Future DC Thread

On Parker, he's coming from an awful Denver D, last yr they gave up 70 to the Dolphins. 29th in yards allows. 22nd in passing yards. 30th In rushing yards allowed. 27th in points allowed. 22nd in redzone scoring. Dead last in yards per rush.

Don't really care how old/young he is but his last 2 seasons in Denver they were anything but great defensively. So he knows Fangios system blah blah, that system failed in Miami last yr with some really good athletes on the field. To me ML should go out of his comfort zone and switch systems. Jut my tc(

On Parker, he's coming from an awful Denver D, last yr they gave up 70 to the Dolphins. 29th in yards allows. 22nd in passing yards. 30th In rushing yards allowed. 27th in points allowed. 22nd in redzone scoring. Dead last in yards per rush.

Don't really care how old/young he is but his last 2 seasons in Denver they were anything but great defensively. So he knows Fangios system blah blah, that system failed in Miami last yr with some really good athletes on the field. To me ML should go out of his comfort zone and switch systems. Jut my tc(
I agree about how he needs to get out of his comfort zone. The problem is, the majority of the interviews seem to be disciples of the system they already employ. It must mean that ML believe they have nearly all the tools needed, just not the right sideline leadership.

I guess, after the new hire is named, the upcoming draft, and free agency activity, we'll know a lot more about what the intentions are. At this point, I am just plain hesitant to guess.

Mark asked me to post my thoughts here, for full transparency we met years ago while at a coaching clinic. I am not nearly as well schooled as Mark is but I sure know my basic X and O's.

I believe on-field talent tends to play a bigger role in how good an NFL defense is, probably more so than a D Coordinator with a unique/gimmicky scheme - I think the conflict happens when players' strengths don't fit a DC's preferred scheme well enough, and then the defensive performance disappoints. That may very well be the case with Barry and this defense that has been loaded up with 1st round draft picks - but part of that is many of them were still developmental projects that had to be worked into the rotation in years 1-2 of their careers.

It was definitely time for Barry to move on, but I also think not looking at veteran "fossil" DCs to bring in and trying to find the next great defensive mind is probably missing the boat on who the best option might be. People slammed McCarthy for bringing in Dom Capers for these same reasons and then they won the Super Bowl in large part due to their defense, which sealed multiple playoff wins for that team.

Actually, a similar type of move now that the Capers hire was would be Ron Rivera - recently fired head coach with varied periods of success early in his career as a head coach and DC, happens to prefer/run a base scheme opposite of what the Packers have been doing (Rivera is a 4-3 guy), but frankly the current defensive roster has some tweener OLBs who could slide into 4-3 DEs and I think Quay Walker would be an absolute monster as a Will LB.

And I'd also say that a DC's shelf life in the NFL for one team seems to be limited to just a few seasons, anyway - get a good young one that seem to know what he's doing in there and he'll leave for a HC gig elsewhere in a year or two, bring in an established fossil and after the first couple seasons his approach tends to get stale and he's either canned by the HC or leaves after the whole staff and GM get fired. Really difficult to bring in a solid DC and have him stay in that role long term successfully, unless that's the only role he wants after a previous failed HC gig...Spagnuolo with the Chiefs is that guy, IMO - and even he's had defenses who have struggled with that team due to limited defensive talent.

Just food for thought

Back