Dougherty: Packers must find help for thin offensive line

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
The Packers have a fine starting offensive line, but the preseason has exposed how thin they are if their starters get hurt.

home

Continue reading...

The Packers better be prepared to determine what players they're willing to let go after they reach the 53 man roster, because they're going to have to find guys they can plug into our system, and make work. There will be a couple of free agents out there that should/could help, he just needs to pull the trigger. They are going to have to gamble that they can also stash guys on the practice squad who will be members of the team in the not too distant future, if they develop.

This is going to be the most critical decision making on a roster that the Packers have had in several years. We've lost so many players over the last couple years, through FA and cuts.

How aggressive they are on cut down day I think will depend on how Barclay and bulaga's ankles respond. If they feel Barclay will be ready to step in by week 1-3, they may be more inclined to stand pat. I'm not nuts about him but I'd be comfortable with him at any of the three interior positions. I kinda trust Murphy at RT to back up. I don't know what the contingency is at LT. Spriggs is an investment at that position, you're not going to find a capable LT backup on cut down day. They'll have to make something internal work there, i.e. Move Bulaga over.

Now if Barclay looks more like an IR case they will have to be aggressive grabbing someone to back up the interior, because I just can't see pulling McCray off the bench and having him snap to Rodgers.

Just like every other team in the league. Most don't have our starting OL caliber though.

Just like every other team in the league. Most don't have our starting OL caliber though.

I think that is part of the issue. The starting line is so strong that unless you have starting quality backups the drop off seems severe. Problem is the minute you have starting quality backups they move to other teams for the staring job.

Back