shows you in SF the ownership needs to change.

Hiring Gm and HC separately didn't turn out too bad for SEA. They hired Carroll a week before Schnieder I believe.

I'm sure that both coach and gm candidates will be quizzed about who they think they could work with.

Back