Ian Rapoport On TT

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
From this morning :http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...stay-the-course-with-fox?campaign=Twitter_atn

If you're looking for a surprise, the Packers could be it. While the coaching staff may tinker after the season, including possibly OC Edgar Bennett likely getting head coach interviews, it is expected to have minimal changes. The front office, however, is a different story. GM Ted Thompson is under contract through 2018, but this could be the year he steps aside and becomes a senior scouting adviser. If Green Bay has success in the playoffs, that possibility increases. There are a few reasons why: First of all, Director of Football Operations Eliot Wolf is coveted and he'll have opportunities to interview as a GM elsewhere. The organization could risk losing him if he's not promoted. Second of all, CEO Mark Murphy still hasn't hired his own guy, and he's been around the organization much more this year as he studies things from the inside. There are plenty of talented people in the Packers front office -- VP Russ Ball, Director of Player Personnel Brian Gutekunst and Senior Personnel Executive Alonzo Highsmith among them. And this could be the year Thompson steps aside to make way for them.

Wouldn't mind seeing the change at the top. However I don't want Wolf in there (I'd rather have Highsmith or someone form outside the org) and that whole part about "stepping into a senior scouting advisor" line bothers me.

It's never a good idea for an old boss to hang around no matter his new position. And it especially is true for scouting as I don't have a very high opinion of TT's talent eval abilities over last 5 drafts or so. That's not all on TT his scouting dept bears some blame as well. But keeping TT around means no changes to said scouting dept and the added disadvantage of any conflicts in scouting between TT and someone else having the Old vs New angle to it.

Need a clean break. He can go scout for someone else if he wants, but it's not a good idea for him to stick around. Retire or don't.

Its a start, but I still dont see anything changing as long as McCarthy and this coaching staff is there. I still believe this coaching staff is at fault for not developing alot of these draft picks or young players and the refusal to use some guys even when the ones playing cant get it done. They are just to stuck in their ways and use a stale offense and defense that doesnt get it done. If this report is correct and they do promote from within, Im guessing we are stuck with McCarthy at the minimum til his contract is up, possibly longer. If they go outside the team, better chance a new GM scraps the coaching staff and brings in his own guy. Will be interesting to see what goes down...

Only reason for TT to step down is the guy they have in plans to replace Ted has told them if I am not promoted to GM I am going to listen to offers from other teams this off-season

All I want is a GM who uses ALL avenues to procure players; draft, trades, FA, etc. I also want a guy who knows how to draft good to great defensive players. No more Thorntons, Jerel Worthys, Abdul Hodges, and McMillians high in the draft (there are others I can't recall at the moment)! That has driven this Packer fan nutz at times! Hopefully, Ted picked those on his own and wasn't advised to draft them by whoever replaces him! Shocked(

And please...no more drafts where only ONE PLAYER remains on the roster after a couple years!! That wouldn't be so bad if Ted used other means to get players.

Last edited:
Back