Datone Jones to line up as 'elephant' for Packers in 2016

I hear what you are saying Salmar but this fitting players that are a square peg into a round hole seems to happen way too much.

The question is: Is it TT and not wanting to admit he screwed up in the draft (Ego) or is MM and Capers trying to do whatever they can to make this defense formidable with TT's crappy picks and not wanting to go out and get FA's.

I think it is a combination of both.

Ted may be stubborn but he's the last person on earth I'd say has a huge ego.

It seems they drafted a square peg for a square hole according to Mike Mayock.

"Because Green Bay plays a 3-4 defense, this kid is an ideal fit. I love this kid's upside. He fits the scheme. He's the only one I saw who beat Eric Fisher all week long in one-on-one." -- Mike Mayock

UCLA plays a 3-4 and Datone played DE in the 3-4 in college so it seemed a perfect fit for the Pack a the time. He was a bit on the lighter side, but I think most people figured he'd add 15-20 lbs and would be a solid fit for the scheme.

Seems that didn't work out, or at least not so perfectly, so now they are going to try and see what they can get out of him. I'm not seeing it but I guess they figure they might as well get something out of him. I suspect he will not see a 2nd contract on G.B. Despite playing 3-4 DE in college, he might be best off as a strong side DE in a 4-3.

Unless he finds his niche at OLB. Ya never know...

Back