Bucks quest for a new arena

there are projections that the new arena would bring a $1 billion boost to the state's economy with additional related construction projects and 15,000 new jobs.

I don't believe that for a second.

I believe the 1 billion in terms of a one-time spend since the arena and related construction will likely cost $600mil. Then there are already discussions of the cost to remove the Bradley/BMO Harris building and putting something new on that site along with additional development to the north and west of the arena. $1bil, one time . . . makes sense.

The 15,000 jobs is "vapor". There will be a bunch of construction jobs created, but they'll be temporary. (Plus, some of those construction jobs will be for out-of-state employees so won't contribute much to the Wisconsin economy.) There will be jobs in the new arena and surrounding businesses, but some of those will be offset by jobs lost when the Bradley Center closes and other businesses lose out to the new businesses that are created. 15,000 "new" jobs is smoke and mirrors.

Deadlines spur actions. It's all posturing. The league does not want to buy back the team

Deadlines spur actions. It's all posturing. The league does not want to buy back the team
WI is a cheap ass state though. Would not be shocked if they vote no saying they don't care if Bucks move as they don't want taxes to be used.

WI is a cheap ass state though. Would not be shocked if they vote no saying they don't care if Bucks move as they don't want taxes to be used.

I would be shocked if they moved. No arena solutions in Las Vegas orvSeattle, league wants the team in Milwaukee. This is all about posturing it will happen.

Owners share a billion dollars with buying and selling the team though.

Owners share a billion dollars with buying and selling the team though.
And arena issues in both cities mentioned. The league does not want the bs of finding new ownership.

This is all about negotiations. Too much to lose on both sides

Agree, that this likely gets done. It always takes the usual threats right up until the last minute to get stuff done.

Las Vegas has a new 20,000 seat arena going up. They broke ground a year ago. I would think that would solve their "arena" problem. I think the problem with Vegas is probably more that owners worry about all the potential distractions of flying their guys into Vegas multiple times a year.

Seattle has ownership issues as well as arena issues. Apparently the current Seattle group looking for a team has not endeared itself to Silver.

Kansas City is supposedly emerging as a possibility as well. They built an arena with public money in 2007 with no permanent tenant. Imagine that . . . a city that saw the opportunity to improve it's downtown and used public money to do it. In the meantime, the Sprint Center is used for concerts and other events and has hosted a variety of NCAA basketball events. KC might well emerge as a top contender if the Bucks are sold back to the NBA.

Agree, that this likely gets done. It always takes the usual threats right up until the last minute to get stuff done.

Las Vegas has a new 20,000 seat arena going up. They broke ground a year ago. I would think that would solve their "arena" problem. I think the problem with Vegas is probably more that owners worry about all the potential distractions of flying their guys into Vegas multiple times a year.

Seattle has ownership issues as well as arena issues. Apparently the current Seattle group looking for a team has not endeared itself to Silver.

Kansas City is supposedly emerging as a possibility as well. They built an arena with public money in 2007 with no permanent tenant. Imagine that . . . a city that saw the opportunity to improve it's downtown and used public money to do it. In the meantime, the Sprint Center is used for concerts and other events and has hosted a variety of NCAA basketball events. KC might well emerge as a top contender if the Bucks are sold back to the NBA.

The issue with Vegas is that the arena is a joint partnership with AEG & MGM Resorts. Unless one or the other is part of any ownership group , unlikely , it becomes an issue because if revenue streams. New ownership would want to control revenue. Plus local TV rights would be minimal.

KC is interesting. For years the NHL has looked at that facility. Again issues are local broadcast and corporate revenue streams.

Back