53 Man Roster Prediction

CaptainD

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Founder
2024 Draft Guru
Reaction score
53 man projections

Gutekunst has already talked about possibly trading for WRers during cut down. We certainly need depth at Safety depth.

One of the stranger 53 mans I've done, but the 16 man PS really changes the calculus. Anyway, here are my guesses as of now.

Also, think back to the 53 man roster from the FIRST cut downs last year vs what the team turned into. This team is gonna change a whole lot. Hopefully in the way of players getting healthier, depth players stepping up, rookies like Enagbare building off a really nice finish to pre-season and becoming a viable #3 edge rusher, the rookies can contribute.

QB(2) Rodgers, Love
PS-Etling is athletic, but I don't see him ever developing into a full time QB. He's a Joe Webb.

RB(3)
Jones, Dillon, Goodson, Hill(PUP)

PS-Taylor

I think this is going to be a REAL close one. Taylor is a power back who is VERY good in pass pro, he's also good in kick coverage. He's not explosive like Goodson, he's not

WRer(7)
Watson, Doubs, Lazard, Rodgers, Toure, Cobb, Watkins

PS-Winfree, Travis Fulgrham(He just got here too late to make any inroads, but we've seen him produce and he knows the offense).
Wouldn't be shocked to see Watkins not make the team and then brought back after week 1 or Gutekunst go out and make a trade or claim as he alluded to earlier this camp when he said, after the Julio singing that there's no much available, that could change at the end of camp.

TE(4)
Deguara, Davis, Lewis, Tonyan

PS-Cannella(I think he'll play a role in the passing game at some point this season. He's been impressive as a pass catcher, but obviously not much of a blocker.)

Davis has done just about all he can to lose that job. Becker may have had a chance, and he looked good as a blocker and was a big target, but went out with what appeared to be a rathr sinigicant injry. With question about Tonyan and Daffney already gone, this is definitely a position I could see them making a waiver claim.

OL-(10)
Bakhtiari,Nijman, Runyan, Myers, Hanson, Newman, Rhyan, Jenkins, Tom, Jones

PS-Walker

I really don't get the appeal of Hanson, but he's been rotating with the 1s and he's got a chance to start the season. Walker showed a lot tonight. That he can move, that he's pretty physical. That he's worth a RS year and a PS spot.
MLF has never kept 10, but he's never had this type of talent 1-10 and he's also never went into the season with his two best players out.

By the way, Myers has looked like an absolute animal in the run game in his limited snaps vs the better DL. Rhyan looks great at times, but he's still getting beat in pass protection with quickness.
The idea that Yosh could get floated makes a lot of sense. He's got a full year on tape. Caleb Jones is more valuable being a rook with 4 years of team control, but I'd imagine teams would prefer to go with the guy who got 600 snaps last year.

DL-(6)
Clark, Lowry, Slaton, Reed, Wyatt, Slayton

PS-Heflin, Ford

I could go either way with Slayton or Heflin. Heflin had a bit splash play tonight with the 4th and 1 tackle, but he was just unblocked. He's been good either way, but so has Slayton. Slayton is more athletic AND has done a good job getting off blocks and anchors well in the run game.

I do think one of the two will get claimed(Heflin or Slayton, whoever's not on the 53 man).

Wyatt was the guy I wanted at #22. He's looked...very average thus far. His defense vs the run leaves a lot to be desired, but he does have an exceptional 1st step and hopefully he'll earn playing time as the year goes on, but man, he looked brutal this last game vs the Chiefs. Moved off the ball consistently, really no plan to his rush, often just ended up as a QB spy. But he can beat ANYONE with that first step.

Edge-(4)
Gary, Smith, Enagbare, Garvin,

PS-Kobe Jones, Galeai, LaDarius Hamilton.

I'm lost here after the first 3 who are all locks. Garvin has looked...reliable. Jones has really flashed at times. Quay Walker's ability to come up and play Edge provides some depth here. Enagbare has been really been solid vs some of the few starting OL we've played. He's just steady, collapses the pocket, plays the run. Any of the other 3 could make the 53, but this is where I'd stick with 4 to be able to go with 10 OL, 6 DL.

MLBer(4)-Campbell, Walker, Barnes, McDuffie

Easiest group. Maybe Wilborn for the PS, but these 4 are all very clearly the 4 best. McDuffie took a huge 2nd year jump(it would appeaer). Barnes is limited and he always will be, but he can run and hit. Also good on STs, as is McDuffie.

CB(6)
-Alexander, Stokes, Douglas, Nixon, Jean-Charles, Thomas

PS-Gafford, Ento
Gafford blew coverage in multiple games. He's sticky and athletic, but he's not ready to play. Ento I think could play safety/CB. That Will Redmond role. Both converted WRers.

S(4)
Amos, Savage, Davis, Leavitt

PS-Carpenter. Abernathy to the 53 man after Leavitt goes on IR

Carpenter likely takes the spot of Leavitt after the initial 53 man and Leavitt is put on IR. I don't see it. Leavitt in limited time blew a coverage, missed a few tackles, but this group is 3 deep and MAYBE Abernathy can prove to be depth in the base, not just for STs. But he didn't look especially good in either regard. I'd take Aber

This is definitely a position they should be looking for upgrades.

STs (3)
Crosby
Coco
O'Donnell

PS-Ahmed

I would keep Heflin cut Toure. Don't need 7 WR's and Toure has not shown he's anything more then a PS player at this point.

Also Watkins is making this team they are not cutting him. He was not asked to play in pre-season so the team and Rodgers like him so I think he's safe. Disagree on Fulgram the guy is nothing but a career PS player he was here 9 days last time in TC so would not say he knows the offense. I would rather keep Winfree and Toure on PS.

Do agree pretty much with rest of your guesses. I have Jones 50/50 on making the team. While he has talent he's still very green and not ready to play. Would GB want to keep him on the 53 man to never play him?

Won't bother with the full 53, but have a few players to highlight:

Gone:
Juwann Winfree. Not any good. Can't get open and can't fight for balls when he's covered. Special teams sucks either way.

Keep:
Chris Slayton (not T.J. Slaton). Good interior disruptor. Even if he's not a stout run-stuffer, his skills are at a premium in the NFL.
Micah Abernathy. Good instincts and excellent tackler. Sort of the opposite of what we used to covet in safeties from a decade ago. Was the best safety on the team to play meaningfully in the preseason.

QB (2) Rodgers, Love
RB (3) A. Jones, Dillon, Taylor
WR (7) Lazard, Watkins, Cobb, Watson, Doubs, Am Rodgers, Toure
TE (4) Lewis, Tonyan, DeGuara, T. Davis
OL (10) Myers, Hanson, Jenkins, Runyan, Tom, Bakhtiari, C. Jones, Nijman, Newman, Rhyan
DL (5) Clark, Lowry, Reed, Slaton, Wyatt
OLB (5) Gary, Smith, Enagbare, Galeai, Garvin
LB (4) Campbell, Walker, McDuffie, Barnes
CB (6) Alexander, Douglas, Stokes, Jean-Charles, Nixon, Thomas
S (4) Savage, Amos, Abernathy, Davis
ST (3) Crosby, O'Donnell, Coco

PUP: Hill

Practice Squad: Danny Etling, Tyler Goodson Dexter Williams, Ishmael Hyman, Juwann Winfree, Sal Cannella, Rasheed Walker, Jack Heflin, Chris Slayton, Kobe Jones, LaDarius Hamilton Ty Summers, Ray Wilborn Rico Gafford, Tariq Carpenter, Ramiz Ahmed.

Special teams remain a significant work in progress.

While acknowledging special teams coordinator Rich Bisaccia auditioned players up and down the roster for potential roles, requiring constant personnel changes from rep to rep each preseason game, LaFleur said the film from Thursday's game was upsetting beyond the poor results.

He said players were seen using "made-up techniques" that aren't coached in practice, and not giving legitimate effort in the game's third phase. Without naming names, he indicated the film showed plenty of reasons for certain players to get cut by Tuesday.

"It was definitely not good enough the other night, that's for sure," he said. "We definitely got it taken to us pretty good by Kansas City, and our guys understand that. We're never going to run from that or hide from that."

My take is kinda based on the new PS rules which let you bring players up multiple times. My approach would be based on cutting guys you can likely bring back and keeping guys who likely wouldn't clear waivers.

QB (2) Rodgers, Love - pretty obvious, with Etling to the PS.

RB (3) Jones, Dillon, Taylor - Taylor's pass blocking overrules the more dynamic runner in Goodson. This was the toughest cut. Likely neither Taylor or Goodson clear waivers so you lose one of them.

WR (8) Lazard, Watkins, Cobb, Watson, Doubs, Rodgers, Toure, Winfree - only because AR likes Winfree and they probably want to avoid pissing off QB1 - ugh.

TE (3) Lewis, Tonyan, DeGuara - too light, but I think they'll do this because they think they can get Davis back on the PS.

OL (11) Myers, Hanson, Jenkins, Runyan, Tom, Bakhtiari, Jones, Nijman, Newman, Rhyan, Walker - Walker looked pretty solid in that 3rd preseason game. He'd probably get claimed.

DL (5) Clark, Lowry, Reed, TJ Slaton, Wyatt - Heflin probably deserves a spot and maybe C Slayton as well, but I think they'll go with 5 hoping they can get one or two of Heflin, Slayton and Ford on the PS.

OLB (4) Gary, Smith, Enagbare, Galeai - same as DL, I think they'll keep these 4 with the idea of getting a couple of the other guys on the PS. Nobody has looked good enough in that group to think they'll all be claimed.

LB (4) Campbell, Walker, McDuffie, Barnes - easiest group to predict.

CB (5) Alexander, Douglas, Stokes, Jean-Charles, Nixon - it's a pretty crappy group depthwise with none of the cuts likely to get claimed, so go ahead and cut them and bring back anybody you want to the PS.

S (5) Savage, Amos, Abernathy, Davis, Leavitt - Leavitt likely to get put on IR the next day and Carpenter likely added back to the 53.

ST (3) Crosby, O'Donnell, Coco - assuming Crosby is ready otherwise Ahmed kicks for the first part of the season.

My take is kinda based on the new PS rules which let you bring players up multiple times. My approach would be based on cutting guys you can likely bring back and keeping guys who likely wouldn't clear waivers.

QB (2) Rodgers, Love - pretty obvious, with Etling to the PS.

RB (3) Jones, Dillon, Taylor - Taylor's pass blocking overrules the more dynamic runner in Goodson. This was the toughest cut. Likely neither Taylor or Goodson clear waivers so you lose one of them.

WR (8) Lazard, Watkins, Cobb, Watson, Doubs, Rodgers, Toure, Winfree - only because AR likes Winfree and they probably want to avoid pissing off QB1 - ugh.

TE (3) Lewis, Tonyan, DeGuara - too light, but I think they'll do this because they think they can get Davis back on the PS.

OL (11) Myers, Hanson, Jenkins, Runyan, Tom, Bakhtiari, Jones, Nijman, Newman, Rhyan, Walker - Walker looked pretty solid in that 3rd preseason game. He'd probably get claimed.

DL (5) Clark, Lowry, Reed, TJ Slaton, Wyatt - Heflin probably deserves a spot and maybe C Slayton as well, but I think they'll go with 5 hoping they can get one or two of Heflin, Slayton and Ford on the PS.

OLB (4) Gary, Smith, Enagbare, Galeai - same as DL, I think they'll keep these 4 with the idea of getting a couple of the other guys on the PS. Nobody has looked good enough in that group to think they'll all be claimed.

LB (4) Campbell, Walker, McDuffie, Barnes - easiest group to predict.

CB (5) Alexander, Douglas, Stokes, Jean-Charles, Nixon - it's a pretty crappy group depthwise with none of the cuts likely to get claimed, so go ahead and cut them and bring back anybody you want to the PS.

S (5) Savage, Amos, Abernathy, Davis, Leavitt - Leavitt likely to get put on IR the next day and Carpenter likely added back to the 53.

ST (3) Crosby, O'Donnell, Coco - assuming Crosby is ready otherwise Ahmed kicks for the first part of the season.
I can't see keeping 8 WR's Toure and Winfree are JAG's nothing speical and both clear waivers. Screw Rodgers if he does not like it he talks up crap WR's all the time that never do anything his praise means nothing.

I can't see keeping 8 WR's Toure and Winfree are JAG's nothing speical and both clear waivers. Screw Rodgers if he does not like it he talks up crap WR's all the time that never do anything his praise means nothing.
They made some kind of deal with Aaron. He's got front office power now.

Toure is more for the future, Winfree is more for now. Aaron wants a guy with experience, even if his ceiling isn't as high.

They made some kind of deal with Aaron. He's got front office power now.

Toure is more for the future, Winfree is more for now. Aaron wants a guy with experience, even if his ceiling isn't as high.
Toure is a rookie likely not getting claimed cut him Winfree he could not make the team last year. It's not like we have a top 5 WR group more like bottom 5. I don't see the point in keeping PS guys on the roster in a not needed worry they will get claimed.

Put the guys on the PS call them up if needed. When was the last time we had a WR get claimed fans were so worried if we cut would get claimed?

Also Rodgers got a huge contract he should have zero roster say he does. He's gone in a year or two so he plays with what team gives him. Him wanting $50 million a year limited this roster so he plays with what the team decides to give him.

Back